Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We continue to send aid, because we have to maintain the image of the world’s benevolent superpower. Mind you, our own citizens are needy and homeless. You’re absolutely right. We no longer have the funds to be the ATM for the impoverished of the world.

For 40 years, U.S. foreign aid has been judged by its intentions, not its results. Foreign aid programs have been perpetuated and expanded not because they have succeeded, but because giving foreign aid still seems like a good idea. But foreign aid has rarely done anything that countries could not have done for themselves. And it has often encouraged the recipient governments' worst tendencies--helping to underwrite programs and policies that have starved thousands of people and derailed struggling economies.

The Continuing Failure of Foreign Aid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
For 40 years, U.S. foreign aid has been judged by its intentions, not its results. Foreign aid programs have been perpetuated and expanded not because they have succeeded, but because giving foreign aid still seems like a good idea. But foreign aid has rarely done anything that countries could not have done for themselves. And it has often encouraged the recipient governments' worst tendencies--helping to underwrite programs and policies that have starved thousands of people and derailed struggling economies.

The Continuing Failure of Foreign Aid
Absolutely! The greedy leaders of those countries reap the benefit, not the citizens. It is a monumental travesty.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why are we sending aid in the first place??

It is time for the USA, to be a little selfish.

I know with my business, when cash flow is short, I don't donate anything to charity.
I have to think of myself and my business, to survive.
Agreed.. I thought that remittances sent by the Illegal Aliens and dissappearing from the U.S. economy was helping to rebuild their home countries..

Sounds like someone IS being selfish here and it ain't the U.S.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
"I don't think I agree with what he's saying," said Yvette Sanchez, of west El Paso. "Because regardless of whether they're illegal or not, they're human beings. They need medical attention."

that's a quote from within that story.
this attitude kills me. yes they should recieve medical attention, BUT NOT WITH MY TAX DOLLARS DAMN IT!

They can get medical care in Mexico its cheaper

Mexico's health care lures Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration