Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:08 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,055 times

Advertisements

70% of Voters Say Gaining Control of Borders is More Important Than Legalizing Undocumented Workers - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢ (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/most_recent_videos2/politics/70_of_voters_say_gaining_control_of_borders_is_mor e_important_than_legalizing_undocumented_workers - broken link)

It's nice to know that some people have common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
well i have said all along, no amnesty should happen before the border is secured, and the existing illegal residers are thouroughly vetted.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
well i have said all along, no amnesty should happen before the border is secured, and the existing illegal residers are thouroughly vetted.
There should be no amnesty, period. How do you suggest we vet 20+ million illegal aliens; many whom have several aliases, fraudulent birth certificates and other documents? If we can’t even monitor tourist visas, how do you think we will conduct accurate background checks on millions of illegals?

We simply need to stringently enforce our existing laws. Anyone caught knowingly employing illegals should receive a mandatory 10-year prison sentence and forfeit all assets. All illegals caught in this country should be immediately deported and prevented from EVER returning. If we take off the gloves and stop the wrist slapping, we would see a substantial decline in illegal immigration.

Why should we reward illegal aliens with legalization? They have done nothing to deserve it.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM

well i dont think we have that many illegals here.

but, we can start in the jails. start expunging those criminals. and as people start signing up for amnesty, they would have to fall under certain qualifications. years worked, no prior convictions, etc etc.

it could very well happen.

that makes more economic sense than to jettison millions of people, creating vaccums and voids in whole communities. if we think there are too many foreclosure signs now, imagine when we get rid of 10 million folks? deserted streets. business closing. i am not in favor of creating ghost towns in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There should be no amnesty, period. How do you suggest we vet 20+ million illegal aliens; many whom have several aliases, fraudulent birth certificates and other documents? If we can’t even monitor tourist visas, how do you think we will conduct accurate background checks on millions of illegals?

We simply need to stringently enforce our existing laws. Anyone caught knowingly employing illegals should receive a mandatory 10-year prison sentence and forfeit all assets. All illegals caught in this country should be immediately deported and prevented from EVER returning. If we take off the gloves and stop the wrist slapping, we would see a substantial decline in illegal immigration.

Why should we reward illegal aliens with legalization? They have done nothing to deserve it.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
well i dont think we have that many illegals here.

but, we can start in the jails. start expunging those criminals. and as people start signing up for amnesty, they would have to fall under certain qualifications. years worked, no prior convictions, etc etc.

it could very well happen.

that makes more economic sense than to jettison millions of people, creating vaccums and voids in whole communities. if we think there are too many foreclosure signs now, imagine when we get rid of 10 million folks? deserted streets. business closing. i am not in favor of creating ghost towns in the US.
It would never work. There’s simply too much fraud to ever trust the results. Moreover, I doubt that we would have ghost towns. However, if a town can’t exist without illegals, they don’t deserve to exist. We have more than enough citizens to fill jobs, but if we have shortages, we can also require welfare recipients and prisoners to work. We would also save billions by not having to support millions of illegals.

I’m sorry, another amnesty would be the greatest disaster in U.S. history

Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
why legalize something that should have never happened.
DC is not doing its job--- time for state militias to step in.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:36 PM

the fraud part i can see as a hinderance.

but i do beleive that places like LA or texas towns would suffer. and the general sentiment i have heard is "thats what they get!" but why should the people suffer for what the gov't did wrong or failed to do/?

i just think there needs to be some less than extreme option. no outright deprotation OR amnesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It would never work. There’s simply too much fraud to ever trust the results. Moreover, I doubt that we would have ghost towns. However, if a town can’t exist without illegals, they don’t deserve to exist. We have more than enough citizens to fill jobs, but if we have shortages, we can also require welfare recipients and prisoners to work. We would also save billions by not having to support millions of illegals.

I’m sorry, another amnesty would be the greatest disaster in U.S. history

Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
So 70% of the voters want "Border Control" before amnesty....Imagine that!....Suspicious devils, aren't they? Perhaps these 'doubting Thomases' are mindful of the fact that while the "government" (that bastion of truth-tellers in the marble halls of 'The District') has a LONG and REPEATED track record of 'legalizing illegals', it has a rather dismal record of 'controlling borders'....(at any rate, OUR borders).

We KNOW we can legalize illegals...we've done it several times before. Let's see NOW, if we can 'control borders' the way we SAY we can. If it works, and survives a year or two, THEN maybe all the grumpy, doubting, paranoid 70% "No" voters will be in a better mood to deal with yet ANOTHER amnesty. Until then I doubt we'll be able to convince them. "Fool me once...etc etc."...well, you don't need ME to explain THAT old 'ditty'.....right?..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
So 70% of the voters want "Border Control" before amnesty....Imagine that!....Suspicious devils, aren't they? Perhaps these 'doubting Thomases' are mindful of the fact that while the "government" (that bastion of truth-tellers in the marble halls of 'The District') has a LONG and REPEATED track record of 'legalizing illegals', it has a rather dismal record of 'controlling borders'....(at any rate, OUR borders).

We KNOW we can legalize illegals...we've done it several times before. Let's see NOW, if we can 'control borders' the way we SAY we can. If it works, and survives a year or two, THEN maybe all the grumpy, doubting, paranoid 70% "No" voters will be in a better mood to deal with yet ANOTHER amnesty. Until then I doubt we'll be able to convince them. "Fool me once...etc etc."...well, you don't need ME to explain THAT old 'ditty'.....right?..
Absolutely! Actually, they insult our intelligence to even think that we would be stupid enough to again fall for this ruse.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
the fraud part i can see as a hinderance.

but i do beleive that places like LA or texas towns would suffer. and the general sentiment i have heard is "thats what they get!" but why should the people suffer for what the gov't did wrong or failed to do/?

i just think there needs to be some less than extreme option. no outright deprotation OR amnesty.
It is about time to find out how badly we 'need' illegal aliens to survive as a nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration