Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,321 times

Advertisements

This is the most ridiculous and hilarious thing I have ever heard. So desperate are Joe's attempts that he tells our federal government he will still do immigration sweeps with existent laws. These existent laws only exist somewhere in outer space, floading in air via cyber...LOL. That is right, Arpaio cited an immigration law he found on an anti-immigration website. Watch him do immigration sweeps and get fired...LOL.

Apparently Title 8 does exist but with Arpaio's own interpretation. We will see what happens in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio cited a non-existent federal law and included a legal interpretation taken from an anti-immigration Web site in a document he distributed during a news conference last week.
LOL... I cant wait...LOL.

Quote:
It also states that "evasive, nervous, or erratic behavior; dress or speech indicating foreign citizenship; and presence in an area known to contain a concentration of illegal aliens" can be used to constitute reasonable suspicions someone is in the country illegally.
Somebody needs to see a mental health institution. Paranoia would perfectly fit as a diagnosis. None of the above behaviors are actually fact that a person is in the country illegally.

Arpaio cites non-existent law in his argument for crime sweeps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
This is the most ridiculous and hilarious thing I have ever heard. So desperate are Joe's attempts that he tells our federal government he will still do immigration sweeps with existent laws. These existent laws only exist somewhere in outer space, floading in air via cyber...LOL. That is right, Arpaio cited an immigration law he found on an anti-immigration website. Watch him do immigration sweeps and get fired...LOL.

Apparently Title 8 does exist but with Arpaio's own interpretation. We will see what happens in the next couple of days.

Somebody needs to see a mental health institution. Paranoia would perfectly fit as a diagnosis. None of the above behaviors are actually fact that a person is in the country illegally.

You cannot be that ignorant, can you?

Joe is an elected official, he cannot be "fired". You don't get that do you?

Besides federal law. Arizona has stricter state laws. You don't get that, do you?

Quote:
The Arpaio document cites a provision of Title 8 of the federal code followed by language that says "state and local law-enforcement officials have the general power to investigate and arrest violators of federal immigration statutes without prior INS knowledge or approval, as long as they are authorized to do so by state law."
It also states that "evasive, nervous, or erratic behavior; dress or speech indicating foreign citizenship; and presence in an area known to contain a concentration of illegal aliens" can be used to constitute reasonable suspicions someone is in the country illegally.

ICE officials declined to comment.

Last edited by BentBow; 10-16-2009 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:

Sorry to burst your bubble but that law is part of the 1986 amnesty bill.
Law enforcement cannot stop anyone without reasonable belief that they have committed a minor (traffic violation for example) or major offense of our laws but if after stopping them and talking with them any of the characteristics come into play as described in that law, they can be questioned about their legal status in this country. If they cannot produce valid I.D. then law enforcement can take them to jail and call ICE.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 AM

50,330 posts, read 47,088,247 times
With every Illegal he kicks to the curb his popularity increases. GO JOE!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
Well, you failed to note which non-existent law he was purported to have sited so how are we to know if this accusation is valid? In fact you admitted that Title 8 exists which would tend to cancel out your own argument without any further information except your opinion that he's mis-interpreted the law. Your argument is pretty weak to say the least and it sounds a bit like regurgitated hearsay to me.

Your claim that anyone observing evasive, nervous, or erratic behavior; dress or speech indicating foreign citizenship; and presence in an area known to contain a concentration of illegal aliens and suspects they might be illegals suffers from paranoia and is otherwise delusional is quite simply wrong.

Sorry, your argument defeats itself.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:

Arpaio's actions may be the showdown that is coming pertaining to how illegals are handled here in the USA.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Your comment doesn't even come close to touching Zacatecanas topic...

Would you care to go into more detail? It seems to me the reply gets right to the heart of the matter. Essentially one guy rips on a cop who enforces the law and another guy tells the first to get used to it. I'm not seeing how that's a miss.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
I think a more relevent question would be:
Do illegals know immigration laws? That answer would be yes - they just don't care...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Your comment doesn't even come close to touching Zacatecanas topic...
My comment is very germane to what zac posted: Sheriff Joe IMHO is 'drawing the line in the sand'----------either the USA will back him up or we will be truly innudated (sp) by scads of criminals from SoB and elsewhere.

In other words: the 'tipping point' is fast approaching and what truly concerns me is INNOCENT Americans (of any ancestral race/ethnicity) who look 'Mestizo' being caught in the crossfire between the extremists on both sides i.e. KKK/Neo-Nazi's and MEChA, Mexica, Brown Panthers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration