Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 AM

277 posts, read 368,666 times

Advertisements

Asking people for "papers" based on race is profiling. Which is a no no in this great country. To think we are going against our principles and values as Americans is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Asking people for "papers" based on race is profiling. Which is a no no in this great country. To think we are going against our principles and values as Americans is sad.
Building inspectors from a given city can stop by any job and request to see a contractors papers.
Let the cops do the same for these day laborers. legal residents carry their green cards.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
This is from the Legal Joe/Illegal Jose thread:

I really must have ticked you off.
You forgot to mention that you yourself said FIRST that you are only a high school graduate.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No it's not a valid fear. People have blamed illegal immigrants for everything from crime to the mortgage crisis. Much of that is bogus. Proof? Of what? What are you talking about? Also sorry if you feel that typing too fast is baloney...that's interesting, sorry but does takiing mean?

Also you analogy is highly flawed. It's an emotional appeal outside the realm of the argument and scope. That's like saying that there is only two possible outcomes, which is not true. I'm not a citizen? Okay I'm done talking to you. Clearly you don't have all your faculties. Good luck in life (you'll need it). Read a book (clearly you lack education).

PS..."devistated" is spelled devestated. Rocks in glass houses...
Proof that bills are not passed to assist American citizens because of the fear that illigal aliens may benefit.

I was referring to your idea that illegal aliens are somehow a decoy to deflect attention from other issues.

PS...'devistated' is spelled devastated...we were both wrong. Guess we have the same education level, eh?

You did not answer the most important question...would you put the health and well-being of your children behind that of an illegal alien?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You forgot to mention that you yourself said FIRST that you are only a high school graduate.
......and?

So what? It's not something to be ashamed of.

The majority of Americans over age 25 have finished high school (80.4%). The majority of Americans over 25 do not have a bachelor's (or higher) degree either (75.6%).

Source: Census 2000

You can hide behind your computer screen and say you're educated all you want, but from the content of your posts there is one major quality that you lack that most educated folks are supposed to have.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
......and?

So what? It's not something to be ashamed of.

The majority of Americans over age 25 have finished high school (80.4%). The majority of Americans over 25 do not have a bachelor's (or higher) degree either (75.6%).

Source: Census 2000

You can hide behind your computer screen and say you're educated all you want, but from the content of your posts there is one major quality that you lack that most educated folks are supposed to have.
I never said being a high school graduate was something to be ashamed of but when someone can't rationalize a situation with any degree of accuracy or common sense then perhaps that high school education wasn't enough.

I never said what my educational background was. I am missing the "quality" of advocating illegal aliens in our country? Good! I have no desire for that so-called "quality".

Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Proof that bills are not passed to assist American citizens because of the fear that illigal aliens may benefit.

I was referring to your idea that illegal aliens are somehow a decoy to deflect attention from other issues.

PS...'devistated' is spelled devastated...we were both wrong. Guess we have the same education level, eh?

You did not answer the most important question...would you put the health and well-being of your children behind that of an illegal alien?
Per the "deflect attention", we can turn to Joe Wilson. His now infamous "You lie" statement was the rallying cry of both 9/12ers and the insurance industry. However, the bill did not include illegal immigrants. The wording specifically excluded them. Still, support was garnered against the bill. Why? Because the fear induced in people meant that would be less receptive to the program and ultimately not change our current system. Private insurance companies finance these "grassroots" protest in order to stave off competition. Illegal immigration was used to falsely galvanize support for keeping the status quo.

The bold, again contains a huge flaw. It implies that there are only two plausible outcomes. That I do put the health and well-being of my children first, or I don't. Plus, this question is rooted in an emotional appeal. Obviously my child. However, I would also make sure that others (be they legal or not) are able to have an equal opportunity for success. This is much like the same concept of public education. Parents want success for their own children, but feel that others deserve the same opportunities as well.

As for the spelling, whoops, that's a gaffe...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I never said being a high school graduate was something to be ashamed of but when someone can't rationalize a situation with any degree of accuracy or common sense then perhaps that high school education wasn't enough.

I never said what my educational background was. I am missing the "quality" of advocating illegal aliens in our country? Good! I have no desire for that so-called "quality".
What is your educational background? Since you seem to exhibit the bolded statement...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

The Senate Finance Committee did not pass the H.R. bill with a public option partly due to the debacle with illegal immigration (which we know is false).

Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Per the "deflect attention", we can turn to Joe Wilson. His now infamous "You lie" statement was the rallying cry of both 9/12ers and the insurance industry. However, the bill did not include illegal immigrants. The wording specifically excluded them. Still, support was garnered against the bill. Why? Because the fear induced in people meant that would be less receptive to the program and ultimately not change our current system. Private insurance companies finance these "grassroots" protest in order to stave off competition. Illegal immigration was used to falsely galvanize support for keeping the status quo.

The bold, again contains a huge flaw. It implies that there are only two plausible outcomes. That I do put the health and well-being of my children first, or I don't. Plus, this question is rooted in an emotional appeal. Obviously my child. However, I would also make sure that others (be they legal or not) are able to have an equal opportunity for success. This is much like the same concept of public education. Parents want success for their own children, but feel that others deserve the same opportunities as well.

As for the spelling, whoops, that's a gaffe...
If a bill excludes a group, yet has no provisions to prevent them from being included, are they actually excluded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration