Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Actually, I think most members of National Council of La Raza, MALDEF, LULAC, and MEChA know that they themselves are racist.

Wouldn't the majority race in any country feel this very same way? What if, over the next 10 years, millions of Asian illegal immigrants poured into Mexico each year. Don't you think that the Mexican people would start voicing their complaints about this being a threat to their culture and existance? And if they did complain, I guess we could say that this means the Mexican people are racists.

By the way, a large percentage of Hispanic-Americans are opposed to illegal aliens being in the United States. So, do you consider these Hispanic-Americans to be racists?
Right on! Don't hold your breath for any sensible answers from him/her though. Those who hold that view have a double standard for our country and it's immigration policies which makes them hypocrites to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Can't you hate illegal immigration without hating illegals??

Of course.

Why would I hate other human beings simply because they are trying to make some money? Were I residing in some corrupt, poverty-stricken nation, I probably would give it try myself. I certainly understand the rationale behind working under the table in America versus dealing with poverty in Mexico. Illegals are, if anything, behaving very rationally.

But laws, regulations, borders, statutes- those are stern masters. Dispensing with them does not come without consequences. Importing poverty does not come without consequences.

I can think of 3, maybe 5 countries where I would love to reside, at least for a few years. But...those stern masters- laws, regulations, borders, statutes- generally make that so difficult at to be energy sapping. Yet I do not invite one iota of sympathy.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sick of this issue being so black and white. To me this isn't a Republican vs Democratic or Liberal vs Conservative issue. To me, this is a common sense issue that people of all backgrounds can accept. And that is hate immigration but not the immigrants.

The problem I have is the people who are opposed to illegal immigration tend to also be racist, xenophobic, milita members and other hate group enthusiasts. Like these members, I'm also strictly opposed to illegal immigration. I share Lou Dobb's views but I'm also embarrassed to be associated with these groups because unlike them, I don't hate illegal immigrants or Mexicans. I understand their plight and if I was in their situation, I would do the same thing. However, I'm not in their situation and I'm an American citizen and it's our responsibility to protect our borders. I also don't agree with the sentimental attitudes toward illegal immigration and the soft stances on it.

I wonder what happened to people who can understand treating people with respect, compassion and decency? Just because you oppose illegal immigrations, it doesn't mean you lose those values. That's why I feel these anti-illegal stances goes beyond immigration and speaking English. Because a person who was simply just opposed to that would agree with what I'm saying and wouldn't harbor such resentment toward illegals.
What he's trying to say is, they came here for "a better life" and were provoked, invited or lured into the endless violations they have and continouslly commit.
So he feels that their ignorance shouldn't be held against them.
I say BS!

Ignorance of the Law is no excuse!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I laugh at the notion of "cheap slaves" What's funny is 15 years ago, you could pay a kid down the street to mow your lawn and trim your hedges for $20 to $30. When an illegal is charging 50-70 to do the same job, I don't see that as being cheap. I just think U.S. labor has gotten ridiculously expensive. If you call a guy in the yellow pages to do your lawn, he will charge an initial clean up fee of $250 and $100 a week maintenance. No wonder people are hiring illegals. And guess what that legal U.S. company is doing...that's right outsourcing illegals. You are paying a middle man. I used to be able to find a handy man to do odd jobs for reasonable rates. Now, handy men are charging outrageous fees. I asked a handy man who remove the fence around my pool. He assumed I was just talking about the gate or door to the fence and removed that. He did that in less than 10 minutes and wanted $75! I'm serious!

And it applies to anything. Call Merry Maids or a house cleaning service and they will charge 150-250 dollars to clean your house when 20 years ago, you could hire a U.S. citizen who would clean your house for $50. There is a lot of greed. Maybe if everyone didn't feel they had to buy I-phones, and houses that are 10 times their income and compete with the Jones' to charge outrageous prices, we wouldn't be hiring illegals.

Here is another example. I was trying to find people to put up Christmas lights on our house. There are not a lot of companies or even local boys that do it. The cheapest company I found charged $500 to put them up and you don't get to keep the lights. There were other companies that demanded a minimum of $800. Guess what, I found an illegal immigrant who did the same job for $150 and I paid him $200. How is it that not one U.S. company would charge $200 to put up Christmas lights? I wanted to hire a U.S. company. I called several companies and got estimates. I don't think $200 is cheap by any means. And before I get some smart!$#$ asking why I didn't put them up, l'm not at home long enough to put them up because I'm always at work.

Yes, I will admit this is hypocritical on my part. I sold out and hired the illegal to put up my Christmas lights but I promise you that I'm not alone. There are a lot of people like myself who want to hire U.S. labor for reasonable rates but what we find is there is a lot of greed among U.S. companies. And I paid $200 which isn't a lowball fee by any means for the labor to put up Christmas lights which amounts to about $40 an hour. I want to pay a fair wage but $500 to put up Christmas lights is not a fair wage. That is highway robbery
Well, what a shame. That's the cost for those who are too damn lazy to do their own work.
I was raised on a Dairy Farm and I've never had to call lawn services, maintenace men, house maid's or any service. I do it all myself, and that includes auto repair. If I don't know how to do it...I learn!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 PM

335 posts, read 328,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Can't you hate illegal immigration without hating illegals??

Of course.

Why would I hate other human beings simply because they are trying to make some money? Were I residing in some corrupt, poverty-stricken nation, I probably would give it try myself. I certainly understand the rationale behind working under the table in America versus dealing with poverty in Mexico. Illegals are, if anything, behaving very rationally.
So, do you hate American lawbreakers who are trying to make some money by violating our laws?

If these illegal aliens would stay in their home countries and fight for change, they wouldn't have to live in corrupt, poverty-stricken nations any more.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
So, do you hate American lawbreakers who are trying to make some money by violating our laws?

Exactly..and while we're at it, lets break out the violin for the Coyotes and violent drug cartels...after all they're only trying to make some money to feed their families.

And how about those child sex traffickers, can we pencil in a day to throw a pity party for them?..after all, they are only trying to feed their poor little families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration