Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times

Advertisements

Today, I would like to dedicate a thread to all of our veterans. If it was not for them, we would not be enjoying the freedom we sometime take for granted. I love my country (America). Thank you to all our veterans.

One topic that has been constant in the shadows is the issue of illegal immigrants serving in our wars. In the past, if an illegal immigrant served in a war, he or she would be granted automatic citizenship. I know veterans who were once illegal in the country and had served even in WWII.

Nowadays, it seems like they are not permitted to serve. However, they still have and I believe that the number has jumped and remain unrecognized. This link states that 37,000 soldiers are non-citizens and that was some years ago.

Soldier Becomes US Citizen

Happy Veteran's Day! I am a better person today for knowing them. I am a better American. I will continue to serve our American veterans in any way I can. God bless America!

Debate question: should these illegal immigrant soldiers who have served for our contry and in our wars be deported?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...-out-here.html

Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thanks Benicar for the reference but this thread is not just a "Thank you" note to our board forumers. This is also a debate question:

Should illegal immigrant soldiers serving in our country be deported?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 AM

716 posts, read 1,120,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Thanks Benicar for the reference but this thread is not just a "Thank you" note to our board forumers. This is also a debate question:

No, they shouldn't. I do remember Bush signing a law that gave soldiers an easier path to citizenship, though. I don't know if that applied to illegal immigrants, or if they can even enlist at all.

There was a soldier from Massachusetts who was missing in action in Iraq. Sadly, his body was found. His wife was an illegal immigrant, and there was a push to cut her some slack while he was MIA. I think it would have been horribly wrong to deport his wife while he was deployed.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
No, they shouldn't. I do remember Bush signing a law that gave soldiers an easier path to citizenship, though. I don't know if that applied to illegal immigrants.

There was a soldier from Massachusetts who was missing in action in Iraq. Sadly, his body was found. His wife was an illegal immigrant, and there was a push to cut her some slack while he was MIA. I think it would have been horribly wrong to deport his wife while he was deployed.
I didn’t realize the full extent of this thread, because I only see the title. In any case, we do not have illegal aliens serving in our military. We have non-citizen green card holders.
I don’t know the particulars of this case, but a law was recently passed granting instant green cards to the widow(er)s of U.S. citizens -- and they need not be serving in our military. Unfortunately, there are many illegals who marry for the expressed purpose of gaining citizenship. If the death of a spouse will provide them with the legalization they seek, I think this may unwittingly result in the “accidental” deaths of many citizens.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:04 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I didn’t realize the full extent of this thread, because I only see the title. In any case, we do not have illegal aliens serving in our military. We have non-citizen green card holders.
I don’t know the particulars of this case, but a law was recently passed granting instant citizenship to the widow(er)s of U.S. citizens -- and they need not be serving in our military. Unfortunately, there are many illegals who marry for the expressed purpose of gaining citizenship. If the death of a spouse will provide them with the legalization they seek, I think this may unwittingly result in the “accidental” deaths of many citizens.

Here's some info on that case. In this case, he was MIA for a while before being found deceased, so she could have been deported. If he had survived, I think he earned the right to have his wife here.

GI's illegal immigrant wife can stay in U.S. - Life- msnbc.com

Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Here's some info on that case. In this case, he was MIA for a while before being found deceased, so she could have been deported. If he had survived, I think he earned the right to have his wife here.

GI's illegal immigrant wife can stay in U.S. - Life- msnbc.com
Thanks for the link.

I believe green card holders fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan should be granted citizenship. However, I oppose legalizing illegal alien spouses of soldiers. I have become very cynical due to the prevalence of fraud. I have also read too many posts by illegal aliens on forums who have no problem marrying simply to gain citizenship.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
there was another case in LA where the wife of a PTSD suffering vet was found to be illegal (she was brought here at the age of 6). they had 2 small children.

she was the glue tht held the family toghether. the vet suffered from some serious pTSD issues.

after some legal wrangling, she was allowed to apply for a green card. keeping the family together. it would have been a burden on the soldier to care for his two children while trying to deal with his own psych problems.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=7084417

Last edited by the one; 11-11-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 01:22 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

Illegal aliens cannot lawfully serve in our military but I have heard of some recruiters who pulled some strings. These recruiters need to be jailed for breaking the law and the illegals deported.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:55 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Thanks, Zacatecana....from a Navy veteran. Back in 'my day', the US Navy included many Filipinos, who were able to gain US citizenship by enlisting for one 'hitch' (4 years). That was legal, but it was a 'special case'.

As to whether illegal immigrants in the military should be deported, that's a tough one. Probably I'd have to say "no"....but then, the military shouldn't enlist illegals. Those who serve honorably should be 'grandfathered in', but the burden should be on the military not to enlist illegals.

Fair enough question, though..and thanks again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration