Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 PM

60 posts, read 241,574 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first time posting in this forum.

My parents immigrated from Belize to Los Angeles 30 years ago, and legally. It took them years for approval and they have been citizens for a long time. He is a veteran of the US Army. Neither of them went to college but they are both informed and caring people with the most integrity I've ever seen. We are mostly of Hispanic descent with a small amount of British but we look for the most part hispanic. They raised me well, I am now at a top 5% university on a full scholarship. My parents love this country, they are on the lower end of the money stick probably being middle class, yet are still republicans. As a hispanic male growing up in L.A. I felt happy. My parents bought their home 30 years ago when Inglewood was still beautiful and was culturally diverse. Things have changed.

I feel like it is hard growing up hispanic here. My father always complains about Mexican illegal immigrants making the rest of us look bad. I have to agree with him completely. Because I am similar looking to some of them, I feel like the rest of the U.S. views me as another mouth on welfare when it couldn't be further than the truth. A summer ago I found my parent's property's fence tagged with Mexican gang territory claims. That was my breaking point. I feel like there are good people in this world, but I just can't see it in most of these people. When they moved in around us, our neighorhood changed. We began to see more grafitti. For the most part, our neighborhood has fought them and won, erasing grafitti with a day. It is still quiet, no violence, just an occasional idiot rolling through with loud music. The other day I saw a car going at least 70 mph straight through 2 stop signs. You can bet I managed to see a mexican flag on the car. I feel like these idiots make the rest of us America loving hispanics look bad. I no longer know what to do. What the hell is happening to Los Angeles? I am now sterotyped unfairly, see more crime, deal with more scumbags, and now worry about my parents. I almost feel a hatred growing within me for these people. My father had to go to the hospital because of a heart problem, you can bet he got a big bill. We saw an illegal with a huge scar on his chest and stitches telling his wife they wouldn't pay a dime FOR OPEN HEART SURGERY. I don't know how I can be happy here again.

What is your advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Work to have the immigration laws enforced, make sure political candidates realize that you are looking at their record on this issue.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,379 times
As a fellow Hispanic looking person here, I can tell you that my resentment and anger is certainly growing. You're not alone here.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,083,793 times
First of all you show the differance between a LEGAL immigrant and an ILLEGAL immigrant. Your parents came here with something invested. The illegal immigrant that cross our borders start by showing their contempt for our laws and invest nothing. For the most part they are here to take.

Other immigrants will pay a price because they do not stand up against illegal immigration because there are so many that come legally and then bring in their family members illegally.

Illegal immigrants are fast destroying this country, have no loyality to this country and soon we will look like the countries they came from.

What should you do? Stand up and demand your representitives stop illegal immigration. Its' too bad we do not see legal immigrants marching in our streets with the American flag and with signs that say "We Followed the Laws" "We Paid the Price" "Go Home and Stand in Line"

Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,549,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALove24 View Post

My parents immigrated from Belize to Los Angeles 30 years ago, and legally. It took them years for approval and they have been citizens for a long time. He is a veteran of the US Army. Neither of them went to college but they are both informed and caring people with the most integrity I've ever seen. We are mostly of Hispanic descent with a small amount of British but we look for the most part hispanic. They raised me well, I am now at a top 5% university on a full scholarship. My parents love this country, they are on the lower end of the money stick probably being middle class, yet are still republicans. As a hispanic male growing up in L.A. I felt happy. My parents bought their home 30 years ago when Inglewood was still beautiful and was culturally diverse. Things have changed.

I feel like it is hard growing up hispanic here. My father always complains about Mexican illegal immigrants making the rest of us look bad. I have to agree with him completely. Because I am similar looking to some of them, I feel like the rest of the U.S. views me as another mouth on welfare when it couldn't be further than the truth. A summer ago I found my parent's property's fence tagged with Mexican gang territory claims. That was my breaking point. I feel like there are good people in this world, but I just can't see it in most of these people. When they moved in around us, our neighorhood changed. We began to see more grafitti. For the most part, our neighborhood has fought them and won, erasing grafitti with a day. It is still quiet, no violence, just an occasional idiot rolling through with loud music. The other day I saw a car going at least 70 mph straight through 2 stop signs. You can bet I managed to see a mexican flag on the car. I feel like these idiots make the rest of us America loving hispanics look bad. I no longer know what to do. What the hell is happening to Los Angeles? I am now sterotyped unfairly, see more crime, deal with more scumbags, and now worry about my parents. I almost feel a hatred growing within me for these people. My father had to go to the hospital because of a heart problem, you can bet he got a big bill. We saw an illegal with a huge scar on his chest and stitches telling his wife they wouldn't pay a dime FOR OPEN HEART SURGERY. I don't know how I can be happy here again.

What is your advice?
In sme respects, my family and loved ones are in the same situation you're in, as far as being 'misunderstood' by some people, and having assumptions made by others.

I have no advice except to 'hang in there', for this is YOUR country, unlike some others. Your post does paint a depressing picture of just how 'delicate' a free, self-governing, and benevolent society can be, and how important it is in a free society to police OURSELVES...and how tragically things can spin out of control, once those who are SUPPOSED to enforce our laws decide to stop doing so.

Our total and inexcusable refusal to do ANYTHING about illegal immigration has now produced a situation in which we ALL suffer.....the American-born, as WELL as legal immigrants....and ironically, even the ILLEGALS are unhappy, as well. NOBODY respects a country...or any OTHER institution...that doesn't enforce its own rules. And now we're beginning to reap the reward of 40 years of neglect....anger, frustration, ethnic hatred, and an increasing descent into a more 'tribal' society. And it was all preventable, if we'd just been "firm" from the beginning.

My best wishes to you, and I know that somehow you'll 'make it'...if not in LA, then possibly elsewhere.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 PM

85 posts, read 137,274 times
LALoves24,

Thank you for sharing your story. Believe me, there are a lot of fine upstanding citizens such as yourself going through the same thing. It's a shame you feel shunned because I've never witnesses that in the "politically correct" SF Bay Area. As the other members suggested, please stand up to illegal immigration... this country's out-of-control politicians have helped create this mess that affects all of us here legally. You're in a difficult area, as the SoCal border is almost a free crossing between the two countries. Keep making your family proud, and I'm glad you're happy as an American.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,851,155 times
Firstly, I would like to thank you for speaking up against these illegal immigrants and not doing everything you can to justify their actions and use the same pro-illegal and ethnocentric nonsense that others have done so in the past.

So, what can you do? The first thing I'd recommend is to guard your property. If illegal aliens knows that you're weak they'll probably think that you're worthy enough to be preyed upon considering that many have no respect for the law by continuing to be here illegally.

Secondly, I'd ensure that you contact the authorities immediately and whenever necessary if any illegal alien intends on causing direct trouble. The litigious society which we live in will ensure that radical politically correct opportunists will smear and frivolously pursue you no matter what the situation.

Thirdly, speak out against illegal immigration whenever there's the opportunity. If you do so, never conflate legal with illegal immigration and use facts to counter those who love to use the race card to derail a reasonable discussion.

Fourthly, get involved in other anti-illegal events if possible.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,112,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALove24 View Post

What is your advice?
Two quick notes here:

#1: your family has earned my respect by doing things the right way.

#1: interesting about the 'Hispanic' part: under US law, people from Belize are not considered Latino since it was a British colony till 1981.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 AM

291 posts, read 413,743 times
My advice, is to protect yourself and family. mace, stunguns, dogs, ect. keep a water hose in the frontyard with a high pressure nozzle good for breaking up fights.install security cams ect.
We have a very similar situation to yours here in my neighborhood.calling the cops is of little use.
As the economy continues to fail areas of mass illegal alien sanctions will get crazy, due in parts to the lack of entitlements and low paying jobs.my other advice is call email every politican to let it be know how you feel and how the mass invasion is wrecking your lifes!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM

291 posts, read 413,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
As a fellow Hispanic looking person here, I can tell you that my resentment and anger is certainly growing. You're not alone here.
I hear the same thing you are saying from many of family and friends, so sad !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration