Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:48 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times

Advertisements

I say stop and ask anyone who can't answer you back in English. I wouldnt care if the police had to stop everyone single one of at times for the next 5 yes. This country created a foolish situation with uncontrolled borders and now it will take extreme measures to clean it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:42 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal
I think the whole concept of day laborers is great. I've used them a number of times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the whole concept is terrible. It's not good for this country to have tens of millions of unemployed people who can work on a day-to-day basis. Yes it's great for the greedy types who believe in having plenty of dirt-paid peons and servants but it is not good for this country.
I dunno. If I found myself unemployed I would rather work for a few months as a day laborer just to get by than try to live on handouts. I could get by as a day laborer until I got back on my feet and found a better job. But that’s just me—I don’t mind hard work. Seems like some people want to have Uncle Sam take care of everything. They don’t want to break a sweat, or get blisters, or anything. Some people just want to have everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I say stop and ask anyone who can't answer you back in English. I wouldnt care if the police had to stop everyone single one of at times for the next 5 yes. This country created a foolish situation with uncontrolled borders and now it will take extreme measures to clean it up
I don't thing there is any law saying a person has to speak English is there? I guess we would have to pass that law first.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:58 PM

22 posts, read 18,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Harms Caused by Disorder at Day Laborer Sites

Potential problems associated with day laborer sites center mostly on where laborers congregate while waiting for work, and not at the workplaces themselves. The following are among the many reasons police need to be concerned with day laborer activity.
Public Disorder
  • The presence of large numbers of laborers and contractors often creates parking and traffic problems.
  • The constant congregation of laborers in the same place for many hours creates loitering problems.
  • Laborers often leave discarded bottles, food wrappers, and other litter at day laborer sites.
  • Laborers may vandalize area property or deface property with graffiti.
  • Laborers waiting all day for work may urinate in public.
  • Injuries among laborers related to “swarming” may occur. Swarming often occurs when there are many more laborers than the contractor needs. Injuries sometimes occur when many laborers “swarm” around a contractor’s vehicle, hoping to be selected for a job.
  • Laborers congregating on sidewalks may harass pedestrians.
Crime
  • Simple and aggravated assaults may take place at day laborer sites.
  • Laborers may be routinely robbed.[2]
  • Laborers may drink and sell or use illicit drugs in public.
Economic Concerns
  • Immigrant day laborers may make it more difficult for community residents to find work.
  • Increased contractors’ reliance on day laborers may undercut salary levels and employee benefits for full-time workers.
Spillover Effects
  • The presence of troublesome day laborer sites may incite citizens’ frustration and disdain for immigrants.
  • Disorderly day laborer sites could lead to increased fear of crime among community members.
  • Uncontrolled day laborer sites in residential areas may affect property values.
Center for Problem Oriented Policing | Problem Guides | Disorder at Day Laborer Sites
"Potential problems" "may" "could". Yeah, okay. They don't bother me.
I don't really care if ICE checks day labor sites.
But I'd much prefer my police go after gangbangers regardless of citizenship, and other more serious criminals, rather than go around harassing day laborers because people consider brown men standing around "blight", and are very disturbed by it.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:58 PM

706 posts, read 940,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I don't thing there is any law saying a person has to speak English is there? I guess we would have to pass that law first.
I will have to do a little research here,but I believe that one of the requirements of becoming a citizen of the USA is to have a working knowledge of English.

USCIS - General Naturalization Requirements

Language

Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age;
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over 50 years of age; or
  • have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.
SNIP

Last edited by borderlord; 11-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
I will have to do a little research here,but I believe that one of the requirements of becoming a citizen of the USA is to have a working knowledge of English.
I think you are correct about the language requirement for becoming a citizen. But I could raise my kids to speak Yiddish or even Swahili and I wouldn't be breaking any laws, right?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Then what would you do with them once you realized they could not speak English? And what if the suspect's English was not perfect? If a police officer were to stop everyone in a densely populated area he would be doing nothing but interrogating people and testing them for English proficiency - not a very efficient use of resources.

I am opposed to illegal immigration but this is not a solution.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
"Potential problems" "may" "could". Yeah, okay. They don't bother me.
I don't really care if ICE checks day labor sites.
But I'd much prefer my police go after gangbangers regardless of citizenship, and other more serious criminals, rather than go around harassing day laborers because people consider brown men standing around "blight", and are very disturbed by it.
I disagree. I realize that rape, murder, and carjacking may impact some people's lives. I'm even willing to admit these crimes MAY, in theory at least, be cause for some community alarm. But I do not believe that ANY crime, regardless of its level of violence or depravity, has the power to upset the average citizen like "Brown men standing around".

There's something about that spectacle that causes a person's 'blood to boil'. I'm not trying to excuse crime, you understand..only trying to point out that 'Brown men standing around' can cause the most tolerant soul to 'see red'...
(I'M even getting mad just WRITING about it...and I'm a reasonable guy !!)

Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 PM

706 posts, read 940,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I think you are correct about the language requirement for becoming a citizen. But I could raise my kids to speak Yiddish or even Swahili and I wouldn't be breaking any laws, right?
Nope......but I believe you answered a question in regards to someone being stopped by law enforcement, and I responded to that scenario.

Originally Posted by jacktravern

"I don't thing there is any law saying a person has to speak English is there? I guess we would have to pass that law first."

Seems to me that someone in this situation would be more than willing to speak english,if they were capable......

sorry for the large type....still a windows weenie....

Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 PM

22 posts, read 18,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I disagree. I realize that rape, murder, and carjacking may impact some people's lives. I'm even willing to admit these crimes MAY, in theory at least, be cause for some community alarm. But I do not believe that ANY crime, regardless of its level of violence or depravity, has the power to upset the average citizen like "Brown men standing around".

There's something about that spectacle that causes a person's 'blood to boil'. I'm not trying to excuse crime, you understand..only trying to point out that 'Brown men standing around' can cause the most tolerant soul to 'see red'...
(I'M even getting mad just WRITING about it...and I'm a reasonable guy !!)
Damn, you're genius. You really shook the cobwebs loose on that one.

I mean, day laborers standing around..it can really affect a person like rape and murder. It's such a personal, depraved act. The personal nature of it must be what really gets to people.

I mean, I can't say I've been bothered by day laborers. But have you ever been to one of those upscale malls in LA? The Grove? 3rd Street Promenade?

Oh geez. The people just standing around there. It's a true mess. Most of them aren't even actively shopping! Standing around getting in my way when I'm trying to make it to the store. There's definitely lots of "potential" for injury. And I can just imagine that many "may" be dealing drugs. Because large groups of loiterers always equals the potential of drug dealing and graffiti. Don't get me started on them sitting around just taking all the benches up while they're "people watching". How sick is that? Perverts.

I really wanna complain about those people. It affects me so much. It just makes my skin crawl knowing that many of these people are probably in on some kind of tax evasion, or insider trading, or other kinds of things that make life difficult for the common working man.

These people bother you guys too...right?

Let's just keep it real for a second, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration