Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

MIAMI (CNN) -- When "Marta" was 12, she entered the United States illegally, hoping to join her mother, who had left her in Central America years ago to search for work. Three years later she was sitting in immigration detention by herself waiting to be deported back home to her grandmother, who was dying of cancer.

Detained immigrant children face legal maze in U.S. - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
So another cast off by the (insert 3rd World Country here) people to be the burden of the US? Am I reading that right? She has no one to care for her so rather than adoption in (insert 3rd World Country here) they toss her across the border? Just making sure I'm reading this correctly.

We can blame the mother who abandoned her child on this one. Great, another mouth to feed I DIDN'T HAVE. This is becoming a trend.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,707 times
If rhe mother cared about her, she'd go home with her, instead of letting her be deported to a dying grandmother. This whole situation is the mother's fault, so trying to blame US immigration laws doesn't work.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
If the kid is already in foster care in the US then her mother has already abandoned her, most likely. And if she is in foster care with a mother who abandoned her and a dying grandmother, her odds of being deported are not all that great. I feel bad for her, but it was her family who put her in this position, not the United States. Also, time spent illegally in the US does not count against you until you are 18.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Unbelievable that a mother could abandon her child for years and move to a foreign country. Yet these illegals cry about the U.S. supposedly separating their families.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
This story was featured on the CNN special, "Latino in America." While I certainly feel compassion for her, as I would any child in a similar predicament, it is her mother’s fault for abandoning her.

Of course after her mother abandoned her 3 children in Mexico for greener pastures in the U.S., she gave birth to another child on U.S. soil. Not only are we supporting Marta and thousands of other children who enter this country alone, we are supporting her sibling her mother exploits for tax-funded freebies. I do not believe her ailing grandmother is the only family she has in Mexico. Who is caring for her siblings who are still there?

It is obvious that CNN featured this sob story to tug at our heartstrings, and to garner support for amnesty. It won’t work. I dare say, if U.S. children entered Mexico illegally, the Mexican government would not provide food and shelter for them. They would be left to fend for themselves by panhandling, stealing, or prostitution. Our government needs to contact the Mexican government and insist that they retrieve their children. They should be Mexico’s problem, not ours.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Unbelievable that a mother could abandon her child for years and move to a foreign country. Yet these illegals cry about the U.S. supposedly separating their families.
You notice that as well I see...............

Old 10-23-2009, 10:46 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This story was featured on the CNN special, "Latino in America." While I certainly feel compassion for her, as I would any child in a similar predicament, it is her mother’s fault for abandoning her.

Of course after her mother abandoned her 3 children in Mexico for greener pastures in the U.S., she gave birth to another child on U.S. soil. Not only are we supporting Marta and thousands of other children who enter this country alone, we are supporting her sibling her mother exploits for tax-funded freebies. I do not believe her ailing grandmother is the only family she has in Mexico. Who is caring for her siblings who are still there?

It is obvious that CNN featured this sob story to tug at our heartstrings, and to garner support for amnesty. It won’t work. I dare say, if U.S. children entered Mexico illegally, the Mexican government would not provide food and shelter for them. They would be left to fend for themselves by panhandling, stealing, or prostitution. Our government needs to contact the Mexican government and insist that they retrieve their children. They should be Mexico’s problem, not ours.
I thought humans cared for their young? This case sounds like a Salmon swimming upstream and cast spreading it's eggs to end up wherever the current carries them. I hope this isn't a widespread behavior as it is sad.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 AM

163 posts, read 240,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
MIAMI (CNN) -- When "Marta" was 12, she entered the United States illegally, hoping to join her mother, who had left her in Central America years ago to search for work.
So it's okay to for the illegals to "break up families" when they choose to come here illegally but not okay to do it when we try to enforce our laws? Simply amazing.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
So it's okay to for the illegals to "break up families" when they choose to come here illegally but not okay to do it when we try to enforce our laws? Simply amazing.
That’s more of their hypocrisy. They whine about our government separating families when they are deported, but they have no problem severing ties with their children as though they are pets, and starting a new family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration