Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Anti-American???, no one loves this country more than I do, this is the place where I prospered, I have a large amount of friends from all races, the only group of people that I don't respect in general are the recists/xenophobes like Lou Dobbs, they need to understand that they are a minority and they are no longer accepted by the mainstream......
I don't think Lou Dobbs is racist. He's married to a Hispanic woman. It doesn't make any sense for Lou Dobbs to hate Mexicans/Hispanic people but then he goes out and marries one. This would be like saying Obama is racist against black people and his wife is black. This doesn't make any sense.

You might not agree with Lou's stance on illegal immigrants but he's definitely not racist. Besides all the Hispanics here legally that also don't like illegal immigration, it also doesn't make sense for them to be racist against their own race.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,641 times
Lou Dobbs' wife:

SHOCKER: Lou Dobb's wife is Mexican-American (http://www.aztlan.net/dobbs_married_to_mexican.htm - broken link)

Old 11-14-2009, 02:53 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It's no surprise at all. Once the 'latino' activists, NCLR, Lulac, the ACLU and such luminaries as Luis Gutierrez and Ruben Navarette begin circling like a flock of vultures protected by Political Correctness, it is only a matter of time. This will be widely celebrated as a great victory by non-English speaking people with 7th grade educations everywhere.
Victory, yes! Here is a letter sent to those that made this possible.

Quote:
Congratulations!

Thank you for all your hard work. We couldn't do it without you.

Wednesday night was Lou Dobbs' last show on CNN. Dobbs' sudden departure is a powerful reminder of what we are capable of when we work together. For years, Dobbs used his prominent platform on CNN as a perch to spread intolerance, misinformation, and wild conspiracy theories. Thanks in no small part to your continued dedication and activism, Dobbs no longer has that platform.

Watch a video highlighting our efforts against Dobbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr5wUEe8m_E

In September, more than a dozen prominent Hispanic, progressive, and civil rights groups, launched DropDobbs.com, which placed new focus on Dobbs' ongoing hate speech and misinformation. The DropDobbs coalition, representing over 2 million people, includes Media Matters, NDN, the National Council of La Raza, LULAC, the National Hispanic Media Coalition, America's Voice Education Fund, The Hispanic Institute, the Southern Poverty Law Center, Netroots Nation, Voto Latino, Labor Council for Latin American Advancement, the Center for New Community, Reform Immigration for America, the National Puerto Rican Coalition, the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials and the Dolores Huerta Foundation.

Through this coalition, and with the power of the petition signed by tens of thousands of people like you behind us, we worked successfully behind the scenes to persuade major corporations to stop advertising on Lou Dobbs Tonight! CNN got the message.

Today, thanks to your efforts and the work of our partners at BastaDobbs.com and Democracia, Dobbs can no longer use CNN as a platform to pursue his dangerous, one-sided, and often conspiracy-tinged crusade against immigrants. Referring to the DropDobbs coalition, the Washington Post said that “[this] latest effort showed that the fragmented Latino movement could find allies and maintain a sustained campaign. Immigrant demonizers have an increasingly formidable opponent.” We couldn’t agree more.

Although our work is by no means over, as this powerfully demonstrates, when we work together, we can have a significant impact and create real change. This is a happy day for those who care about our nation of immigrants and believe in the power of media to elevate the political discourse.

Thank you for your help in holding the media accountable.
Si se puede indeed.
The bold part sounds to me like CNN was pressured by not only the thousands of signed petitions but also by a decrease in advertisements from major corporations. Bottom line...CNN was loosing money if they kept Lou Dobbs. It was not in their best interest.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
ROFL! What bullsh$t! This is a real diverse group allright.

League of United Latin American Citizens

National Council of La Raza

National Hispanic Media Coalition

The Hispanic Institute

Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials
Sometimes andreabeth, you cannot rely on a title. That does not tell you all people involved in a cause. You should know that. There are also Latinos that are actively pro-deportation of illegal immigrants.

Many people that helped me were not even Latino. They were African American, Caucasians, Asians, among others. During our lunch time, many of the state employees of California, at the Capitol, were out protesting against Lou Dobbs. Many were Caucasian.

Does Simon Rosenberg, president of National Democratic Network look Latino?

YouTube - 'Time to Get Lou Dobbs Off CNN,' Says NDN President

How about Laura Flanders?

YouTube - GRITtv: Roberto Lovato on the Basta Dobbs Campaign

Last edited by zacatecana; 11-14-2009 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-14-2009, 04:04 AM

247 posts, read 380,066 times
I'm Black, White, Mexican and Chinese -- so I'm exposed to a lot more "attitude" from people with regard to the illegal situation. My Father was from Mexico but he was of mixed parentage (Chinese Father and Mexican Mother). He came to the US legally during WWI and joined the AF and fought for this country.

I don't like illegal immigration regardless of what ethnic background a person may be. If you enter this country illegally you are breaking the law. If you are breaking the law, you are therefore a criminal.

Other countries don't let people enter illegally. They arrest them, and deport them back to their home country.

Tell me, how popular would it be for a group of Americans to sneak across the border into Mexico or El Salvador and then create organizations in those countries to help other Americans come there illegally? Do you think those Illegal American Organizations would be allowed to exist in those countries? Hell no they wouldn't.

I don't understand why the US is just expected to swallow this BS! Because that's what it is. It's BS.

This is OUR country. We have a Constitution and Bill of Rights for American citizens and we have laws that we abide by. If someone sneaking over the border thinks they have any *right* to tell US what we're allowed to do with THEM -- those illegals had better think twice. They're not welcome here. Period.

Really. I mean that takes some nerve. Sneak into a country. Get free crap from the taxpayers that have worked and paid money into the tax system to support services for Americans and then expect that they're going to dictate to this country what we should and should not do with regard to illegal immigration. Really -- I have to ask, what is that group collectively smoking? They must be *on* something to think that's going to play out in reality.

Plenty of Americans are sick of it and are going to make changes by exercising their votes for candidates that support legal immigration and border patrol.

It's sad to see Dobbs go because he wasn't afraid to speak the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Most Republicans and conservatives support outsourcing and open markets because they feel it enhances trades and keeps costs down.
No they don't. That would be the democrats that support outsourcing. Republicans and conservatives are against outsourcing of American jobs because of the impact it has here at home.

I'm an Independent and am extremely conservative. My voting history leans mostly Republican but I also vote for a fair share of Democrats if they're not too liberal.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:11 AM

No disrespect Eddie Ho but how is this related to Lou Dobbs?

Old 11-14-2009, 04:19 AM

I was responding to the other line of comments. Read the posts prior to mine, I simply commented to the current flow of conversation.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
I was responding to the other line of comments. Read the posts prior to mine, I simply commented to the current flow of conversation.
I see...

Well, some Latinos or Hispanics are divided and that is just the way it is. There are many Caucasian Americans who also support legalization. Its not a black and white issue. Anyway, I respect your position. What I dont respect is Lou Dobbs spreading lies and degrading Hispanics to fit his agenda. That is what the thread is about.

I'm glad he is gone, at least for now.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:43 AM

Dobbs wasn't degrading anyone nor was he spreading any lies. He simply was brave enough or foolish enough to speak the truth. The truth is there are too many illegal persons that come here from many countries. Those people get a free ride at the expense of taxpayers and it isn't right. It really pisses me off.

Dobbs pointed out the legal loop holes in the system that are being exploited by illegals. If that truth hurts you, or makes you feel degraded, you need to get a thicker skin. No disrespect intended.

I just don't understand why people that enter this country illegally think they have the same rights as citizens do. They don't. They're here illegally, they are not citizens, they're not entitled to any rights under the Constitution nor the Bill of Rights. They have no more legal standing or entitlement here than would an American that snuck into any other country illegally.

I don't buy the fact that there are LEGAL Americans that support illegal status. The govt. needs to put limits on legal immigration.

Really ... where are we supposed to put everyone? We cannot house, feed, and provide for every single stumblebum that comes here. That's just ridiculous and if you understand economics at all, you'd also know it's not financially feasible.

Dobbs talked about things that other reporters were scared to speak about in public. Like it or not, that is the truth. No lies. No hatred. Nothing degrading about the truth.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You must remember that the anti-Hispanic/Latino crowd don't consider Hispanic/Latino Americans as U.S citizens.
I agree. Luckly, most Americans dont agree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration