Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Thank you for the clarification BL. My thoughts were that some how you thought I was teasing by involving both issues and that it was some how impossible to believe that a supporter of illegal immigrants could also be patriotic. Let me tell you that it is possible. I have stated this several times here. I dont advocate for more illegal immigrants to our country. I advocate legalization of this group as the best solution to illegal immigration and a halt to the problem...for many reasons I dont consider important to mention on this thread.

Like you, I also spent my day, "Veteran's Day" dedicating time to our veterans. I dedicate a lot of my time to them, as a matter of fact, I am a member of the auxiliary team for AMVETS. I have been a part of the meetings that take place for the Mexican-American veteran's monument at the capitol. I am also working on gathering a group of AA veterans to start a committe and request a monument for them as well.

As far as Mr. Diaz, I would hope that at his age, no one would question his legal status or his loyalty. Though I dont understand the comment about wishing he was Italian instead. A couple of years ago, I attended a ceremony to honor a veteran of WWII as well by the name of Alejandro Ruiz, aka "Alex Ruiz". A Mexican-American, also in his 80's who was recognized with the highest level award...the purple heart. This man was on a wheelchair and unable to eat. He was on a feeding tube. After the ceremony, he left and his family among others stayed to enjoy the food. I thought, it was a shame. However, it was quite an honor to be present and he serves as a role model, someone I can point to, to our future generation, so I am grateful.

Alejandro R. Ruiz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually appreciate your post. This is a hot topic and anyone can over react. Imagine how I feel when I read in this forum from others that "only Europeans and Blacks contributed to this great country"? To top it off, I read threads that lump all Mexican-Americans, legal Mexicans and illegal Mexicans by calling it an invasion. Whether it is racism, prejudice or simply uninformed people, it is very clear to me that it is ignorance and I fear for our future generation growing up with people who will label them as invaders and people who have not contributed to our history. I dont want to even think about what that will do to our children's self-esteem.

Good luck with your campout!

Respectfully,

Zacatecana
No one has said that Hispanics haven't contributed to building this country but much of it in its early stages was built by white Europeans and blacks.

No one is lumping all Hisapnics together either. It is you pro-illegal advocates that do that. You blur the line between legal and illegal all the time. The invasion is only on the part of the illegal kind so stop twisting other people's words to fit your victimhood agenda. Of course an invasion causes fear but prejudice and racism has nothing to do with it. We already have millions of Hispanic citizens in our country so why would we fear Hispanics per se? It is about our immigration laws.

If you are fearing how your children will be percieved in the future then why doesn't your ethnic kind go down in history as helping to fight this illegal invasion rather than supporting it? You make your own bed and then cry about it?

Sorry for my off topic remarks that aren't about Veteran's Day but I had to respond to these initial off topic remarks since they were so filled with untruths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You brought up an excellent point concerning Filipinos.

Being that the Philippines was once a US territory (till 1946), there may indeed be significantly less hostility towards illegals from there vs. any other nation----------including Canada.
Hmmm...so now its not about "the law is the law". Its about who we favor, right? The Philippines was a US territory??? I thought we had a few military bases there but that was it and from what I hear, the Philippine government kicked us out because there was too much prostitution and drunkeness around the military bases.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Hmmm...so now its not about "the law is the law". Its about who we favor, right? The Philippines was a US territory??? I thought we had a few military bases there but that was it and from what I hear, the Philippine government kicked us out because there was too much prostitution and drunkeness around the military bases.

The Philippines was ruled by Spain until 1898, when it was lost to the US. It was governed as a US territory until 1935, when it became a "self-governing commonwealth" of the US (similar to Puerto Rico). This lasted until 1942, when the P.I. was invaded by Japan, who ran it until 1944. The US 'regained' the Philippines in 1945, and it gained complete independence in July 1946.

The US had a long history with the Philippines, and English is a common language there. Lots of intermarriage with US troops, and HUGE numbers of Filipinos had secure employment on the two large bases on Luzon...Subic Bay (Navy) and Clark Air Base, (Air Force) inland.

These two large foreign bases became increasingly 'unacceptable' as reminders of 'colonialism' as the years went by. What REALLY did in the two bases was the eruption of Mount Pinatubo near Clark Field in 1991. It completely destroyed the place, and helped 'push' the US Military out. Subic Bay, I understand, is still operating under Filipino management.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:08 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The Philippines was ruled by Spain until 1898, when it was lost to the US. It was governed as a US territory until 1935, when it became a "self-governing commonwealth" of the US (similar to Puerto Rico). This lasted until 1942, when the P.I. was invaded by Japan, who ran it until 1944. The US 'regained' the Philippines in 1945, and it gained complete independence in July 1946.

The US had a long history with the Philippines, and English is a common language there. Lots of intermarriage with US troops, and HUGE numbers of Filipinos had secure employment on the two large bases on Luzon...Subic Bay (Navy) and Clark Air Base, (Air Force) inland.

These two large foreign bases became increasingly 'unacceptable' as reminders of 'colonialism' as the years went by. What REALLY did in the two bases was the eruption of Mount Pinatubo near Clark Field in 1991. It completely destroyed the place, and helped 'push' the US Military out. Subic Bay, I understand, is still operating under Filipino management.
Very interesting information. I learned something today. Thank you macmeal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration