Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Effective how?????? This is the problem with Mexican activists. They'll cry and whine about the people fleeing their country to break the laws of another but they will not actually do anything to improve conditions for them back home.

And where are all the crosses for the over 2000 murdered just this year so far in Juarez? or the 1800 murdered the year before there or the hundreds of murdered and mutiliated women of that town? Why do Mexican activists simply make some symbolic gesture especially when it comes to breaking USA laws but fail to do anything of any importance for their country?
Excellent point! Of course, they have no interest in commemorating the lives of those victims, because it doesn’t support their agenda. This gesture is intended to garner sympathy for the poor illegals seeking a better life in the US. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Effective how?????? This is the problem with Mexican activists. They'll cry and whine about the people fleeing their country to break the laws of another but they will not actually do anything to improve conditions for them back home.

And where are all the crosses for the over 2000 murdered just this year so far in Juarez? or the 1800 murdered the year before there or the hundreds of murdered and mutiliated women of that town? Why do Mexican activists simply make some symbolic gesture especially when it comes to breaking USA laws but fail to do anything of any importance for their country?
Could it be because not only is it expected but also accepted?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Excellent point! Of course, they have no interest in commemorating the lives of those victims, because it doesn’t support their agenda. This gesture is intended to garner sympathy for the poor illegals seeking a better life in the US. Nothing more, nothing less.
Mexican activists have been fighting against violence toward women for years. A search might help. It has been a long struggle against corruption. If it wasnt for those activists, you would not even know about it today. I hope one day, we stop this problem but just like illegal immigration, it is going no where.

I dont know too much about the Coalition for the Defense of Migrants so I dont know exactly what their protest was about. I dont think they were advocating open borders. However, I have seen myself this same type of exhibit in other parts of the country and it is not placing blame on US citizens. It is actually a way of discouraging people from crossing the dangerous border but of course, nothing Mexico does is ever good enough for you guys.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Mexican activists have been fighting against violence toward women for years. A search might help. It has been a long struggle against corruption. If it wasnt for those activists, you would not even know about it today. I hope one day, we stop this problem but just like illegal immigration, it is going no where.

I dont know too much about the Coalition for the Defense of Migrants so I dont know exactly what their protest was about. I dont think they were advocating open borders. However, I have seen myself this same type of exhibit in other parts of the country and it is not placing blame on US citizens. It is actually a way of discouraging people from crossing the dangerous border but of course, nothing Mexico does is ever good enough for you guys.
Exactly what have they done for the women and girls being murdered? They did put up some pink crosses but what else? Did they reform the system? Did they bring corrupt police and government officials to trial?

They have not accomplished anything because the murders and rapes continue on, and many are left unsolved. They need to do something a lot more effective, bring about reforms so that millions don't have to die leaving their own homeland. Some might have done something but they need to take a good look at the results and change what they're doing.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Exactly what have they done for the women and girls being murdered? They did put up some pink crosses but what else? Did they reform the system? Did they bring corrupt police and government officials to trial?

They have not accomplished anything because the murders and rapes continue on, and many are left unsolved. They need to do something a lot more effective, bring about reforms so that millions don't have to die leaving their own homeland. Some might have done something but they need to take a good look at the results and change what they're doing.
That is exactly my point Malamute. Advocates have worked on bringing awareness but politically there has not been much sucess. It's the same situation will illegal immigration on our side of the border ( US).

Old 11-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
That is exactly my point Malamute. Advocates have worked on bringing awareness but politically there has not been much sucess. It's the same situation will illegal immigration on our side of the border ( US).
What the Mexican activists need to do is find a way that their people can improve their lives in Mexico. Some of that requires facing the truth - and that is that Mexico is not that horrendous of a country, it has democracy, it has a decent enough constitution, it has a growing middle class and substantial natural resources and wealth.

Yes there is still a class system but not nearly what it was. The Mexican activists need to take a good look at the problem - and much of the problem is not that Mexico lacks public schools -- it has them but too many parents see no need for eduation. Too many of Mexico's poor are poor because they lack responsibility. They need to stay in school, delay the start of families, and limit family size to what they can afford. Mexico's growing middle class does that.

Travel across the border and you can pretty quickly see that people living in shanty towns are having large numbers of children they cannot feed or care for -- you see children alone begging for a living, and women sitting on the sidewalk with 3-4 toddlers and another on the way.

The situation with parents leaving behind children to go off and work in the USA is not benefitting either country in the long run. Children need parents home raising them, there is more to parenting than sending a remittance wire home monthly. Having the children smuggled to the USA also isn't a feasible solution because the whole purpose of illegals for their employers is the ultra-cheap wages they'll accept, the cost of living in the USA for these large families is far too high and requires far too much government assistance.

There's a limit to how much low cost uneducated and desperate labor is needed in the USA, and the problem with such high levels of illegal immigration is that since it doesn't improve the conditions back home, each year higher and higher numbers "need" to leave and make it into the USA.

Putting crosses out there isn't solving anything.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
What the Mexican activists need to do is find a way that their people can improve their lives in Mexico. Some of that requires facing the truth - and that is that Mexico is not that horrendous of a country, it has democracy, it has a decent enough constitution, it has a growing middle class and substantial natural resources and wealth.

Yes there is still a class system but not nearly what it was. The Mexican activists need to take a good look at the problem - and much of the problem is not that Mexico lacks public schools -- it has them but too many parents see no need for eduation. Too many of Mexico's poor are poor because they lack responsibility. They need to stay in school, delay the start of families, and limit family size to what they can afford. Mexico's growing middle class does that.

Travel across the border and you can pretty quickly see that people living in shanty towns are having large numbers of children they cannot feed or care for -- you see children alone begging for a living, and women sitting on the sidewalk with 3-4 toddlers and another on the way.

The situation with parents leaving behind children to go off and work in the USA is not benefitting either country in the long run. Children need parents home raising them, there is more to parenting than sending a remittance wire home monthly. Having the children smuggled to the USA also isn't a feasible solution because the whole purpose of illegals for their employers is the ultra-cheap wages they'll accept, the cost of living in the USA for these large families is far too high and requires far too much government assistance.

There's a limit to how much low cost uneducated and desperate labor is needed in the USA, and the problem with such high levels of illegal immigration is that since it doesn't improve the conditions back home, each year higher and higher numbers "need" to leave and make it into the USA.

Putting crosses out there isn't solving anything.
I couldnt agree with you more on the bold. I have seen the improvement myself in the last decade or two. Mexico does have government assistance programs. As a matter of fact, two of my uncles and their families bought low income housing from the government. My grandmother has medical insurance that was passed on by my grandfather's retirement. I also agree on the number of children and the education. Though it is part of the culture. My aunt's family in the federal district, had five children. Three of them have a PHD and the other two went to a trade school that allowed them to have good jobs. Mexico is far from the hell hole people seem to think it is. In the next decade, we can expect some real change, I believe. Though it will need to include the poorest states in order to make progress. I am so looking forward to stopping the migration to the US from Mexico. Regarding the crosses, that is what the non-profit organizations do. The government is a complete different thing. They are now starting to give a few pesos and cattle to returning immigrants, just to get them started.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I couldnt agree with you more on the bold. I have seen the improvement myself in the last decade or two. Mexico does have government assistance programs. As a matter of fact, two of my uncles and their families bought low income housing from the government. My grandmother has medical insurance that was passed on by my grandfather's retirement. I also agree on the number of children and the education. Though it is part of the culture. My aunt's family in the federal district, had five children. Three of them have a PHD and the other two went to a trade school that allowed them to have good jobs. Mexico is far from the hell hole people seem to think it is. In the next decade, we can expect some real change, I believe. Though it will need to include the poorest states in order to make progress. I am so looking forward to stopping the migration to the US from Mexico. Regarding the crosses, that is what the non-profit organizations do. The government is a complete different thing. They are now starting to give a few pesos and cattle to returning immigrants, just to get them started.
I don't really care how many children people have -- AS LONG AS THEY CAN FEED AND CLOTHE THEM - and without having to break many laws-- and far too often that's not the case at all with many Mexicans. They start having children at a very young age and have no means to support them -- and very large numbers of those crossing the border have that mindset. Siring children is machismo, failing to support them doesn't affect the machismo pride obtained from keeping some woman or several women knocked up. That culture needs to change and crossing the border in order to have USA taxpayers provide for those children doesn't change it at all.

All those cross-putter-uppers could instead be in the poor colonias teaching responsibility, they could be building schools, volunteering for day care programs, and plenty of other positive actions. Placing crosses all over but doing nothing more is nothing but empty meaningless jestures that make the "do-gooders" feel very good about themselves is all.

It's truly a shame that all prosperity is expected to come to a screeching halt when the southern border is reached -- the air, the land, the resources have not changed. Why should a thin almost imaginary line make such a difference?

The problem does often lie with the people -- you can see people with dozens of kids blaming everything on someone else, mothers who say they cannot feed their children - with another one on the way - trying to cross the border illegally. Sometimes improving your life also means making personal changes in it, having responsibility, keeping children in school, working to extend public school into secundarias.

As far as people having a lot of kids -- that in itself isn't the problem. A couple with college educations can certainly support 5 or 6 children.

An illegal I know of personally - his parents had 12 children. His father worked as an "albanil" but died young without leaving any insurance plan for his kids. The mother didn't work. The oldest son came to the USA illegally at age 21 to work as an "albanil" here, installing drywall to send money for his family -- mother and siblings to live on back in Mexico City (one of the many poor neighborhoods outside the city). He's 24 now.

He's wanted to go home, Houston wasn't too much to his liking but meanwhile his younger brother brought home a girl whom he impregnated, and his sister just had a baby with no father, so his mother wanted him to stay and continue sending money home. The oldest of 12 not only was expected to support all the rest indefinitely but any they felt like adding -- which so far is 2 more. "El burro se cansa" as they say.....

Well - the work in Houston has dried up and this lonesome guy decided enough is enough, he did try to find other illegal work here but gave up and now has returned home. Likely he'll find a job soon there - and someone else is his family is going to have to show some responsibility and get off their duffs and get jobs, but the smartest thing would be to stop procreating until they have.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 AM

I should add -- this 24 year old illegal was hoping to stay here until the big amnesty and then bring his entire family including the newborns over to the USA. Life would be easier here and if they could only have come here, legally of course after he sponsored them, there would be plenty of programs for them, much better opportunities.

The plans of course have been put aside - but he plans to return in March because nothing has really changed for his family back home. They're still very poor, the babies are being born. No one in the family has much of any education to find good paying jobs in their city.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,537,037 times
One would think that if 5,100 crosses signifying the death of those who entered were displayed, you wouldn't enter!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration