Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:11 PM

16 posts, read 22,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Have you been to Europe lately? EVERYONE speaks two languages, sometimes three or more. Japan, Korea—heck, most of Asia—almost always speak a second language. Yet here in the good ole USA we generally speak only English—and often not well.

To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Like Canada with English/French.
i agree with the whole sencond language thing. but the education system needs to start as soon as a kid starts speakin the first one.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cej92 View Post
i agree with the whole sencond language thing. but the education system needs to start as soon as a kid starts speakin the first one.
Spanish; like French, is provincial whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.

Looking at different nations like China, Japan, Germany, etc; the second language (if used at all) on the signage, etc. is almost always English.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:27 PM

838 posts, read 922,003 times
Quote:
The thing is, if more of us could communicate with Spanish speaking illegals then we could better influence their behavior. Less crime, less graffiti, better performance in schools. PLUS we would improve our language skills as a nation. WIN-WIN! What could be better.
I'll tell you what would be better and the only thing that will work: We as a nation, over 80% of us want illegals deported and that will not change whether illegals all speak English or not. Illegals cause some type of problem almost everytime I leave the house.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
The thing is, if more of us could communicate with Spanish speaking illegals then we could better influence their behavior. Less crime, less graffiti, better performance in schools. PLUS we would improve our language skills as a nation. WIN-WIN! What could be better.
Learning a bit of Spanish will make all our problems go away ?
No, no it won't.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,174 times
I dont see how Americans learning Spanish would solve anything at all. If a thats the case then 3/4's of Americans would have to move to the Southwest. Which is silly of course. But since languages are best, and most fluently learned by emersion in that particular culture, that would be what is required for Americans to truly adapt fluency in Spanish. Now of course the more common sensical approach would be for those spanish speakers who come to a mostly English speaking country, to adapt English as their primary language since they will be emersed in it.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:02 PM

838 posts, read 922,003 times
Quote:
If America sits on her heels and doesn’t adapt we won’t remain the most successful country on the planet for long. Increasing our language skills by adopting a second official U.S. language could be just the edge we need.

Ha ha! Your use of the word “subjected” tells me all I need to know about what you think of cultural diversity.

Fine. Nobody would force you to learn Spanish. That is, unless you get hired by a Spanish speaking company and your livelihood depends upon it. Would you learn Spanish then perhaps?
Not funny. We know what Mexicans would think of illegal invaders by the many millions coming in and trying to take over their country, no culture wants to be subjected to that. I go out of the house and might as well be in S. America, about all I hear is Spanish so cannot stand that language.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Not funny. We know what Mexicans would think of illegal invaders by the many millions coming in and trying to take over their country, no culture wants to be subjected to that. I go out of the house and might as well be in S. America, about all I hear is Spanish so cannot stand that language.
Same thing here. Everywhere I go I hear more Spanish being spoken than English by Latinos. What's up with that? I always wonder if there are really that many illegals in my area or are many of these Latino citizens who just refuse to speak English unless they have to. If it is the latter then even Latino citizens aren't assimilating very well.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
The only think Americans need to learn is, "the boot in the A$$" technique.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Same thing here. Everywhere I go I hear more Spanish being spoken than English by Latinos. What's up with that? I always wonder if there are really that many illegals in my area or are many of these Latino citizens who just refuse to speak English unless they have to. If it is the latter then even Latino citizens aren't assimilating very well.
The collapsing 'reconquista' is showing signs of being a rout here in Arizona------------the (mostly Hispanic) illegal aliens are bugging out as we speak.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only think Americans need to learn is, "the boot in the A$$" technique.
Hands BentBow the boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration