Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
What do you mean my poor choices? I'm am not the landlord or comercial development owner who is renting to the undocumented. I'm just reaping the positive effects it has had on my neighborhood.
By accepting illegals into your neighborhood and not condemning the actions of the greedy you become a willing partner.
When these illegals use false ID's and your legal neighbor is hurt by it, what then?
Will you still be ok will illegals when it is your ID that is stolen?
When it is your car that is damaged by an uninsured illegal at the wheel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
By accepting illegals into your neighborhood and not condemning the actions of the greedy you become a willing partner.
When these illegals use false ID's and your legal neighbor is hurt by it, what then?
Will you still be ok will illegals when it is your ID that is stolen?
When it is your car that is damaged by an uninsured illegal at the wheel?
I'm not overly concerned about either of those possibilities but both are risks well worth all the benefits I receive from them being here. Plus since I'm bilingual it has opened up alot of career opportunities I wouldn't have had. If it wasn't for the state of California's huge Spanish speaking population I wouldn't have the job that I have right now.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
I'm not overly concerned about either of those possibilities but both are risks well worth all the benefits I receive from them being here. Plus since I'm bilingual it has opened up alot of career opportunities I wouldn't have had. If it wasn't for the state of California's huge Spanish speaking population I wouldn't have the job that I have right now.
“I” appears to be the only motive. Have you no concern for your fellow Americans; many whom have lost jobs and homes due to massive illegal immigration?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM

It really annoys me when people start playing the blame game. They have nobody to blame but themselves for that. The only people I could see possibly affected by that are in the construction industry and the guys who are really good at what they do are still doing well. I recently took two estimates for an exterior project on my house, one of the contracters was undocumented, the other is an American citizen. I ended up taking the American's contract, why? Because he had done really good work for my parents and the exterior he was using was what better fit our needs. His estimate was actually $200 higher but it didn't matter because of what I already mentioned. If it's a matter of you not being able to level up to competition than I have no sympathy for you, welcome to capitalism. Either outcompete your competition or go back to school and get an education to go into a different field. Plain and simple.

or what did those homeowners lose their job as a dishwasher in a restaurant to an undocumented immigrant? Please.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It really annoys me when people start playing the blame game. They have nobody to blame but themselves for that. The only people I could see possibly affected by that are in the construction industry and the guys who are really good at what they do are still doing well. I recently took two estimates for an exterior project on my house, one of the contracters was undocumented, the other is an American citizen. I ended up taking the American's contract, why? Because he had done really good work for my parents and the exterior he was using was what better fit our needs. His estimate was actually $200 higher but it didn't matter because of what I already mentioned. If it's a matter of you not being able to level up to competition than I have no sympathy for you, welcome to capitalism. Either outcompete your competition or go back to school and get an education to go into a different field. Plain and simple.

or what did those homeowners lose their job as a dishwasher in a restaurant to an undocumented immigrant? Please.
Clearly you are clueless. The dynamics of the cheap labor industry has greed as its basis, not skills or marketability. You stated that without illegal immigration, and without the Spanish population in CA, you would not be employed, etc. As such, it is YOU who needs to seek additional training and education. I have mine; thus, I am not threatened by, nor do I depend on, the existence of illiterate foreign peasants for my livelihood.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 AM

I don't depend on it, it has just opened up more opportunities for me as after getting hired on for a corporate position I accepted a promotion to a position where my Spanish proficiency was needed. Through my high school and college years I recognized the opportunities I could have for being bilingual with the increasing Hispanic population in the United States so I worked hard and learned a second language and now it's paying off. I'm not sure where you go off saying that I'm the one who needs to seek additional training and education, thanks for the concern though.

The dynamics of the "cheap labor industry" is not based on greed, its based on operational efficiency. If we can't find cheap enough labor here large companies are going to outsource to countries where labor can be found cheaper anyway so what's the difference? Globalization is inevitable, so the best thing you can do is learn to adapt.

Also, I'd still like you to explain exactly who are these people who are losing their jobs and homes to undocumented workers. I know several people who have been laid off but it has been because of the economic recession causing employers to downsize. I don't know anyone who can directly attribute their job loss and lost home to an undocumented worker. Please elaborate.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I don't depend on it, it has just opened up more opportunities for me as after getting hired on for a corporate position I accepted a promotion to a position where my Spanish proficiency was needed. Through my high school and college years I recognized the opportunities I could have for being bilingual with the increasing Hispanic population in the United States so I worked hard and learned a second language and now it's paying off. I'm not sure where you go off saying that I'm the one who needs to seek additional training and education, thanks for the concern though.

The dynamics of the "cheap labor industry" is not based on greed, its based on operational efficiency. If we can't find cheap enough labor here large companies are going to outsource to countries where labor can be found cheaper anyway so what's the difference? Globalization is inevitable, so the best thing you can do is learn to adapt.

Also, I'd still like you to explain exactly who are these people who are losing their jobs and homes to undocumented workers. I know several people who have been laid off but it has been because of the economic recession causing employers to downsize. I don't know anyone who can directly attribute their job loss and lost home to an undocumented worker. Please elaborate.
Greed is the impetus for outsourcing, in-sourcing, and illegal immigration. They have all contributed to the decline of our middle-class, and the loss of jobs for millions of U.S. citizens. If you can acknowledge the impact of outsourcing for cheap labor, you should also realize the impact of importing cheap labor. How low should wages fall to remain competitive in our global economy? Do you consider anything immoral in our quest to compete against China and India?

I do not personally know anyone who has experienced foreclosure due to illegal immigration. Likewise, I don’t personally know anyone who has been the victim of ID theft by an illegal, but that is also a reality. Common sense dictates if citizens are being displaced by cheap labor, legal or illegal, and are unable to find jobs, they certainly cannot pay their bills.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do you consider anything immoral in our quest to compete against China and India?
That's your opinion. I personally don't find it immoral, it's a product of simple economics principles. I think we are going to have to accept tactics like outsourcing if we can hope to compete with countries like China and India going forward.

Quote:
I do not personally know anyone who has experienced foreclosure due to illegal immigration. Likewise, I don’t personally know anyone who has been the victim of ID theft by an illegal
Exactly my point. Until I start meeting or find out about people who are directly impacted by it then I'm not going to freak out about it and consider it a major problem.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
That's your opinion. I personally don't find it immoral, it's a product of simple economics principles. I think we are going to have to accept tactics like outsourcing if we can hope to compete with countries like China and India going forward.

Exactly my point. Until I start meeting or find out about people who are directly impacted by it then I'm not going to freak out about it and consider it a major problem.
In other words, as long as you are not directly impacted, all is well. Got it.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Escondido is a nice city. I don't think a city with a median family income of $58,000 is a Barrio. East Los Angeles, considered a true Barrio, has a median income of roughly $37,000. However, it is interesting to note that the economy of East LA would suffer if mass deportations were to occur.
Escondido used to be a beautiful City but now the inner part of it is a mess.

Do they count the income of Illegal Aliens? I'm thinking not. How would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration