U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,753,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But many Democrats are concluding that they may not have the muscle to pass such a controversial measure — at least not now, and possibly not until after the 2010 mid-term elections.
Quote:
The biggest obstacle to speedy passage of a citizenship plan, according to interviews with lawmakers and Capitol Hill strategists, is the House. Democrats hold a wide majority there, but at least 40 members represent moderate or conservative swing districts where legalization plans are unpopular and often derided as "amnesty" for lawbreakers.

"This is a very, very difficult issue," said Rep. Jason Altmire, a Democrat elected in 2006 from rural western Pennsylvania. "The Democratic Party is doing everything they can to capture this very fast-growing community, and I understand that. But I'm not in that camp."
Immigration ticklish for Obama | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Well, it's good to read that some Democrats may have the intellect to realize that granting an amnesty in 2009 is not the best decision to consider when our country is already coping with so many domestic and foreign problems.

But, of course, the pro-illegal advocates and ethnocentric 'civil rights' groups will always beg to differ.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 PM

3,922 posts, read 3,481,773 times
Wow, it is awesome how our reps are trying to grant privilege to a growing criminal population just to secure votes from the illegal community. Yet another example of the now completely disfunctional two party system. Don't you people get it? It's not about freedom, democracy, the Constitution. It's about two rival gangs fighting for support. This is not what our country is supposed to be about yet every other post shows just how deeply we, the American people, are under this political spell. Bi partisan politics is effectively destroying the morals and values of this country. And all in the name of power that these reps shouldn't have in the first place.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:44 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,555,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Wow, it is awesome how our reps are trying to grant privilege to a growing criminal population just to secure votes from the illegal community. Yet another example of the now completely disfunctional two party system. Don't you people get it? It's not about freedom, democracy, the Constitution. It's about two rival gangs fighting for support. This is not what our country is supposed to be about yet every other post shows just how deeply we, the American people, are under this political spell. Bi partisan politics is effectively destroying the morals and values of this country. And all in the name of power that these reps shouldn't have in the first place.
The last time I looked, regarding the illegal Mexican invasion, it is CURRENTLY just one of the two dysfunctional parties that is blatantly hispandering to the illegal Mexicans future Democratic voters if amnestied. The majority of Republican Congressmen have tried to get the SAVE Act passed, get e-verify extended, and much much more. while the majority of Democratic Congressmen have blocked every effort to fight the illegal Mexican invasion. Just thought you should know.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:03 PM

706 posts, read 890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
The last time I looked, regarding the illegal Mexican invasion, it is CURRENTLY just one of the two dysfunctional parties that is blatantly hispandering to the illegal Mexicans future Democratic voters if amnestied. The majority of Republican Congressmen have tried to get the SAVE Act passed, get e-verify extended, and much much more. while the majority of Democratic Congressmen have blocked every effort to fight the illegal Mexican invasion. Just thought you should know.

Agreed.....We had roughly 8 years of the Shrub administration attempting to pass the very same agenda.And given another opportunity they would attempt it again....

As I said earlier the repubs and dems are two wings on the same bird of prey.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Agreed.....We had roughly 8 years of the Shrub administration attempting to pass the very same agenda.And given another opportunity they would attempt it again....

As I said earlier the repubs and dems are two wings on the same bird of prey.
Well, that was the incompetent jorge that thought amnestied poverty stricken uneducated mexicans who don't speak English might become Republicans. CURRENTLY the majority of Republicans are fighting the illegal mexican invasion and the hispandering career Democratic politicians in charge are blocking anything and everything that fights the illegal mexican invasion. Scumbags. Comment?

Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 AM

I stand by my statement.

As both parties are hell-bent on being re-elected, they will pander to whomever they believe will get the job done....

If voting along party lines did not exist,then this would be a moot discussion. Amnesty would have passed during the Bush years.....or perhaps sooner.

since the issue of ilegal immigration,and amnesty, has been around for at least 30 years, Why has only one been passed ? (simpson/mazzoli)......

the game continues........

Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I stand by my statement.

As both parties are hell-bent on being re-elected, they will pander to whomever they believe will get the job done....

If voting along party lines did not exist,then this would be a moot discussion. Amnesty would have passed during the Bush years.....or perhaps sooner.

since the issue of ilegal immigration,and amnesty, has been around for at least 30 years, Why has only one been passed ? (simpson/mazzoli)......

the game continues........
Well, OK then. You somehow think that the history of illegal immigration in this country has a lot of bearing on what is CURRENTLY going on TODAY. Both political parties are dysfunctional but the left wing Democratic politicians in control of Congress are guilty of blatant hispandering and are trying hard to amnesty the illegal mexican future democratic voters, if amnestied. The Republican politicians, aware that if the illegal mexicans are amnestied, realize that that they will come out on the short end when it comes to future voters, and are therefore fighting illegal immigration. It's also plain to see that these hispandering Democratic politicians are trying to block the Republican politicians attempts at fighting illegal immigration.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Roguer...

I'm not going to belabor the point,nor criticize your point of view. I remember that during the last election,both Obama and McCain were attempting to outdo each other in their attempt to garner the "hispanic" vote. In fact,McAmnesty has been pushing for a "path to citizenship" even prior his coronation by the republican party. If the republican party was really interested in fighting illegal immigration,why would they have annointed McCain as their nominee, knowing full well his stance on the issue ? Just to keep the Democrats out of office ? That ploy didn't work...the people were tired of shrub,and they wanted "change"....at any cost...and McCain offered nothing...So we ended up the the "poser in chief"

No offense intended..

Regards.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Roguer...

I'm not going to belabor the point,nor criticize your point of view. I remember that during the last election,both Obama and McCain were attempting to outdo each other in their attempt to garner the "hispanic" vote. In fact,McAmnesty has been pushing for a "path to citizenship" even prior his coronation by the republican party. If the republican party was really interested in fighting illegal immigration,why would they have annointed McCain as their nominee, knowing full well his stance on the issue ? Just to keep the Democrats out of office ? That ploy didn't work...the people were tired of shrub,and they wanted "change"....at any cost...and McCain offered nothing...So we ended up the the "poser in chief"

No offense intended..

Regards.
I'm not taking any offense. I think that we are on the same side. I just think that you're talking in generalities, which is OK, and I'm talking about what is the reality going on between both parties today regarding illegal immigration. McCain was hispandering, to try to squeeze out a few latino votes. He didn't have the Republican support to actually pass an amnesty. Now isn't it blatantly obvious that as far as illegal immigration goes right now, today, the majority of Republican politicians are trying to pass legislation to fight the illegal mexican invasion and the career left wing Democrats in control now are blocking every effort the Republicans are making to fight illegal immigration.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Roguer....
We are on the same side. And I will support any attempt to thwart the pro-illegal lobby and defeat any attempt at amnesty...
My problem is simple....who do I trust ? I'm very careful as I have seen to many pols say one thing and then do another after being elected.

As I said.....I put my support behind the cause....not a politician telling me what I want to hear...Their record should speak for itself.

BL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration