Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we pull our troops out of afghanistan and put them on our own border?
yes 14 60.87%
no 8 34.78%
not sure/undecided 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times

Advertisements

Which of the following countries is the biggest threat to U.S. interests? Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, North Korea or Mexico?

Iran: not likely to win a nuclear war.

North Korea: not likely to win a nuclear war.

Iraq: Civil war possible; a lasting & functioning democracy highly unlikely.

Afghanistan: Civil war likely to continue; a lasting & functioning democracy impossible.

MEXICO: Exporting drugs, felons and illegals daily. Kidnapping of Americans in border towns. Forming a new Mexico in California and elsewhere. Drain on United States economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Legalizing drugs, and just like eliminating prohibition, you take the criminal element out of the picture.
The drug deal, is a mirror of prohibition, with different players.
That's one stone in the river, and no troops used no tax payer money used, and now you have a large tax base, 2 birds with that one stone.

Now, you make using illegal labor, mandatory jail time 5-10 years, and the government seizes all your assets. Make it so no one wants to risk it, no one will put an illegal to work. They will make darn sure that guy that just applied for a job, or is a subcontractor, is an AMERICAN.
The second stone is cast, into the river, and no military troops are needed at taxpayers cost. Oh wait, we just saved the AMERICAN taxpayers 384 billion a year, 2 more birds with one stone.

Now, to put Americans really back to work, we bring back high import taxes, to make imports cost more than what can be produced here on American soil. All the sudden, our, second industrial boom, will happen almost overnight.

Then you have non-American companies doing business on AMERICAN soil... Tax the craap out of them. You want a piece of the AMERCAN pie, you pay for it.

The outsource jobs, will be taxed heavily, so it is less cost to hire an American to do it.

AMERICA needs to start being a lot more selfish, and not a I have my nose in everybodies business, welfare state.
Make it so that you cannot own property on AMERICAN soil, if you are not American

Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
AMERICA needs to start being a lot more selfish, and not a I have my nose in everybodies business, welfare state.
Make it so that you cannot own property on AMERICAN soil, if you are not American
I don't know a lot about economics, but conventional wisdom has always been that Mexico's poverty is directly related to, (among other things) the fact that until recently, foreigners had a very difficult time owning property in Mexico...and America's prosperity, likewise, was partially due to our wide-open policy toward foreign investment....so you MIGHT want to reconsider your final point.

Something is OBVIOUSLY going to have to "happen" re: our southern border and the completely 'over-the-top' condition of illegal immigration....whose numbers include, in addition to others, approximately TEN PERCENT of the total population of Mexico, no longer residing in Mexico, but here. That's not a 'small problem', that's approaching a WORLD CLASS problem....and like I said, SOMETHING will be done about it, eventually. There's no other option.

Unfortunately, I do a lot of reading on 'historical trends' and future projections of societies...and I doubt we'll ever get the American public 'on board' the idea of a fortified, armed, southern border. It would take an all-out war to make that situation acceptable to the public, and to overcome the howls of protest from the Mexican Government, plus numerous folks here in the US. The idea of soldiers, jeeps, and tanks patrolling our internal border zone would be a nightmare for public relations, and more than most Americans, at this point, would be able to 'stomach'.

I hate to say it, but it's my opinion that LONG before we see a 'fortified border', we'll simply find ourselves living under ever-tightening laws and regulations, (SOME of which we'll willingly agree to live under) that are designed to reduce the 'strife' in American society...(partiularly ethnic and 'class' strife), and at some future point, we'll find that we no longer have a choice in the matter, that the border will simply become a 'moot point', and that 'labor' will just be a loose concept, unrelated to citizenship or nationality..and "that will be that"..period.

I hope I'm wrong...but I can't see us ever instituting an "armed border" with a theoretically 'friendly' neighbor. What I do see is us 'tailoring' our own society so as to 'get along' with that neighbor..even if it means cutting WAY back on our own personal liberties. After all, as many have asked on this forum, "How does one define 'American society, anyway"? If we can't answer that question, it's pretty unlikely we'll do anything drastic to 'preserve' it...in my opinion.

Last edited by macmeal; 08-23-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
No but we should pull them out of Europe, Egypt, and Asia and put those troops on the border. Add to this force fresh recruits out of bootcamp for some hands on experience working with vets. Much better than sending fresh recruits to war out of AIT

Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,796 times
No troops do not need to be on the border.....what we need to do is enforce our laws.
We need our troops to do their jobs in the border is not their job.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Not sure about Afghanistan but we should be pulling everything out of Iraq immediately, Sadaam is dead and what they do nis their business. I live within sight of the border and see nothing wrong with the US Army protecting the US

Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
No but we need to put troops on the mexican border to keep the criminal elemnt in that corrupt country form spilling over into this country.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
No troops do not need to be on the border.....what we need to do is enforce our laws.
We need our troops to do their jobs in the border is not their job.
Uhmmm their job is national defence. On 911 we lost a lot of good people. However compared to how many good people we have lost to illegals one might see that perhaps we need to do a better job controlling who enters this country.
Protecting US citizens from all enemies foreign and domestic is the job of our Military. The criminals killing American citizens that entered via the southern border are in fact an enemy as are the drug smugglers, the kidnappers, the rapists and of course those hard working illegals who simply steal our ID's low ball wages and cause mental anguish to our citizens.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i would use them to arrest bin laden the man who blew up NYC.
then put them on our borders. btw i am sure we already know and have known where bin laden is

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-25-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i would use them to arrest bin laden the man who blew up NYC.
then put them on our borders. btw i am sure we already know and have known where bin laden is
Slick Willy sure did. Too bad he didn't do anything about. Maybe just maybe a few dead americans might still be alive if he had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration