Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 AM

323 posts, read 741,912 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Mexican President Felipe Calderon Sunday demanded the United States surrender its sovereignty, abandon the rule of law and accede to Mexico's inherent supremacy.
Lou Dobbs says Mexican President Felipe Calderon is showing "blatant hypocrisy" on immigration.

In his state of the union address to the Mexican nation, Calderon established his imperialistic imperatives: "I have said that Mexico does not stop at its border, that wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico. And, for this reason, the government action on behalf of our countrymen is guided by principles, for the defense and protection of their rights."

Calderon protested the U.S. government's increased raids on illegal employers of illegal alien employees and work site enforcement. In what is little more than a faint nod to the Bush administration's responsibility to enforce U.S. immigration law, the Department of Homeland Security had planned to send out notices to employers from the Social Security Administration informing them of non-matching records between an employee's name and Social Security number. These employers would then be forced to resolve any discrepancy within 90 days or be required to dismiss the employee or face up to $10,000 in fines for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants..................

Dobbs: Mexican president's blatant hypocrisy - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 AM

1,511 posts, read 977,866 times
screw the mexican government and its officials. they do not represent most mexicans in the same way that george bush represents so few of us.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,122 times
Lou called them idiots. He certainly is in our corner. He was also in Arkansas last evening reporting on big business (like Tyson and Alltel) and churches (calling themselves Friendship Colition) that are trying to stop the state from enforcing immigration. The people of the state don't want to be saddled with the cost of illegals and are having to fight with these idiots over it.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
I'd be interested in hearing Travelling Fella's take on this. He has said that the Mexican government's stance on illegal immigration is definitely against the practice. Travelling Fella, do you have a rebuttal to this? I'm asking honestly.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Lou called them idiots. He certainly is in our corner. He was also in Arkansas last evening reporting on big business (like Tyson and Alltel) and churches (calling themselves Friendship Colition) that are trying to stop the state from enforcing immigration. The people of the state don't want to be saddled with the cost of illegals and are having to fight with these idiots over it.
Two more companies to boycott. I hate hearing that about Alltel, I love their commercials.!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Just one more example of how the Mexican Government blatantly SUPPORTS and ENCOURAGES the ILLEGALS with absolutely no respect for The Laws of The United States as well as no concern for the safety of their own citizens.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:23 PM

323 posts, read 741,912 times
Maybe we should post a list of companies. I am all for a Boycott.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Just one more example of how the Mexican Government blatantly SUPPORTS and ENCOURAGES the ILLEGALS with absolutely no respect for The Laws of The United States as well as no concern for the safety of their own citizens.
But isn't this pretty much what the United States Government does? Reading over your post, it looks almost word-for-word the way I'd describe what OUR Legislators are doing....supporting and encouraging illegals---showing disrespect for US Law or citizens---and no concern for their safety, either. PLUS a hypocritical President. PLUS imprisoning Border Patrol agents on the testimony of foreign drug-smugglers (who've been granted immunity)...Am I missing something?..

In fact, Calderon's speech sounded a lot like Bush's thoughts--(except it was probably said with better grammar). I don't see any real points of disagreement betwen the two leaders.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:02 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Calderon is basically the George Bush of Mexico. He won the election by a small margin and many in the country think he stole the election. I don't know how his opposition, Obrador, looks upon the emigration of his country.

The problem with Mexico is that the government is often so corrupt that it's not even funny. For instance, the maquilas on the border and in some of the cities (American owned factories) are allowed to get away with murder- literally like in Juarez where many young women who work in the factory have been raped and killed- when they should be there helping to build Mexican infrastructure. Instead, people are payed low wages so that Americans can get cheap products.

It's also interesting that many of the immigrants from Latin America seem to be heavier on the indigenous side of the geneology spectrum... They face quite a bit of discrimination in their home countries, maybe their governments are just cooling their heels while an unwanted sector of the population leaves? Not true for all Hispanic immigrants of course, but there is a reason Americans all have an image of all Latinos as dark skinned, dark haired, and short.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:41 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'd be interested in hearing Travelling Fella's take on this. He has said that the Mexican government's stance on illegal immigration is definitely against the practice. Travelling Fella, do you have a rebuttal to this? I'm asking honestly.
My friend this speech was given on september 5, let me try to look for it at the news in google and do a translation I'm afraid CNN is a bit biased sometimes for my taste, I promise you a honest word for word translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Calderon is basically the George Bush of Mexico. He won the election by a small margin and many in the country think he stole the election. I don't know how his opposition, Obrador, looks upon the emigration of his country.

The problem with Mexico is that the government is often so corrupt that it's not even funny. For instance, the maquilas on the border and in some of the cities (American owned factories) are allowed to get away with murder- literally like in Juarez where many young women who work in the factory have been raped and killed- when they should be there helping to build Mexican infrastructure. Instead, people are payed low wages so that Americans can get cheap products.

It's also interesting that many of the immigrants from Latin America seem to be heavier on the indigenous side of the geneology spectrum... They face quite a bit of discrimination in their home countries, maybe their governments are just cooling their heels while an unwanted sector of the population leaves? Not true for all Hispanic immigrants of course, but there is a reason Americans all have an image of all Latinos as dark skinned, dark haired, and short.
Man, Calderon won, and the victory was hard indeed, I was going to vote for Obrador, but I was in one of my maratonic brazilian trip at the time LOL, but now after sometime has passed, imho Calderon has proven to be a much better leader, you know, people in Mexico don't trust the government until they do things to earn that trust, and so far that's what Calderon is doing, he was able to break the inercy and create unity, he wouldn't have been able to do that without spirit's help.

I doubt that they did fraud, however Fox's and his ignorance created a very divided scenario, because he, his wife and his friends attacked Obrador and tried to oust him from the presidential race, this created divisions countrywide and made Obrador more popular, it also gave arguments to the PRD to believe that something rotten happened indeed.

I'm so glad Fox is out Los pinos (Mexican White house) now, thanks us the people who voted for him democracy started, but it was too bad that there wasn't a better candidate in that time, 6 years were lost, some things were done though, but Fox spent almost all his energy getting into fights with the PRI and PRD (the rival parties) instead of trying to do something for the country.

And about people who goes to America, honestly it beats me because where I leave people seldom emigrates, people immigrate here actually, that's why Mexico city is among the biggest cities in the world along with Tokio.

About the Maquilas, actually they've helped a lot, they pay higher than average wages and they pay taxes which build instrastructure, border cities have a bad name but they aren't that bad yanno? they are dangerous but they aren't that bad at all, the reason they are so dangerous is because they are packed with would be immigrants from Mexico, Central and South America combined, a lot of people knows this and tries to get advantage of the situation sadly

Some pictures of the Famous border towns

Source: Skycraperlife Forum Mexico section, Cities and architecture section Ciudad Juarez el Ave Fenix de una ciudad que está Resurgiendo - SkyScraperLife

Tijuana, Baja California

Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua the Maquiladoras capital

Look, our border brothers, with the 2 flags standing together

Is Mexico a world class country or what?

America is a world class country as well

Peace, Love, Light and Harmony!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-28-2007 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration