Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

Advertisements

A discussion was started in a closed topic about language use in public, and how it is so bothersome when people use non-english languages while speaking to each other in public. The whole point I was trying to make is that we need to stop freaking out about things that don't directly affect us. If people want to speak in another language in public, let them do it, since they aren't talking to you it doesn't and shouldn't concern you.

Also, although the language argument is constantly brought up in this forum, I don't believe it really relates to illegal immigration, it really is a completely seperate issue as far as I'm concerned, that just so happens to be clumped with it because of the large population of undocumented Spanish speaking immigrants.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:35 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
I don´t care if someone speaks German, Italian, Mandarin , Spanish, Portuguese, etc. we receive more than 50 million tourists per year...they are play an important role in the benefit of our economy.

After all, this is the U.S. and people can speak the language they want.

Now, if a government employee can´t speak English I´d feel insulted....because those jobs are being funded with our tax payers money.

Miami receives more than 20 million tourists per year and many of them can´t speak English. Noone cares, because we know they benefit our economy. They spend their money at walmart, malls, restaurants, hotels, ocean drive, etc etc etc.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
People speaking another language in public --meh, I couldn't care less.

People speaking another language at the workplace -- bad form, rude and shouldn't be done.

People taking drivers tests and voting in languages other than English -- should never be tolerated. If one cannot speak English then one should not be allowed to drive and certainly one should not be allowed to vote. Isn't a proficiency in English needed in order to become a citizen in order to vote in the first place?

As to Spanish speakers getting a bum rap with being linked to illegal immigration.....well, that is what happens when pro illegal immigration rallies hold signs in Spanish, when ESL is being offered for Spanish speaking illegal immigrant children, and when Hispanic advocacy groups are extremely vocal about legalizing illegals as well the need for Spanish to be used to help said illegals.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
People speaking another language in public --meh, I couldn't care less.

People speaking another language at the workplace -- bad form, rude and shouldn't be done.

People taking drivers tests and voting in languages other than English -- should never be tolerated. If one cannot speak English then one should not be allowed to drive and certainly one should not be allowed to vote. Isn't a proficiency in English needed in order to become a citizen in order to vote in the first place?

As to Spanish speakers getting a bum rap with being linked to illegal immigration.....well, that is what happens when pro illegal immigration rallies hold signs in Spanish, when ESL is being offered for Spanish speaking illegal immigrant children, and when Hispanic advocacy groups are extremely vocal about legalizing illegals as well the need for Spanish to be used to help said illegals.
As you stated; especially what I bolded

Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
A discussion was started in a closed topic about language use in public, and how it is so bothersome when people use non-english languages while speaking to each other in public. The whole point I was trying to make is that we need to stop freaking out about things that don't directly affect us. If people want to speak in another language in public, let them do it, since they aren't talking to you it doesn't and shouldn't concern you.

Also, although the language argument is constantly brought up in this forum, I don't believe it really relates to illegal immigration, it really is a completely seperate issue as far as I'm concerned, that just so happens to be clumped with it because of the large population of undocumented Spanish speaking immigrants.
It is about non-assimilation from Hispanic citizens and having to listen to it all day long from one particular ethnic group. It is a constant reminder of the number of illegal aliens that are here from south of our border. It is like pouring salt in an already festered wound. It is about living in the U.S. but feeling like you are living in Mexico instead. I can't make it any plainer than that.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
I don´t care if someone speaks German, Italian, Mandarin , Spanish, Portuguese, etc. we receive more than 50 million tourists per year...they are play an important role in the benefit of our economy.

After all, this is the U.S. and people can speak the language they want.

Now, if a government employee can´t speak English I´d feel insulted....because those jobs are being funded with our tax payers money.

Miami receives more than 20 million tourists per year and many of them can´t speak English. Noone cares, because we know they benefit our economy. They spend their money at walmart, malls, restaurants, hotels, ocean drive, etc etc etc.
My objection isn't to tourists speaking another langauge. I don't expect them to know English or to know very little of it. We don't hear German, Italian, etc. being spoken all day long out in public either. Read my first post for a further explanation.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
In what circumstance is this relevant? For example, in my office there is a woman who comes in on the nightly cleaning crew who is originally from Mexico. She does speak a decent amount of English as well but when I see her we always speak to each other in Spanish because she's more comfortable using it. It isn't work related, just small talk chit chat. Do you consider this exchange bad form, rude and believe that it shouldn't be done?

Quote:
In regards to driver's license exams I don't think taking the exam in another language necessarily means that the individual cannot speak English, in most circumstances he or she knows an adequate amount of English but it is the person's second language and he/she feels more comfortable taking written exams in his/her primary language. Everything that the person needs to know in English (signage, etc.) is kept in English for the purpose of the exam but other than that I don't believe English is at all neccessary to drive. Look at all the Americans who drive into Mexico, should they not be allowed to drive through the border if they aren't proficient in Spanish? After all, all the signage there is in Spanish, isn't it?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the citizenship exam is in English only. I'll have to double-check on that though.

Quote:
Like I said, by circumstance they are clumped together but the two issues should be recognized as seperate in nature. The use of non-English languages is something that covers a much greater group of people in the country than undocumented aliens.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
In what circumstance is this relevant? For example, in my office there is a woman who comes in on the nightly cleaning crew who is originally from Mexico. She does speak a decent amount of English as well but when I see her we always speak to each other in Spanish because she's more comfortable using it. It isn't work related, just small talk chit chat. Do you consider this exchange bad form, rude and believe that it shouldn't be done?
Tough call there; if said woman is here legally that is one thing, if here illegally-------she need to be deported regardless of her English skills.

Quote:
In regards to driver's license exams I don't think taking the exam in another language necessarily means that the individual cannot speak English, in most circumstances he or she knows an adequate amount of English but it is the person's second language and he/she feels more comfortable taking written exams in his/her primary language. Everything that the person needs to know in English (signage, etc.) is kept in English for the purpose of the exam but other than that I don't believe English is at all neccessary to drive. Look at all the Americans who drive into Mexico, should they not be allowed to drive through the border if they aren't proficient in Spanish? After all, all the signage there is in Spanish, isn't it?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the citizenship exam is in English only. I'll have to double-check on that though.
Flip side: does Mexico offer its driver exams in English? As for Mx nationals driving here; my issue is not with those folks visiting here using either a Mx DL and/or an international driver's permit.

Quote:
Like I said, by circumstance they are clumped together but the two issues should be recognized as seperate in nature. The use of non-English languages is something that covers a much greater group of people in the country than undocumented aliens.
Refer to my answer to yoir first paragragh.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 AM

309 posts, read 427,835 times
USCIS - General Naturalization Requirements

Since we aren't supposed to quote, but post a link...here goes.

You must be able to read, write, speak and understand basic English in order to become naturalized, with a couple of exceptions. Those exceptions are you have lived here legally for 20 years and are 50 yrs. of age or older...you have lived here legally for 15 years and are 55 years of age or older, you have a handicap which prevents ability to learn etc. The assumption on my part is that the naturalization test would be in English only because of the requirement to naturalize in the first place.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Tough call there; if said woman is here legally that is one thing, if here illegally-------she need to be deported regardless of her English skills.
What are you saying, that before I engage in conversation with anybody I need to ask them what their immigration status is and ask to see their permanent residency card/social security card? What does immigration status have anything to do with this?

Quote:
Flip side: does Mexico offer its driver exams in English? As for Mx nationals driving here; my issue is not with those folks visiting here using either a Mx DL and/or an international driver's permit.
I don't know, although I do know that the need for it is far less there since there isn't nearly as much immigration to Mexico as there is in the United States so I'm guessing the request for this service is probably far less frequent there than it is here. It is done here as a way to allow people for which English is not their primarily spoken language, which to me makes alot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration