Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:41 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with showing my ID. Im in the system and am identified in several different ways now so why shouldnt these non english speaking street people not have their IDs?,,Lets check and be sure they have registered with the selective service too. Afterall OUR sons are forsed to register. My neighbor just had his roof replaced. All I heard for three days was spanish being hollered by the workers. When I had my roof replaced I told the owner that if I saw any of his men that even looked hispanic I would require for him to PROVE they were 100% documented as legal OUR HE WOULDNT GET PAID TILL HE DID SO. He didnt like it but its my house and my money AND MY DECISION,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I think the whole concept of day laborers is great. I've used them a number of times. But I would not want their central pick-up spot to be right in front of my house. I would not mind if it was near my office building. But I wouldn't want dozens of any type of people milling around my front lawn. It would bug me if a dozen Catholic nuns hung around all day across the street from my home.
I think the whole concept is terrible. It's not good for this country to have tens of millions of unemployed people who can work on a day-to-day basis. Yes it's great for the greedy types who believe in having plenty of dirt-paid peons and servants but it is not good for this country.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
At least back in the days of slavery, the slave masters were expected to provide housing and some kind of living for their slaves, they fed them. Now people think it's a good thing for people to be sleeping under the bushes at night, living with no insurance, paid very little and no steady income --- just so they get all the cheap labor possible. The hungrier and more desperate -- the better.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Maybe it's time to bring back the concept of indentured servitude. The illegals can pay off their debt to society by providing free labor for five years or whatever while being provided food and shelter.

I think I'm kidding, though.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:05 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,252 times
We shoud have never allowed the presense of illegal day laborers from the beginning. That is why we have so many problems with them now.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 PM

22 posts, read 18,638 times
What kind of problems?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Just like standing on the corner in gangs, selling drugs.
They are selling illegal labor.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
What kind of problems?
Harms Caused by Disorder at Day Laborer Sites

Potential problems associated with day laborer sites center mostly on where laborers congregate while waiting for work, and not at the workplaces themselves. The following are among the many reasons police need to be concerned with day laborer activity.
Public Disorder
  • The presence of large numbers of laborers and contractors often creates parking and traffic problems.
  • The constant congregation of laborers in the same place for many hours creates loitering problems.
  • Laborers often leave discarded bottles, food wrappers, and other litter at day laborer sites.
  • Laborers may vandalize area property or deface property with graffiti.
  • Laborers waiting all day for work may urinate in public.
  • Injuries among laborers related to “swarming” may occur. Swarming often occurs when there are many more laborers than the contractor needs. Injuries sometimes occur when many laborers “swarm” around a contractor’s vehicle, hoping to be selected for a job.
  • Laborers congregating on sidewalks may harass pedestrians.
Crime
  • Simple and aggravated assaults may take place at day laborer sites.
  • Laborers may be routinely robbed.[2]
  • Laborers may drink and sell or use illicit drugs in public.
Economic Concerns
  • Immigrant day laborers may make it more difficult for community residents to find work.
  • Increased contractors’ reliance on day laborers may undercut salary levels and employee benefits for full-time workers.
Spillover Effects
  • The presence of troublesome day laborer sites may incite citizens’ frustration and disdain for immigrants.
  • Disorderly day laborer sites could lead to increased fear of crime among community members.
  • Uncontrolled day laborer sites in residential areas may affect property values.
Center for Problem Oriented Policing | Problem Guides | Disorder at Day Laborer Sites

Old 11-06-2009, 04:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Job Applicant View Post

Would you support the police asking day laborers for their papers?
What papers? There are no 'papers' that anyone carries around with them that proves immigration status or citizenship. The police would be asking for something that does not exist.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Maybe it's time to bring back the concept of indentured servitude. The illegals can pay off their debt to society by providing free labor for five years or whatever while being provided food and shelter.

I think I'm kidding, though.
That is a great idea. Let them work off their fine for breaking the law OR deport them being sure they are finger printed so if caught here again they will go to jail where they will work for free making car tags and cleaning up the road sides and picking fruit for the state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration