Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,111 times

Advertisements

As you stated, the implication that anti-illegal = racist/xenophobe/nativist/hater, is utter <<nonsense.>>

Well, the 'racist' card has worn thin, so as you say, they have to reach into their bag of tricks for a new label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Some people like cheap slaves. Never mind that they are breaking the law. 10 cents an hour to paint your house ?? What a deal ! American consumerism knows no limit. Hypocrites. Greedheads.
Lawbreakers ? No problem. Bet I can talk them down to 5 cents an hour if I offer free booze. : (
Free booze? I got next weekend free Have brush wiil travel.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:33 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,111 times
<<Americans (of any ancestry) could very well be the next group of 'Indians' with Mexicans being the next group of 'settlers'.>>

One difference----The Native Americans weren't expected to provide jobs and/or social services for the settlers.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Americans (of any ancestry) could very well be the next group of 'Indians' with Mexicans being the next group of 'settlers'.>>

One difference----The Native Americans weren't expected to provide jobs and/or social services for the settlers.
True; just that the previous indigenous people here (American Indians) were indeed subjugated by the Euros (both Hispanic and Anglo). Before that; stronger tribes beat up weaker ones.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,835,475 times
HATE is such a strong word.

With that said, I do not hate illegals. I do disapprove of illegal immigration, though for two reasons: One, because of the way hurts American citizens, that by birth, have earned the right to be here. Second, because I'm a firm believer in the fact that if it's illegal, you're not supposed to do it. You should abide by a nation's laws. I'm not saying I'm perfect and that I've never broken the law, but I don't make excuses either.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

if it's illegal, you're not supposed to do it. .
A seldom-mentioned truth. And if you go ahead and do it anyway, then you should at least keep quiet about it. And if you get caught, you shouldn't 'gripe' about it, since you KNEW it was illegal, yet went ahead and did it anyway.

Lastly, if it's illegal, and you're not supposed to DO IT, then it stands to reason that the rest of us shouldn't be standing around DEBATING about it, either. What's to debate about?

I agree; "Hate" is a strong word; however I see nothing wrong with "disgust", or "frustration", or "weariness". There are a lot of words which could be applied to the illegal situation, short of "hate".

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The problem I have is the people who are opposed to illegal immigration tend to also be racist, xenophobic, milita members and other hate group enthusiasts.
Wrong! Practically everyone I know opposes illegal immigration and only a small percentage of them have been racist or related to any of the hate "tags" you listed.

As much as I resent illegal invasion, I tend to blame our government. But it takes a lot of effort to NOT resent the illegals whenever I read police bloggers and see mug shots in the paper or on TV that show the high volume of illegals that fill our jails and prisons. And we don't need to delve further again into how they have burdened our healthcare system.

I've had these concerns since the early-to-mid-80's when nobody else seemed to. And in all that time I've watched one Leader give amnesty without securing borders, and no politician, Leader, or law-maker has avoided the issues altogether. This is not a new millenium problem, by any means.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i dont like criminals flooding into the country. the days of jose and maria coming here for a better life are over. no more si si senor now its gimme your wallet.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post

Didn't the Indians give the pilgrims food and teach them how to plant corn? In fact I think grade school teachers all over America are telling their students these very stories this week before Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Didn't the Indians give the pilgrims food and teach them how to plant corn? In fact I think grade school teachers all over America are telling their students these very stories this week before Thanksgiving.

The Indians also periodically murdered and enslaved white settlers......are you sure you want to go down that road of equivalency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration