Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have a severe problem amnestying a bunch of criminal lawbreakers AKA illegal aliens.

If said illegals were willing to face the same punishiments up to and including prison that Americans would for ID theft, etc. then I would be OK with amnesty for a limited number of illegals.
What fool is going to go out of their way to go to jail? See that's MY problem with the whole thing. I'm saying let's make it easier for them to become legal residents then you have folks who have no interest in rewarding people for being honest. If there's no reward for being honest ie. turning oneself in and trying to become a legal resident then why would I? If I had a choice between poverty in some 3rd world country or America I'd pick America.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
But if the person is trying to become a legal resident then what's the problem? How can I not draw the conclusion of racism or xenophobia when the whole violating the law part is being taken out of the equation. The problem is that it is too hard for someone who is an illegal immigrant to become a legal immigrant.
My hostility towards illegals would be just as deep even if they were Nordic White Swedes. Better a group of 'brown' Mexicans who come here legally vs. the former.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
My hostility towards illegals would be just as deep even if they were Nordic White Swedes. Better a group of 'brown' Mexicans who come here legally vs. the former.
That's very easy to say when white Swedes have fewer reasons to immigrate here and therefore are not trying to live here illegally. So what's the solution. I have the solution: make it easier and grant some type amnesty so illegals can become legal and therefore aren't breaking those precious laws that all we all seem to love.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
What fool is going to go out of their way to go to jail? See that's MY problem with the whole thing. I'm saying let's make it easier for them to become legal residents then you have folks who have no interest in rewarding people for being honest. If there's no reward for being honest ie. turning oneself in and trying to become a legal resident then why would I? If I had a choice between poverty in some 3rd world country or America I'd pick America.
Let me put it this way: since a lot of people would love to move here: why should we settle for a bunch of ignorant Third Worlders when we can accept educated English speaking Nigerians, Brits, Filipinos, Mexicans, etc. instead??

Again: no amnesty for a bunch of criminals.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
That's very easy to say when white Swedes have fewer reasons to immigrate here and therefore are not trying to live here illegally. So what's the solution. I have the solution: make it easier and grant some type amnesty so illegals can become legal and therefore aren't breaking those precious laws that all we all seem to love.
FYI: the recession alone will put the damper on any sort of amnesty. Face it: your side lost, the party is over.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Let me put it this way: since a lot of people would love to move here: why should we settle for a bunch of ignorant Third Worlders when we can accept educated English speaking Nigerians, Brits, Filipinos, Mexicans, etc. instead??

Again: no amnesty for a bunch of criminals.
How do you know they're ignorant? Just because someone doesn't have a bunch of degrees doesn't mean they're stupid. Having the whole my way or the highway stance is fine but won't solve any problems. People will continue to live here illegally because as mentioned there's no reward for being honest. Someone who is an illegal immigrant is not on the same level as rapist or murderer.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
FYI: the recession alone will put the damper on any sort of amnesty. Face it: your side lost, the party is over.
My side? Huh? What side is that? I didn't know I was at a party is there any punch left?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
How do you know they're ignorant? Just because someone doesn't have a bunch of degrees doesn't mean they're stupid. Having the whole my way or the highway stance is fine but won't solve any problems. People will continue to live here illegally because as mentioned there's no reward for being honest. Someone who is an illegal immigrant is not on the same level as rapist or murderer.
I live here in the Phx area and I see those disgusting, low class creatures with their loud music, etc. all the time. Admittedly; the illegals are thinning out but still.......

Face it: using just illegal Mexicans as our guinea pig; even their own country does not want them.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:25 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Sorry but it is a pet peeve nobody is hurting you if they don't speak English particularly if you aren't dealing with them. I can understand if you're at the drive thru and you can't understand the cashier but someone who just happens to be in the same office building? Come on live and let live!
Yes, let me live in my own country! Let them live in their own country!

I'm living here, and the language is English.

There are many times I shop and have to repeat myself multiple times to a cashier who doesn't speak or refuses to speak English. Once it took me almost half an hour just to order a dozen donuts at dunkin donuts because of the language barrier. (LANGUAGE BARRIER! In my own homeland!) Had a new fence installed at my house and the installers put it in the wrong place because I could not converse with them. On and on. Tired of pressing 1 for English everywhere.

When you are constantly listening to an incomprehensible language it becomes very annoying, like fingernails on a chalkboard. It took a few years for me to develop this attitude. At first it didn't bother me but as time went on it became increasingly a pain in the a.

And, no, I do not feel obligated to learn the language of others in order to function in my own country.

I have more respect for people who at least TRY to speak English. I would never laugh or make fun of someone who is obviously trying to learn. I have no respect for people who expect everything to be handed to them, and expect Americans to change to accommodate them. Uh, you move to a foreign country, you learn the language and customs. Unless, of course, you consider yourself an invader. Invaders come to conquer and don't bother to learn the customs and language of the country they are invading.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, let me live in my own country! Let them live in their own country!

I'm living here, and the language is English.

I have more respect for people who at least TRY to speak English. I would never laugh or make fun of someone who is obviously trying to learn. I have no respect for people who expect everything to be handed to them, and expect Americans to change to accommodate them. Uh, you move to a foreign country, you learn the language and customs. Unless, of course, you consider yourself an invader. Invaders come to conquer and don't bother to learn the customs and language of the country they are invading.
Oh come on invaders? That's a little much don't you think? Again going back to the whole xenophobia thing. So someone doesn't speak English big deal. Is it annoying? Yes but there are bigger things in this life. My point was the fact you're worrying about what two folks are doing that has nothing to do with you. If the person was hired and they have poor speaking and comprehension skill its really the fault of the person who hired them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration