Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
A article and video on the same subject.

Mexico Offers Amnesty to Americans Living Abroad
Quote:
From Mexican border towns to beaches, more and more Americans make their homes in Mexico. Some entered the country with tourist visas and simply overstayed.

I would like to know how many U.S. citizens are living in Mexico illegally. When Mexico has 20+ million illegals living in their country, and millions of ingrate foreigners leeching off of taxpayers. . . . . then, and only then, can they talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
The mexican goveranmnt ahs done that in the sotuhern party of mexico. in fact they regualrily veen jail americans then extort their families as we have seen. The corruption in mexico just gets wrose.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! They are hoping the U.S. will follow suit. Did you notice the only “foreigners” they showed are American, and legally living in Mexico? This is so utterly transparent, it’s laughable.
I agree that this is an action to pursuade the US to also grant legalization to our illegal immigrants. However, I have to say, I'm happy on all levels. This is good for illegal immigrants in Mexico.

What I dont agree with is that you noticed "foreigners" who are only American and legal. I have known a few Americans who are illegal and living in Mexico. We have discussed this before, you cannot tell the status of a person by simply looking at them. I also saw South Americans and most likely illegal. If you see them on top of a train, they may be illegal. Then again, I could be wrong.

I was very happy when I heard the news. While some focus only on the issue of "Americans", I think of both sides. Back when the zapatistas of EZLN began their Rebellion in 1994, I was very upset with Mexico when three days after the government showed up with buses to deport indigenous people of South America that were living there illegally. Many of them had been there 5-6, possibly more years and some had married into other Mexican indigenous tribes. I hear that some of them came back and this would be a perfect opportunity to legalize them.

On the other hand, Americans have always complained about having to leave Mexico for a day, once a year to fullfill an immigration requirement. They also complain about not being able to purchase land or a home. Giving them the opportunity to become citizens would definately get rid of those problems. Hooray for Mexico!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The mexican goveranmnt ahs done that in the sotuhern party of mexico. in fact they regualrily veen jail americans then extort their families as we have seen. The corruption in mexico just gets wrose.
I wish I could say I understand what you have written but I trully dont. The only thing I understood is that, "The corruption in Mexico just gets worse."

I have a lot of faith in that the corruption will decrease. I have a feeling it is just a phase. If the economy gets better, which it already is starting to show sign, I can forsee corruption decrease. Also, with the capture of some of the drug lords and the legalization of mj, I think it will be a better Mexico.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

I would like to know how many U.S. citizens are living in Mexico illegally. When Mexico has 20+ million illegals living in their country, and millions of ingrate foreigners leeching off of taxpayers. . . . . then, and only then, can they talk.
They dont have to ask permission to Americans to talk. This is the approach they want to take and they have every right to do so. Just like they have no power over our immigration laws.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Americans are welcome in Mexico if they have money and are not there to work. I would gladly welcome anyone from Mexico in the US who meets the same criteria.
Actually many do go there to work. I dont know where you get your info but I know quite a few Americans who live there, work there and are very happy.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I think it's a great idea. I can't wait until millions of Muslims move to Mexico, and start building mosques in the village square.
Many, many muslims already live in Mexico. Many Mexican nationals have converted to Islam. Catholicism is still the most influencial religion just like Christianity is here in America. Muslims have become part of Mexican society and I dont hear any complains from Mexicans.

Quote:
1. Everyone they talked to says they're there legally. Not an illegal alien in the bunch.
Legal Americans, as I have explained in the above post, also have problems progressing in Mexico due to immigration laws. This would be good for them. There are plenty illegal immigrants from America, living there and it would also be good for them to become legalized. Although, I do have to say, not as big of a number as illegal immigrants in the US.

Quote:
2. The only ones I heard say they actually live there are the one who sells Mexican crafts, and perhaps the one who bills herself as a local artist. She's an older woman though, probably retired, and her art may just be a hobby. The other one was an older man, obviously past the age of retirement. Retirees don't work, they only spend. As for the others they showed, they may all be tourists.

You may be right with your observation. That however, does not negate that Mexico has a problem with illegal immigration that needs to be recognized. As I have said, I know a few Americans, who are not retired and are living and working to make a living in Mexico.

Quote:
3.The ones they showed from Central and South America riding atop the train have no desire to remain in Mexico, and become citizens. Their goal is the US, and Mexico just a pathway here. You'll notice none of them were interviewed.

Mexico has tougher immigration laws than the US. That is one reason why most Central and South Americans will not stay. Many, however, do stay. I think that if Mexico legalizes them, many would stay in Mexico. Many South Americans do work in the fields in the state of Sonora.

Quote:
4.There's a caveate though---That Mexican official, Pedroza, said all foreigners who CONTRIBUTE to Mexican society are welcome. By contribute, I suspect he means bring your own money.
"Contribute" to me, means those that currently fill a job. I dont think the US would have it any other way either. I think that if there were a path to legalization in the US, it would require that the person currently have a job, imo.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:34 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I wish I could say I understand what you have written but I trully dont. The only thing I understood is that, "The corruption in Mexico just gets worse."

I have a lot of faith in that the corruption will decrease. I have a feeling it is just a phase. If the economy gets better, which it already is starting to show sign, I can forsee corruption decrease. Also, with the capture of some of the drug lords and the legalization of mj, I think it will be a better Mexico.
Unless they legalize drugs in America the corruption in Mexico will only get worse.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
If Americans are in Mexico illegally, they fled here to escape a warrant for arrest.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Those from south of Mexico's border however have a similar culture and speak Spanish. Culturally they would not dilute or change the demographics of Mexico and they are in much smaller numbers than the illegals we have here. In our case we have millions of illegals who are not of our mainstream culture and speak a different language than ours. If they were here in smaller numbers we could probably assimilate them but I have seen enough evidence of colonization going on rather than assimilation because of the large numbers from mostly one ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration