Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
USCIS - General Naturalization Requirements

Since we aren't supposed to quote, but post a link...here goes.

You must be able to read, write, speak and understand basic English in order to become naturalized, with a couple of exceptions. Those exceptions are you have lived here legally for 20 years and are 50 yrs. of age or older...you have lived here legally for 15 years and are 55 years of age or older, you have a handicap which prevents ability to learn etc. The assumption on my part is that the naturalization test would be in English only because of the requirement to naturalize in the first place.
That's what I kind of figured. Then I think it makes sense for the voting procses to be conducted in English only.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is about non-assimilation from Hispanic citizens and having to listen to it all day long from one particular ethnic group. It is a constant reminder of the number of illegal aliens that are here from south of our border. It is like pouring salt in an already festered wound. It is about living in the U.S. but feeling like you are living in Mexico instead. I can't make it any plainer than that.
Right, so basically it's your own personal pet-peave and nothing more. We all are entitled to our own personal preferences but in the end they are nothing more than personal preferences. I don't like when people don't let me merge into the freeway but there really isn't anything productive I can do about it, complaining isn't going to get me anywhere. It is what it is.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is about non-assimilation from Hispanic citizens and having to listen to it all day long from one particular ethnic group. It is a constant reminder of the number of illegal aliens that are here from south of our border. It is like pouring salt in an already festered wound. It is about living in the U.S. but feeling like you are living in Mexico instead. I can't make it any plainer than that.
That's what you choose to feel and you are entitled to feel miserable in the land of freedom. They could be legal immigrants, people born in the USA or even tourists, but all you can associate them with are illegal immigration. While they live their normal lives and enjoy talking to each other, you are there watching them, letting the hate and resentment consume you.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
People speaking another language in public --meh, I couldn't care less.

People speaking another language at the workplace -- bad form, rude and shouldn't be done.

People taking drivers tests and voting in languages other than English -- should never be tolerated. If one cannot speak English then one should not be allowed to drive and certainly one should not be allowed to vote. Isn't a proficiency in English needed in order to become a citizen in order to vote in the first place?

As to Spanish speakers getting a bum rap with being linked to illegal immigration.....well, that is what happens when pro illegal immigration rallies hold signs in Spanish, when ESL is being offered for Spanish speaking illegal immigrant children, and when Hispanic advocacy groups are extremely vocal about legalizing illegals as well the need for Spanish to be used to help said illegals.
Ok first you got a problem with illegal immigrants but have a problem with said illegal immigrants become legal residents too? Is that xenophobic, racist, or both? Hmmm...

Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Right, so basically it's your own personal pet-peave and nothing more. We all are entitled to our own personal preferences but in the end they are nothing more than personal preferences. I don't like when people don't let me merge into the freeway but there really isn't anything productive I can do about it, complaining isn't going to get me anywhere. It is what it is.
It is not just a pet peeve. It bothers the heck out of me, also. People who are living and working in the US should speak English. I am very sick of hearing Spanish spoken by people who are living here (not visiting). I work with people from all over the world (China, India, Germany, Korea, Turkey, etc.) and they do not speak to each other in their native languages at work, they speak English. It's only the spanish-speakers (who don't work for my company, but work for the complex my office is in) who refuse to speak English.

And they are LOUD, ugh.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It is not just a pet peeve. It bothers the heck out of me, also. People who are living and working in the US should speak English. I am very sick of hearing Spanish spoken by people who are living here (not visiting). I work with people from all over the world (China, India, Germany, Korea, Turkey, etc.) and they do not speak to each other in their native languages at work, they speak English. It's only the spanish-speakers (who don't work for my company, but work for the complex my office is in) who refuse to speak English.

And they are LOUD, ugh.
Sorry but it is a pet peeve nobody is hurting you if they don't speak English particularly if you aren't dealing with them. I can understand if you're at the drive thru and you can't understand the cashier but someone who just happens to be in the same office building? Come on live and let live!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Ok first you got a problem with illegal immigrants but have a problem with said illegal immigrants become legal residents too? Is that xenophobic, racist, or both? Hmmm...
Neither. It’s called opposition to rewarding those who flagrantly violate our laws. How is it racist or xenophobic? Oh, I keep forgetting, ALL opposition to illegal immigration is based on racism and xenophobia.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
If your spending foreign money here, you can speak what ever you want

If your making money here, you better know English well.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It is not just a pet peeve. It bothers the heck out of me, also. People who are living and working in the US should speak English. I am very sick of hearing Spanish spoken by people who are living here (not visiting).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taken from Dictionary.com
Pet Peeve - a particular and often continual annoyance; personal bugbear: This train service is one of my pet peeves.

n. Informal
Something about which one frequently complains; a particular personal vexation.

n.
a major or principal annoyance or complaint. : Dirty dishes in restaurants are my pet peeve.
I think that is a pretty damn close match to what you're describing. If it is more than a pet peeve, than what would that make it, a super-dooper pet peeve?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM

309 posts, read 427,927 times
I grew up in the USA speaking English, in order to become a naturalized citizen you must pass the test to read, write and speak basic English. Traditionally in our culture, it was considered rude to speak when you could not be understood by others. I believe this is tradition in the Mexican culture as well because my mother and father-in-law will speak in Spanish to each other but when I am around they switch to English for my benefit because they do not want to be rude. My husband will speak to his parents on the phone in Spanish, when we are all in the same room everyone speaks English because they do not want to be rude. To me it is about courtesy. It has nothing to do with trying to listen in on a private conversation.

Because we have traditionally spoken English in this country and because you must know how to read, write and speak basic English to be a naturalized citizen, it becomes offensive to me when I call the pharmacy or our bank, for example, and have to press 1 to continue in English when English is the "national" language of this country. Therefore the assumption on my part, (I am trying very hard to speak only for myself and how I feel), is that since businesses are catering to Spanish speaking they are encouraging Spanish speaking not to become proficient in English. Since I feel English is what unifies us what does catering to another language do? Just look at these threads. There is no sarcasm in this post. I am just trying as honestly as I can attempt to make you understand why I feel the way I do. I am still entitled to my feelings without being called names I would hope, at least in a civil discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration