Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is still an estimated 1500 people sneaking in per day. How is that a secure border? The route they need to be taking is to seriously crack down on illegal businesses using illegal labor. On the other hand step up work force raids along with random sweeps like what Escondido has done. Road blocks that check licenses, make it extremely uncomfortable.

Once they cannot get a job and have a fear of being deported they will leave just like they did under Ike's watch.

All they will accomplish with this current "plan" is to deplete even more of our social service safety net and draw that many million more here illegally.
I don't disagree with you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't disagree with you there.
It's exactly what happened after 86.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 PM

yes but in 86 they didn't have anti-fraud measures in place for ID or the means of keeping electronic databases available to make a detailed identification check in a matter of seconds. That kind of thing can be done now and if used correctly is actually quite effective.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
You're right, all members of the US government have ZERO interest in addressing or correcting the the faulty immigration system and policies we have in place.

Trust me, if it was such a simple black and white issue with a simple cost-effective solution that would be beneficial and fair to all parties than this issue would have been corrected a long long time ago. People need to realize that it's a complex and sensitive issue with alot of people's lives at stake. I understand the whole you don't have a right to be here chant bla bla bla, but we all know that the government can't just turn it's back on a massive group of people like that and expect that'll just file out back to their nation of orgin in an orderly manner. Most solutions people have thought up would be ridiculously costly and none of them would be very effective, realistically speaking. This plan they are talking about right now, at least to me, makes alot of sense if properly and effectively implemented and enforced.
I think we all realize the urgency of resolving this issue. We certainly can’t expect to have a secure nation as long as anyone with the will and means can enter this country unimpeded. As it is, we have millions of foreigners living here, and we have no idea who they are, or their motives. However, any form of amnesty is not a viable solution.

It’s not as though we don’t already have more than enough evidence to prove that amnesty does not work. Amnesty simply begets another amnesty. As long as foreigners believe they can come to this country and live illegally, and ultimately gain legalization, there will never be an incentive NOT to come. If anything, granting another amnesty will send the message to the world that anyone can live here illegally, and in due time, all will be forgiven.

I have no issue with having a stringently monitored guest worker program, IF we need more workers, and as long as the guest workers’ US-born children do not receive citizenship. Why should they? We certainly don’t grant citizenship to the children of diplomats born here. If illegals are truly here only to work, then let us decide how many we need. When their services are no longer needed, they can return home. Moreover, most illegals aren’t interested in a path to citizenship; they simply want to be free to remain in this country without the fear of deportation.

In any case, granting amnesty to 20+ million illegal aliens while we have a tanking economy, and an estimated 30 million citizens either unemployed or underemployed, will be a VERY hard sell to the citizens of this country. It simply can’t be justified.

We need to stop playing games, and come down hard on all employers of illegal aliens. If they knew they would spend a minimum of 10 years in federal prison, pay multi-billion dollar fines, and have their ill-gotten assets seized, illegal employment would cease overnight. Unfortunately, cheap labor fuels the greed of globalists; and sadly, they control this country.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
yes but in 86 they didn't have anti-fraud measures in place for ID or the means of keeping electronic databases available to make a detailed identification check in a matter of seconds. That kind of thing can be done now and if used correctly is actually quite effective.
All of the technology in the world makes no difference if our government refuses to enforce our laws. It’s not that they can’t; they won’t.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
All of the technology in the world makes no difference if our government refuses to enforce our laws. It’s not that they can’t; they won’t.
I'm equally frustrated that the federal government has been so slow to recognize the effectiveness of practices such as E-verify and other electronic identification checks (checking the 4 points of identification for new hires)...very cost efficient, not overly difficult to enforce, and proven to be very effective. Roll that out to all states and territories ASAP is what I say.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I'm equally frustrated that the federal government has been so slow to recognize the effectiveness of practices such as E-verify and other electronic identification checks (checking the 4 points of identification for new hires)...very cost efficient, not overly difficult to enforce, and proven to be very effective. Roll that out to all states and territories ASAP is what I say.
How true. Yet, every chance they get, they defeat attempts to mandate E-Verify. La Raza, the ACLU, Chamber of Commerce, and numerous other pro-illegal groups continue to fight this tooth and nail. Isn’t obvious why they don’t want it.

Activists from both sides need to join forces and fight these organizations, as well as demand our government protect the citizens of this country by securing our borders. If we would stop fighting each other and fight the “real” enemies, we could make a difference. Sadly, that won’t happen. Divided we fall.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM

I haven't read into this a whole lot but I'd be fascinated to hear what the argument is against using E-Verify and similar ID checks for newly hired employees. I just don't see the downside of it and don't see that is violates anything in the constitution, any human rights, etc. I mean do those organizations really have that much effect in the momentum of immigration legislation when it comes down to it?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I haven't read into this a whole lot but I'd be fascinated to hear what the argument is against using E-Verify and similar ID checks for newly hired employees. I just don't see the downside of it and don't see that is violates anything in the constitution, any human rights, etc. I mean do those organizations really have that much effect in the momentum of immigration legislation when it comes down to it?
All of these organizations have very deep pockets and high-powered lobbyists doing their dirty work. Greed has become the flavor of the decade, and they will do anything to ensure a steady flow of cheap illegal labor.

These organizations realize E-Verify is very effective, which is why they vehemently oppose it. Make no mistake, they are very powerful. La Raza and the Chamber of Commerce are even involved in the drafting of CIR.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:28 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Well of course the greedy employers don't want it. That would mean they couldn't hire illegals anymore and our government wants to please their corporate masters. Add to that the pro-illegal groups claiming it isn't accurate enough even though it is around 98-99% accurate and there you have your answer why we don't have e-verify mandated across the board. Yes, those organizations/employers do have that much power unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration