Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

I thought illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won’t do.

Quote:
A group of unemployed electricians picketed the CVS/Caremark warehouse building project Tuesday morning to call for more local tradesmen to be hired to work on the $100 million project.

The electricians - seven active and one retired - carried American flags and signs advocating the use of local workers. They were calling attention to the fact that while they are unemployed, seven undocumented Mexicans -- who worked for a subcontractor at the site -- were arrested Thursday on federal immigration administration violations.

"There are extremely qualified workers in this area, but we aren't on this job," said Ernie Eichensehr, 51, of Steuben County. Eichensehr has been an electrician for 30 years but has been off work for a month. His last job, he said, was at the new dormitory project at Elmira College.
Electricians picket CVS site, call for local tradesmen to be hired | stargazette.com | Star-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM

51 posts, read 65,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I thought illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won’t do.

Electricians picket CVS site, call for local tradesmen to be hired | stargazette.com | Star-Gazette
Do you get the feeling that this is merely the tip of the iceberg? As things get worse economically, unemployed Americans will become even more emboldened in their demand for the scumbag employers to hire Americans only. I also get the feeling that it's going to get really ugly. The handwriting is on the wall.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon1 View Post
Do you get the feeling that this is merely the tip of the iceberg? As things get worse economically, unemployed Americans will become even more emboldened in their demand for the scumbag employers to hire Americans only. I also get the feeling that it's going to get really ugly. The handwriting is on the wall.
Agreed.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,963 times
What a shame. This goes on all the time though. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone with questionable certification working on any building I owned, especially installing electrical components. I think the owners will probably pay a high price for this in the end.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
What a shame. This goes on all the time though. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone with questionable certification working on any building I owned, especially installing electrical components. I think the owners will probably pay a high price for this in the end.
Indeed they will regret it. When I had electricians work on my house, I demanded to see their license before any work was done. Electricity is nothing to play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration