Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why do you put the word 'right' in quotes?

If you want to be a citizen of a world with no borders start looking for another planet.

I find your way of thinking insulting.
As do I find it insulting. Especially if he is a U.S. citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In the case of township taxes or property taxes, illegal immigrants pay them too, even if it's by proxy.

Chances are, they are renting, thus they are paying rent. The landlord pays property tax on the rental property. Voila.

I'm not going to dispute the rest of your post, because you have valid points, but in the case of health care, ER visits, and handouts, is it okay for American citizens to accept free health care, ER visits and handouts on the taxpayers' dime? Yes, they have a "right" to be here, but American citizens taking handouts is no less of a burden on the system than illegal immigrants doing so.
American citizens taking handouts. Some might say that due to birth right they are entitled to what this nation has to offer. Some can argue that collectively and individually they and their families have paid into the system. Are they a burden? Perhaps. Sort of like the difference of giving your child an allowance versus your neighbors kid coming over and demanding one also.
They pay rent. Do they also pay income tax? Not always and often not.
Viola they don't pay their share.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If a bill excludes a group, yet has no provisions to prevent them from being included, are they actually excluded?
There were provisions. Also, why would entire bill not be passed without a public option due to a percieved lack of provisions? Again, fear of illegal immigrants to galvanize support against this reform.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
There were provisions. Also, why would entire bill not be passed without a public option due to a percieved lack of provisions? Again, fear of illegal immigrants to galvanize support against this reform.
I don't see it as fear but anger. That much tax payer money pick pocketing will tend to make people angry.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't see it as fear but anger. That much tax payer money pick pocketing will tend to make people angry.
No it's fear. Anger is somewhat related to fear (whole fight or flight), regardless, it's irrational.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No difference between a citizen and an illegal alien? I see. Surplus? Surely you jest. We are in the red now and just need to try and dig ourselves out of the hole.

I would rather our government just made a bonfire out of our taxes rather than spend it on illegal invaders who have no respect for our laws.
I didn't say there wasn't a difference, but when it comes to supporting them on a personal/financial level, I don't see who exactly I'm supporting, whether they be native, legal, or illegal.

Yes, we do need to dig ourselves out of the hole, but it will probably take inflation to do that, not deportation.

Make a bonfire? Surely you jest. They must respect some laws, or else they'd be getting arrested right and left, not to mention, they take advantage of our laws and use them to their benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why do you put the word 'right' in quotes?

If you want to be a citizen of a world with no borders start looking for another planet.

I find your way of thinking insulting.
I put the word "right" in quotes, because we didn't earn our birthright as Americans. Are we simply better than them because we managed to be born here due to no fault or effort of our own?

Rights should be given to all, not just to those of us who managed to be born here. We shouldn't be given "rights" simply because our parents managed to be here on US soil when we popped out.

You can have your nationalistic point-of-view, and I'll be kind enough to not think it's insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You will get no argument from me in defense of our government. It is inept and replete with corruption and greed. However, we simply cannot continue to support millions of foreigners who are here illegally; in particular, while we can’t even adequately provide for our own. They are an added and unnecessary burden.

Do you see the difference between having to support your children, as opposed to your children and 5 of your neighbor’s kids?
Of course. But, it really isn't affecting my daily life one way or another.

Quote:
As do I find it insulting. Especially if he is a U.S. citizen.
Here we go again, questioning my citizenship.

I was born in Long Beach, CA, to two Americans. My father was born in Oceanside, CA. My mother was born in Los Angeles, CA. I have a birth certificate and social security card. I have a CO driver's license. I have been to Canada several times and Tijuana, MX three times.

Would you like more proof? Is it so hard for you to understand that perhaps not everybody shares the same sentiments as you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
American citizens taking handouts. Some might say that due to birth right they are entitled to what this nation has to offer. Some can argue that collectively and individually they and their families have paid into the system. Are they a burden? Perhaps. Sort of like the difference of giving your child an allowance versus your neighbors kid coming over and demanding one also.
They pay rent. Do they also pay income tax? Not always and often not.
Viola they don't pay their share.
Well, why not give them an opportunity to??????

Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I didn't say there wasn't a difference, but when it comes to supporting them on a personal/financial level, I don't see who exactly I'm supporting, whether they be native, legal, or illegal.

Yes, we do need to dig ourselves out of the hole, but it will probably take inflation to do that, not deportation.

Make a bonfire? Surely you jest. They must respect some laws, or else they'd be getting arrested right and left, not to mention, they take advantage of our laws and use them to their benefit.

I put the word "right" in quotes, because we didn't earn our birthright as Americans. Are we simply better than them because we managed to be born here due to no fault or effort of our own?

Rights should be given to all, not just to those of us who managed to be born here. We shouldn't be given "rights" simply because our parents managed to be here on US soil when we popped out.

You can have your nationalistic point-of-view, and I'll be kind enough to not think it's insulting.

Of course. But, it really isn't affecting my daily life one way or another.

Here we go again, questioning my citizenship.

I was born in Long Beach, CA, to two Americans. My father was born in Oceanside, CA. My mother was born in Los Angeles, CA. I have a birth certificate and social security card. I have a CO driver's license. I have been to Canada several times and Tijuana, MX three times.

Would you like more proof? Is it so hard for you to understand that perhaps not everybody shares the same sentiments as you?

Well, why not give them an opportunity to??????
It does make a difference whom we are supporting. Our tax dollars should go towards our own citizens, not illegal aliens.

There are certain rights that a citizen is bestowed by birth on our soil and rightly so. Sorry, you don't agree. Thinking that foreigners should have the same rights is just plain bizzarre. No where in the world will you find this kind of thinking acceptable or reasonable.

The presence of illegal aliens in our country is affecting you negatively in many ways. You just choose to stick your head in the sand and remain in denial because you are a sympathizer. I don't know if by you surname you are actually Hispanic but if so, that would pretty much explain your stance.

I wasn't questioning your citizenship per se. I just couldn't remember from your prior posts whether you had stated you were or were not a citizen. Thanks for clarifying that. What I meant that I find it disgusting for a citizen to defend, aid and abet illegal aliens.

The only thing that illegal aliens are entitled to is deportation. They don't deserve the opportunity to do anything in this country other than leaving.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
The presence of illegal aliens in our country is affecting you inegatively in many ways. You just choose to stick your head in the sand and remain in denial because you are a sympathizer. I don't know if by you surname you are actually Hispanic but if so, that would pretty much explain your stance.
I can't speak for Mr. Aguilar...but my wife HAD a Hispanic surname...and her position on illegal immigrants makes ME look like an Aztlan apologist.

Don't let those surnames fool you...nor one's race or appearance. You may be surprised. I've known quite a number of FORMER illegals who are now VERY much against that 'practice'.

What was 'OK' in the past, under other circumstances, MAY not always be 'OK' today....regardless of one's ethnicity, religion, race, or any other 'marker'. I know a number of white Southern protestants who are DEAD SET against segregation and slavery.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No it's fear. Anger is somewhat related to fear (whole fight or flight), regardless, it's irrational.
What's irrational about it? What do you do when you find out someone has been tapping your bank account? Run away?

No you fight. What's irrational is to let your heart run your brain. We can't save the World but we can save our social service network from people it's not meant to support. We can also save our schools and our ER access, maybe even cut down on acccidents committed by people who aren't supposed to be here.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,220,591 times
ok and if the cops ask for id to somebody with no probable cause [and he in fact is a citizen], just simply to racially profile, we could sue the pants out of all police dept for practicing these prejudiced policys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration