Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A forthcoming study on Hispanic children’s cognitive skills underlines the challenges the country faces in aspiring to close the achievement gap between these children and their white and Asian counterparts. Hispanic “children fall behind their peers in mental development by the time they reach grade school, and the gap tends to widen as they get older,” reports the New York Times. “The drop-off in the cognitive scores of Hispanic toddlers, especially those from Mexican backgrounds, was steeper than for other [low-income] groups and could not be explained by economic status alone. . . . From 24 to 36 months, the Hispanic children fell about six months behind their white peers on measures like word comprehension, more complex speech and working with their mothers on simple tasks.”
Losing Ground by Heather Mac Donald on National Review Online

Is the Third World a matter of geography, or more aptly a genetic disorder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 AM

79 posts, read 98,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post

It is a cultural issue. I once taught in a Technical School who had many international students.The students from Mexico brought cultural attitudes with them that made it difficult to learn.
Example: If I cited reasons why something works better a certain way they would take the opposite view of how it should work. I think their culture teaches them to resent gringos so anything we say is wrong and their way is better.
This attitude WAS NOT in Mexicans who were born and educated in the United States.They were very intelligent and equal to anyone else.
This is my observations and opinion only because I have not done any scientific studies to prove this theory.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderman View Post
It is a cultural issue. I once taught in a Technical School who had many international students.The students from Mexico brought cultural attitudes with them that made it difficult to learn.
Example: If I cited reasons why something works better a certain way they would take the opposite view of how it should work. I think their culture teaches them to resent gringos so anything we say is wrong and their way is better.
Flip side: that same crippling cultural trait usually does not apply to Asians, Blacks who came here freely from Africa or even South American Hispanics (White or Mestizo)---------they typically have that 'can do' attitude.

Quote:
This attitude WAS NOT in Mexicans who were born and educated in the United States.They were very intelligent and equal to anyone else.
This is my observations and opinion only because I have not done any scientific studies to prove this theory.
And in all fairness: those 'Mexicans' born/raised here in the USA are Americans. It would be akin to calling me a Hungarian, father was from there, never mind I speak only English fluently, etc.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post

Frankly; using other minorities as a guide (of any actual race/ethnicity)...........what may be hurting Mexicans may be because we tend to get the bottom feeders here illegally from Mexico who would be failures back home for a multitude of cultural reasons. Their closest analogs would be ghetto Blacks and PW Trash White people---------none of which have a real desire for self improvement i.e. belief in education, sobriety, frugality, Rule of Law, etc.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
And my observation has been living in the southwest is that far too many American born of Mexican ancestry still have those cultural traits and views passed on to them by their parents. They still don't value education, pop babies at a young age and still resent anglo-Americans and their culture.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 AM

79 posts, read 98,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side: that same crippling cultural trait usually does not apply to Asians, Blacks who came here freely from Africa or even South American Hispanics (White or Mestizo)---------they typically have that 'can do' attitude.

And in all fairness: those 'Mexicans' born/raised here in the USA are Americans. It would be akin to calling me a Hungarian, father was from there, never mind I speak only English fluently, etc.
Your point is well taken. In the context of my explanation I would have used Italians born/raised here if we had been talking about Italians.
I hate to use the hyphenated-American terms because it divides us instead of recognizing that we ALL who are born here regardless of nationality are Americans and should be one. That is why I did not use the term Mexican-American.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
It’s a cultural phenomenon, not genetic. Children learn what they live. If underachievement is instilled in a child, they generally do not excel. As long as we have hordes of illegal peasants entering this country whose only aspirations are to procreate like rabbits, and to leech off of taxpayers, this will continue to be the outcome.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And my observation has been living in the southwest is that far too many American born of Mexican ancestry still have those cultural traits and views passed on to them by their parents. They still don't value education, pop babies at a young age and still resent anglo-Americans and their culture.
Very true,and well stated.This attitude still exists in third,fourth,and even longer farther back generations.It is not just a recent illegal alien thing.A few years ago the Orange County Register did a series on the problems of education among children of Latino backgrounds.Very high dropout rates,rampant crime,and soaring birth rates to unmarried young women seem to be the norm in Spanish speaking Mestizo communities.There are,of course,many notable exceptions,with many going on to higher educations and successful lives.Oddly,it is the Latinas rather than the boys that are doing best in getting an eduacation.Rather puzzling,since Mexican culture tends to be male dominated.Until and unless this attitude of downplaying education and accepting criminal behavior changes,this trend of "dumbing down" will continue.Realistically,the flood of recent illegals have brought these old world attitudes with them,and things are not going to change.

Last edited by BlackShoe; 11-01-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
What a racist thread. You all mke me sick .
Didn't you all know that all IQ, SAT and civil service tests are racist and their only function is to help white people look smarter than everyone else? sheeeesh already.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Every day I see the ESL non-learners get culled from the herd to take up the majority of the Teachers hour. NCLB is a farce! The rest of the kids get to suffer while the handful of kids who can't even speak the language garner all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration