Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Again AZ, lets comment and debate on the article. We already know you prefer deportation. That's off topic.
Does it matter? I refuse to coddle criminals.

If we were dealing with the Bernie Madoffs of the world----------I would feel exactly that same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
These whiny, liberals just don't seem to get that the laws of our country are being upheld. It is sad when half of the working citizens in our country can barely afford to take care of their own families while their tax money is being taken and thrown at I-L-L-E-G-A-L-S!!!!!! (And I'm not refering to the lazy, unemployment-abusing, "I got me food stamps for life", idiot who can't figure out why they don't have any money, but the actual members of the working class and even some of the middle class who are just treading water).

I'm not a die-hard conservative at all, I have both liberal and conservative values. But, how can anybody not agree that we're just watching others trying to drag this country straight down the toilet? I watched my family come from nothing, work way too hard and eventually make it. It can be done and I'm truly sorry that the countries our illegal immigrants are coming from are so bad. Of course most people just want a better life for themselves and their family. I do not see anything wrong with immigration/emigration as long as it is done legally. When it is allowed to run rampant and burdening our society, then something is wrong with that picture. One day, some of them might actually try to stay in their country and work to change it before jumping ship. History has shown it can happen. (Of course, many people do try to make a difference in their own countries, but it can't happen alone).
As you stated.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,081 times
Quote:
For those of you that keep saying that illegal immigrants cost more on government services than they actually put into our economy, here is an informative article from the HARVARD Latino Law Review.

This article will also answer many questions regarding tax questions.

The Taxation of Undocumented Immigrants: Separate, Unequal, and Without Representation (http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/llr/vol9/lipman.php#Heading169 - broken link)

this subject tears me apart because I know so many of them.but wether they pay taxes or not they are being represented they use federal,state,and local services such as schools,post office,roads and many others. what does without represntation mean to you? is it all the freebies govrnment is handing out to its citizens. I dont believe even U.S.A. citizens are entitle to freebies.its not what this country is about!! or maybe an illegal congressman or rep.to represent us.this we may be able to do use the gay n lasbian plan.there are 10 million undocumented immigrants encuorage them to move to one city, maybe close to sanfrensico.ten million votes, we should be able to ellect both an undocumented congressman and rep.then will have our very own lunitics representing us

Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 AM

163 posts, read 240,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am always baffled by reports heralding the tax contributions of illegal aliens. First, if we don’t know who they are or where they are, how do we know for a “fact†that they are indeed paying taxes? Is there a separate “secret†tax code designated for illegal aliens? When they pay taxes using a stolen or fake SSN, the IRS doesn’t know that these are taxes paid by illegal aliens, so how "exactly" are the tax payments of illegal aliens enumerated?

Second, if they ARE paying taxes, whose SSN are they using, and what nightmares have they created for the “real†owners of the SSN? Do we know how many citizens are stuck with tax bills and the ensuing problems with the IRS because millions of dollars in wages are being reported under their SSNs by illegals? Do we know how many citizens are being denied unemployment benefits because the records indicate they are working, when in reality, illegals are working by using their SSN? Do we know how many children have gone hungry because their parents are denied government assistance because the records indicate someone is already receiving benefits under their SSN? Do we know how many citizens are being denied necessary medical care because an illegal is using their SSN to receive thousands of dollars in medical treatment?

Finally, why should foreigners who have violated our laws by living in this country illegally, working in this country illegally, stealing SSNs, forging documents, lowering wages, displacing workers, bankrupting hospitals, overcrowding schools, have the temerity to believe they should be entitled to ANYTHING but prosecution and deportation? What gives them the right to expect representation in a country in which they have no legal presence?

Whatever taxes they may or may not pay are but a pittance compared to the astronomical costs associated with ER visits, organ transplants, dialysis, welfare, WIC, prenatal/postnatal care, K-12 education – including ESL classes, and free breakfast/lunch, and myriad other tax-funded benefits and services.

Unfortunately, we are prohibited from inquiring about the immigration status of students attending our public schools, and patients seeking treatment at our hospitals. Therefore, the true magnitude of this massive illegal intrusion cannot be accurately ascertained. We can only rely on estimates, and those estimates are staggering. As taxpaying citizens, we should have the right to know the exact costs associated with illegal immigration. If you want to discuss taxation without representation, let’s discuss these issues and our government’s refusal to divulge those costs to the people who are footing the bill.
Beautifully stated...as always. Direct and to the point yet there are those that will STILL argue the so-called "benefits" of the illegal alien invasion.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
When an illegal immigrant does not file taxes, whatever amount had been deducted throught the year, is left unclaimed tax revenue that is used by our government.

I dont understand what you mean on the bold. If they are citizens, how are they not represented?
It is against the law to not file an income tax return. Oh well, just another law broken by illegals to add to the list. Then they whine they don't get a refund? You have to file to get a refund, duh.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
When an illegal immigrant does not file taxes, whatever amount had been deducted throught the year, is left unclaimed tax revenue that is used by our government.

I dont understand what you mean on the bold. If they are citizens, how are they not represented?
Who is to say any income was withheld. If they are not filing there is a good chance they are not on the payroll and/or have a withholding of zero.

As to the part in bold. They are not represented because they live in DC, they pay federal taxes, and are citizens, but do not have the benefit of senators or a voting representative so they are in fact not represented.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Who is to say any income was withheld. If they are not filing there is a good chance they are not on the payroll and/or have a withholding of zero.

As to the part in bold. They are not represented because they live in DC, they pay federal taxes, and are citizens, but do not have the benefit of senators or a voting representative so they are in fact not represented.
Exactly -- and why would a law-breaking criminal employer who is looking for nothing but the cheapest possible labor and is willing to break any kind of law to get it actually send any money withheld in?

Who would know they didn't? The illegal with the stolen social security number isn't going to receive those statements from the Social Seurity office showing what they've paid in, the illegal isn't going to report that the money withheld isn't reported or paid.

Illegal immigration really is about a free-for-all with all sorts of laws. A whole lot of illegals work as "independent contractors" and so of course never pay a dime of taxes except for sales taxes - and even then there are ways out of that.

When it comes to stolen social security numbers it's a major free-for-all. There is no proof at all that the money is withheld or that if it is that it makes it to the tax office. It can just as easily go right into the employers' pockets.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When it comes to stolen social security numbers it's a major free-for-all. There is no proof at all that the money is withheld or that if it is that it makes it to the tax office. It can just as easily go right into the employers' pockets.
Either, that or an illegal immigrant can claim on that improper filing (since they are not legal to work) a withholding of zero and milk..er..mark their anchor babies as dependents for tax credits so that they may not actually have to pay any taxes whatsoever. On top of that this kind of official seeming statement of income can be used to get all sorts of goodies...like food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration