Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 AM

776 posts, read 1,273,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'd rather have my kid learning English so he can better compete with that little kid from China or India someday who is going on to engineering college or medical school because his parents encouraged him to learn English.
At the rate we seem to be going here in America, he might be working for that little kid from China or India someday.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
The thing is, if more of us could communicate with Spanish speaking illegals then we could better influence their behavior. Less crime, less graffiti, better performance in schools. PLUS we would improve our language skills as a nation. WIN-WIN! What could be better.
Why in the world would we want to learn Spanish to communicate with illegals? We should learn the language of a group of people who blantantly disregarded and disrespected our immigration laws? They are going home anyway by hook or by crook. Mark my word!

We have been an English speaking country since its founding and have done just fine. The only reason an American might need to learn another language is if they are in the tourist industry or planning on moving to another country for a period of time. If you don't use it, you lose it! We have had this discussion before.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Foreign languages should be offered in our schools but a wide variety of them. Sure Mandarin is good, Arabic, Japanese -- many many languages. International trade would favor Japanese and Mandarin, science would favor Russian and French.
I LIKE that idea. Too bad we don't do more of this already. We should introduce a foreign language to our kids early on, while they have a better chance of learning it with less accent--say, in kindergarten or even preschool.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
No they won't learn English. They would already be learning it if they had any desire to learn it. They would just continue to be lazy and let the Americans speak Spanish to them -- that's already the case.
We will never know unless we try.

Quote:
We're not going to be the wealthiest or strongest because we're bringing in unlimited numbers of third world types who have little motivation to adapt or learn anything, and we're becoming more and more third world with it's gangs and graffitti and of course breeding habits.
I'm not so sure about these things. I don't think illegal immigrants have little motivation to ability to learn anything.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I only learned Spanish to travel in Mexico. It's funny how Americans will learn more Spanish for a 2 week vacation in Mexico than the "immigrants" will learn of English after 30, 40 years of living the good life here.
Yeah, funny that.

Say, I would bet that if Spanish was our official second language you would have kept up with it after your two week vacation was over.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why in the world would we want to learn Spanish to communicate with illegals? We should learn the language of a group of people who blantantly disregarded and disrespected our immigration laws? They are going home anyway by hook or by crook. Mark my word!
Well, for one, to keep up with the rest of the world, since they already speak a second language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We have been an English speaking country since its founding and have done just fine. The only reason an American might need to learn another language is if they are in the tourist industry or planning on moving to another country for a period of time. If you don't use it, you lose it! We have had this discussion before.
I don’t think that is the only reason an American would want to learn a second language. Many Americans simply want to improve themselves, and possibly better understand different cultures.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Quote:
Well, for one, to keep up with the rest of the world, since they already speak a second language.

I don’t think that is the only reason an American would want to learn a second language. Many Americans simply want to improve themselves, and possibly better understand different cultures.
We are the most successful country on the planet. So I wouldn't say we need to keep up with the rest of the world. As I said, there is no need for Americans to learn another langauge unless they are in the tourist industry or they plan on moving abroad for awhile. I can think of far more important things to study that would contribute to improving an American's economic status then learning another language they won't use.

You don't have to learn another language to understand different cultures in this country. Our nation is already quite diverse and we are subjected to these different cultures everyday. The Americans of those cultures already speak English for the most part anyway. So what's to learn since they can communicate with us in English about their cultural practices if we are curious about them?

I have no intention of learning Spanish to commicate with illegal invaders. Why in the world would I want to communicate with law breakers? English is our language and no way should Spanish be on the same level as our national language.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM

836 posts, read 3,376,544 times
Wait why should I have to learn Spanish to appease the Illegals in this Country? They were the ones who chose to cross our borders Illegally. I don't see any reasons of why we need to learn their language to communicate with them, if they want to communicate with us then they should be the ones to learn English! If you move to a country that doesn't speak English they expect you to learn their language so why shouldn't it be the same here.

And I also agree with chicagonut..specially the last part.

Last edited by wolfeyes; 11-10-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM

706 posts, read 938,254 times
[quote=chicagonut;11562897]We are the most successful country on the planet. So I wouldn't say we need to keep up with the rest of the world.

I suppose I could learn spanish beyond my 3 years in High School and I would still NEVER understand how they (illegals) feel that it is OK to sneak into a country, ( against the law) be found with fraudelent ID's and SSN (against the law) drive without a license or insurance, ( against the law ) Sell fraudulent documents, ( aganst the law) and then demand their rights in a country in which they have no loyalty to, nor have any intention of abiding by that country's laws. To me, that is as arrogant as it gets.
Let people learn any language they wish to learn...but do not "adopt" spanish ( or any other language ) as a second official language as a means to accomodate people who do not belong here in the first place.
jmo

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,181,649 times
Quote:
Excellent point! We are just a small step away from knowing Spanish already. Why not make it official?
Lets just make English official and quite fooling around. Enough of the BS too with printing voting ballots and other ducuments in other languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.