Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM

309 posts, read 427,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
So wait, why does that bother you? I guess I didn't realize we were required to speak English in public, was that law passed at the same time they passed the laws that said we can't smoke in public or when we could no longer urinate in public? How does the use of other languages in public personally affect you? Would you prefer everybody to walk in a single file line down sidewalks in army fatigues and be required to say the same programmed English message to every person who passes by? Are you one of those people who opens and closes your door knob an even number of times and can't step on cracks in the sidewalk?
Your comment is insulting. This is America and we grew up in this country speaking English. At one time speaking in anything other than English around others that spoke only English was considered extremely rude; it was akin to whispering in front of someone. The fact you even have the nerve to comment as you did just shows the coarsening of our culture in the United States of America. I suppose if you have the nerve to say what you did, I should not be afraid to express how I feel. And no, there was no law passed. It is common courtesy, or at least it used to be. Why would we need to have a law passed for every little thing? You sound like be a politician.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
Your comment is insulting. This is America and we grew up in this country speaking English. At one time speaking in anything other than English around others that spoke only English was considered extremely rude; it was akin to whispering in front of someone. The fact you even have the nerve to comment as you did just shows the coarsening of our culture in the United States of America. I suppose if you have the nerve to say what you did, I should not be afraid to express how I feel. And no, there was no law passed. It is common courtesy, or at least it used to be. Why would we need to have a law passed for every little thing? You sound like be a politician.
actually, he's kind of right and more realistic. an immigrant changes a country as much as they assimilate.

with america, it's assumed that it's already been formed and is static but it's constantly evolving and changing. it's very strange to think that new immigrants won't change a country in subtle or overt ways.

america is less than four hundred years old while other countries past or cultures can be not only over a thousand but thousands AND even they have incorporated recent western culture and even speak english. hello??

why is america so pigheaded?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
I was going to respond to that person but you did it so well there is no need for me to. As you know, I never said there was a law against speaking another language in this country but as you said it is just plain rude not to speak English if you know how to. I don't care what language someone chooses to speak at home. Where I live I am surrounded by Spanish speakers. I don't know their status in this country but when that is all one hears out in public in this English speaking nation it does become irritating. One feels like they are living in Mexico rather than the U.S. As you said, it is about common courtesy and respect for the language of our nation. It is a non-assimilation factor to me.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
actually, he's kind of right and more realistic. an immigrant changes a country as much as they assimilate.

with america, it's assumed that it's already been formed and is static but it's constantly evolving and changing. it's very strange to think that new immigrants won't change a country in subtle or overt ways.

america is less than four hundred years old while other countries past or cultures can be not only over a thousand but thousands AND even they have incorporated recent western culture and even speak english. hello??

"Subtle ways"? It goes way beyond subtle. It is in your face! We are supposed to be a melting pot of assimilation not a salad bowl. So Americans are being pigheaded to try and retain their culture and language and expect others to assimilate to us?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
How is it rude, because then you can't eavesdrop on them? I just don't get why you'd care what other people choose to speak amongst themselves in public, regardless if they are visiting from another country, live there, are there on business, etc. The fact that you make such a big deal out of it just goes to show what a control freak you are, thinking that everybody has to conform to whatever appeases to you. Sorry dude, but someday you're going to have to realize that you aren't the center of the universe, life does not stop and start at your convenience, etc.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 17,991 times
Default The Ghetto Won't Die and neither will the Barrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I think you made a good point with your last sentence. New technology such as phones, email, etc. make it easier to stay in contact with family and friends back home whereas in the past, it was only the pony express and a boat...months later you have a letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

Even for those that are indigenous and cannot write their language because it is a "spoken language", I have seen them communicate via the computer and cam. That is not to say that they will not assimilate into the American culture because I know many that do. It just takes time.

Despite the ghetto attitude attitude of way too may American Blacks (which is starting to die out); anymore, I see them as fellow 'Anglos' under seige by the illegal alien hordes.

First to respond to Zacatecanas comments. The Mexican immigrant especially creates a whole other issue to the idea of culture. If I live in the Mexican Cession states where except for Utah, Colorado, and Nevada there were outposts of Spanish/Mexican culture all along and being within horseback or today automobile distance of Mexico the separation is not very drastic.

Now this includes the whole nation because of the internet and prepaid phone cards. Other Latinos benefit from the short jet travel times within this hemisphere.

We also must address two issues. One is WHAT EXACTLY IS AMERICAN CULTURE? In the 1950s this was understood to mean the White Anglo-Saxon Culture that had dominated the USA since 1620 at Plymouth Rock.

Since the 1960s when this definition was replaced with multiculturalism no one new definition has emerged. I like to call it tribalism or groupism as today everyone is herded into some sort of group or clique with the only things in common being consumerism and the English Language. WHAT ACTUALLY IS AN AMERICAN TODAY?

I think American identity is passe myself because we now live in a global world and we will soon all be citizens of a world government so whats the point in holding onto past ideas? When you can talk in real time to a person in China over the internet are we really that separate anymore?

ArizonaBear I do not know about where you are in the west but here in the Midwest as a rapper once said, "The Ghetto Won't Change." Negative Hip-Hop culture was identified as a money-maker in the late 1980s and has become a self fufilling prophecy. Around 70% of black kids are born outside of marriage, almost 50% in the Latino Community and nobody dares talk about this 30% of White Anglo babies are born without dads.

The Ghetto Culture will never die out in fact it's poisonous attributes are now copied by everyone white kids included. Hispanic kids as I showed before were often forced into accepting the lifestyle to survive because living in an African descent neighborhood it is fight or die.

This is the same in the USA as it is in Brazil. Just watch CITY OF GOD and see what I am talking about. Those black boys in the Rio ghettoes make the Crips and Bloods look like toddlers in the sandbox.

Whether you are in Latin America, Europe, or Africa there today is one African identity. That is the American black thug identity. Of course we all know in America that identity is a stereotype BUT it is also a multi billion dollar marketing global industry. All the non-African kids eat it up as well.

This is the future. A future of complete cultural degregation and disintigration. People will blame the illegal immigrants when in fact illegals are coming into a country in complete decline already. The real culprits in our decline are Madison Avenue and our Entertainment Industry.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"Subtle ways"? It goes way beyond subtle. It is in your face! We are supposed to be a melting pot of assimilation not a salad bowl. So Americans are being pigheaded to try and retain their culture and language and expect others to assimilate to us?
but do you realize how silly you sound? america is full of different elements just as other countries are doing. the 'culture' is from many places outside of america too and it's not all european.

for instance, do you think japanese had mcdonalds, italian, german bratwurst etc before? now it's common. america is constantly evolving but you seem to think it's supposed to stay at some artificial point in time.

as far as language, the issue of spanish as a second language is a separate issue in itself and the people have to decide if that's something that they want or not.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:

Are we discussing legal immigrants or illegal alien losers here?

The former I have no issue with and they tend to want to assimilate and become American.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
How is it rude, because then you can't eavesdrop on them? I just don't get why you'd care what other people choose to speak amongst themselves in public, regardless if they are visiting from another country, live there, are there on business, etc. The fact that you make such a big deal out of it just goes to show what a control freak you are, thinking that everybody has to conform to whatever appeases to you. Sorry dude, but someday you're going to have to realize that you aren't the center of the universe, life does not stop and start at your convenience, etc.
Can't you read? I said it is all around me. One can't help but hearing it. That is why I said "it is in your face". Why would I eavesdrop when I don't even know what they are saying?

You're entitled to your opinion but you can bet your bottom dollar that if millions of Chinese decided to migrate to Mexico speaking their languages constantly out in public the Mexicans would have the same complaint. It is about not feeling at home in your own country anymore. It has nothing to do with control. It is about non-assimilation. If you think I am the only American that feels that way then you have another think coming. I don't look at myself as being special. I just want to feel at home in my own damned country and that is literally impossible when you hear more Spanish being spoken than English.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
but do you realize how silly you sound? america is full of different elements just as other countries are doing. the 'culture' is from many places outside of america too and it's not all european.

for instance, do you think japanese had mcdonalds, italian, german bratwurst etc before? now it's common. america is constantly evolving but you seem to think it's supposed to stay at some artificial point in time.

as far as language, the issue of spanish as a second language is a separate issue in itself and the people have to decide if that's something that they want or not.
What's silly about it? We still have a basic culture and our language is still English. Why is it silly to expect immigrants or even citizens to speak the language of our country out in public? Restaurants has nothing to do with it. We haven't "evolved" away from our basic culture though I guess you would like that to happen from the gist of your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration