Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, I have. I volunteer for the school system. Here's an example and it's perfect timing.

We have 3 bus loads of kids that get brought in from near the border to our school. We just recently had a fund raiser. Today was the day the fund raiser boxes were due. Out of the 3 bus loads of kids guess how many brought their boxes in today? 2 kids, out of 3 bus loads of mostly ESL students from near the border. Most of the kids that get dropped off had boxes, almost all.

It doesn't cost ANYTHING to do the fund raiser except some time and effort. You tell me, is this a "poor" thing or something deeper? Most of these kids are ESL kids whose Parents are here Illegally.
I'm not saying this is the most positive of news but it seems to me that participation in this fundraiser was optional? You have to be a little bit understanding to their situation that if their English isn't very strong they are probably scared to death to go door to door trying to persuade neighbors to contribute money or what have you. It's safe to assume their participation in something like this would be minimal considering the language barrier. For all we know they didn't fully understand what the boxes were for in the first place. If they were explained this in English and their English is very weak that is probably a strong possibility. Just because their nodding yes doesn't mean they understand, sometimes people are embarrassed to tell people they don't understand.

Quote:
They don't show at Parent/Teacher meetings and when asked why not the kids say their Parents "can't drive".
That's probably for the most part true. Most undocumented immigrants I know from Mexico who don't drive it is because they actually don't know how to drive. You don't need to know how to drive to get by in most cities in Mexico, public transportation is very accessible and cheap and people can walk everywhere. As you know most Mexicans are too poor to buy a car which is another big reason why alot of them don't know how to drive.

Quote:
The times the kids get invited to parties the ones that don't speak English huddle in a corner of the room and talk between them since they don't speak English. What's going on here?
That only seems natural, they will talk with their friends and those who they are able to communicate with. It's a comfort thing. This is also something that goes both ways. Yes it'd be nice if they made a better effort to be social with everyone else but how much effort is everyone else making to interact with them? There is probably room for improvement on both sides of the equation.

Quote:
Ya, we can second guess this all day but it's pretty obvious that the Parents are here Illlegally and could give a rat butt about giving back to the community or school. They are here to take what is offered. It's so amazing that they can't be part of the school fund raiser or anything that requires involvement but they sure took the time to figure out they could send their kids to the school for free by bus. It's simply..................AMAZING.

This is assimilation? palllllllllllllleeeeeeze.
Yeah, you're likely right, the majority of them probably are here illegally. However, for the ones who are documented, how do you think they would feel if you accused them of being illegal, after they had worked so hard to go through the legal immigration process through the department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, etc.....probably pretty crappy. Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm not saying this is the most positive of news but it seems to me that participation in this fundraiser was optional? You have to be a little bit understanding to their situation that if their English isn't very strong they are probably scared to death to go door to door trying to persuade neighbors to contribute money or what have you. It's safe to assume their participation in something like this would be minimal considering the language barrier. For all we know they didn't fully understand what the boxes were for in the first place. If they were explained this in English and their English is very weak that is probably a strong possibility. Just because their nodding yes doesn't mean they understand, sometimes people are embarrassed to tell people they don't understand.

That's probably for the most part true. Most undocumented immigrants I know from Mexico who don't drive it is because they actually don't know how to drive. You don't need to know how to drive to get by in most cities in Mexico, public transportation is very accessible and cheap and people can walk everywhere. As you know most Mexicans are too poor to buy a car which is another big reason why alot of them don't know how to drive.

That only seems natural, they will talk with their friends and those who they are able to communicate with. It's a comfort thing. This is also something that goes both ways. Yes it'd be nice if they made a better effort to be social with everyone else but how much effort is everyone else making to interact with them? There is probably room for improvement on both sides of the equation.

Yeah, you're likely right, the majority of them probably are here illegally. However, for the ones who are documented, how do you think they would feel if you accused them of being illegal, after they had worked so hard to go through the legal immigration process through the department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, etc.....probably pretty crappy. Just something to think about.
Language barrier? You look at places where there are that many ESL students and they come from neighborhoods where no one at all speaks English, not speaking English isn't an excuse. ESL students have teachers that are fluent in Spanish teaching them so not understanding the teacher is also not an excuse.

Americans in their own country should not have to learn foreign languages to adapt and interact with foreigners who refuse to learn the language of this country. Should people of France all drop everything to learn English because some Americans want to move there and make no effort to learn French?

How hard is it to immigrate? Not at all hard if they have a relative living here who can sponsor them, and that's how the family chain immigration works, it requires no effort. Just have that relative and the whole extended family is in. Coming illegally is just as easy, just get over the border and the rest is gravy.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:

That sure is a boat load of excuses. They live in hoods where they share the same language. I don't buy it, I think they are here just to take what is free, school being one of them. Free meals at school another.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Language barrier? You look at places where there are that many ESL students and they come from neighborhoods where no one at all speaks English, not speaking English isn't an excuse. ESL students have teachers that are fluent in Spanish teaching them so not understanding the teacher is also not an excuse.

Americans in their own country should not have to learn foreign languages to adapt and interact with foreigners who refuse to learn the language of this country. Should people of France all drop everything to learn English because some Americans want to move there and make no effort to learn French?
I'm not in any way insinuating that it's a legitimate excuse, just saying that there is a strong possibility that the language barrier could have been the cause of the lack of participation in the fund-raiser.

Quote:
How hard is it to immigrate? Not at all hard if they have a relative living here who can sponsor them, and that's how the family chain immigration works, it requires no effort. Just have that relative and the whole extended family is in. Coming illegally is just as easy, just get over the border and the rest is gravy.
Whoa, have you been through the process? I have and it's long, strenuous, difficult and very expensive. There wouldn't be immigration lawyers everywhere if it was such an easy process as you describe it. For us the process took over a year and we have to renew it in about 9 months and go through more time-consuming applications, paperwork, appointments, etc. and lots more $$$ for that. Definitely not a walk in the park.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
That sure is a boat load of excuses. They live in hoods where they share the same language. I don't buy it, I think they are here just to take what is free, school being one of them. Free meals at school another.
I can't speak for those people, but I seriously doubt that's true. It's clear you're upset about this fundraiser thing, why don't you confront some of the parents in a respectful manner and explain your disappointment with their lack of participation and get their feedback, maybe there is something you can do to help them with the process. After all you are volunteering to help the school out, are you not? Just a suggestion.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
I'm not in any way insinuating that it's a legitimate excuse, just saying that there is a strong possibility that the language barrier could have been the cause of the lack of participation in the fund-raiser.

Whoa, have you been through the process? I have and it's long, strenuous, difficult and very expensive. There wouldn't be immigration lawyers everywhere if it was such an easy process as you describe it. For us the process took over a year and we have to renew it in about 9 months and go through more time-consuming applications, paperwork, appointments, etc. and lots more $$$ for that. Definitely not a walk in the park.
Whoa I have.... It is redundant. It is tedious at times. But expensive? I guess that is relative.
Less than $2000.00 in fact less than $1500.00.
Is the VISA not worth the effort?
I myself did not find it any more tedious than when I built my house, or applied for benefits for my disabled child.
So I am sorry if I do not accept that it is to difficult for applicants to do it legally.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times
Our immigration laws were made for a reason. In the LEGAL immigration process the reasons for them to assimulate into our culture are explained . The illegals miss out on this and THUS we have a multitude of problems. I am sick to my stomach hearing constantly about what people who are breaking our laws by even being here want and dont want. When I want to learn of problems the Mexicans and others have I will turn on a Mexican TV program or buy a Mexican newspaper.....give me a break...YOU ESSAY?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
What about this:

Would you fight against the CEO's that hire illegals if given the chance?

Seems like a much more winnable war to me...fight thousands instead of millions.

'to kill a snake you only need to cut off the head'

Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
wow san diego must really suck!!!

im more than a volunteer, im an involved parent in an LAUSD school.

my experience has been quite the opposite. parents (and i never suspected their citizenship until recently, altho i suppose a lot might be illegal) are very willing to raise funds for their kids.

aside from selling boxes of candy, we also raise money in other ways. snack sales. food sales. the parents are very very willing to offer any help they can. sure there are some disinterested parents, or parents too busy, but for the most part the parents are very involved. tho not always sanctioned, the parents sell tamales, raspados etc etc. anything they can.

i wonder what the difference is?

Quote:
Well, I have. I volunteer for the school system. Here's an example and it's perfect timing.

We have 3 bus loads of kids that get brought in from near the border to our school. We just recently had a fund raiser. Today was the day the fund raiser boxes were due. Out of the 3 bus loads of kids guess how many brought their boxes in today? 2 kids, out of 3 bus loads of mostly ESL students from near the border. Most of the kids that get dropped off had boxes, almost all.

It doesn't cost ANYTHING to do the fund raiser except some time and effort. You tell me, is this a "poor" thing or something deeper? Most of these kids are ESL kids whose Parents are here Illegally. They don't show at Parent/Teacher meetings and when asked why not the kids say their Parents "can't drive". The times the kids get invited to parties the ones that don't speak English huddle in a corner of the room and talk between them since they don't speak English. What's going on here?

Ya, we can second guess this all day but it's pretty obvious that the Parents are here Illlegally and could give a rat butt about giving back to the community or school. They are here to take what is offered. It's so amazing that they can't be part of the school fund raiser or anything that requires involvement but they sure took the time to figure out they could send their kids to the school for free by bus. It's simply..................AMAZING.

This is assimilation? palllllllllllllleeeeeeze.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
What about this:

Would you fight against the CEO's that hire illegals if given the chance?

Seems like a much more winnable war to me...fight thousands instead of millions.

'to kill a snake you only need to cut off the head'

Now your talk'n!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration