Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

They can “alter” the text, but if amnesty is the ultimate goal, it will not fly.

Quote:
House Democrats are making changes to their immigration legislation to reflect the nation’s high unemployment rate.

The move comes as recognition that the 10.2 percent jobless rate – which is expected to rise and remain in double-digits for much of 2010 -- has altered the political landscape for an immigration bill.

“Each bill is reflective of a time. And with unemployment over 10 percent I think we need to have language that is very carefully tailored,” said Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.).

“How can they allow 12 million illegal immigrants to take jobs that should go to citizens and legal immigrants?,” he asked in a statement announcing the forum. “And how can they claim that enforcement is ‘done’ when there are more than 400 open miles of border with Mexico, hundreds of thousands of criminal and fugitive aliens and millions of illegal immigrants taking American jobs?”
Proponents alter immigration bill in face of tough economic climate - TheHill.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Wow someone must have given them a reality check. They actually are admitting that legals are more deserving than illegals. That we need to secure our border.
That or they are prepping the populace for the famous DC 2 step.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Wow someone must have given them a reality check. They actually are admitting that legals are more deserving than illegals. That we need to secure our border.
That or they are prepping the populace for the famous DC 2 step.
I believe our climbing unemployment rate and tanking economy have forced these crooks to change their tune. It would be political suicide to support amnesty for illegals under these dire circumstances. It is impossible for them to justify taking food out of the mouths of citizens, and putting it into the mouths of illegal aliens.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I believe our climbing unemployment rate and tanking economy have forced these crooks to change their tune. It would be political suicide to support amnesty for illegals under these dire circumstances. It is impossible for them to justify taking food out of the mouths of citizens, and putting it into the mouths of illegal aliens.
I think we need to fire every encumbant. No do overs for them. This has been building for a long time and they all knew about it and turned a blind eye.
How much would the fence have cost in 1986? I would hazard to guess a fraction of what it cost today.
How much have we spent jailing violent criminals who came from SOB?
How mauch has been spent in social services?
Now they want to pretend they get it.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It would not surprise me to see the DREAMies flipping out as their scam continues to fall apart.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It would not surprise me to see the DREAMies flipping out as their scam continues to fall apart.
They can’t be happy campers.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,111 times
Personally, I don't trust them. They're trying to scale it back just enough to let the pro-illegals know they're still on board, while trying to save their necks. As soon as the election is over, they'll be back with a full blown amnesty bill. They've suddenly come to the realization that citizens should come first? I don't buy it. Those who have wholeheartedly supported amnesty in the past have suddenly had a change of heart? Not likely. The only thing that has moved them is the fear that they may lose their seat in Congress.

Ask yourself---What could motivate Luis Gutierrez, of all people, to suggest scaling back an immigration bill? No one has been a more staunch supporter of illegal aliens than he has. My guess is Congress has seen the "Shape up, or ship out" handwriting on the wall. I, for one, am not fooled. This newfound care for the citizen worker will last only until the next election. Expect to see a lot more 'heartfelt care' for jobless Americans in the next several months.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Personally, I don't trust them. They're trying to scale it back just enough to let the pro-illegals know they're still on board, while trying to save their necks. As soon as the election is over, they'll be back with a full blown amnesty bill. They've suddenly come to the realization that citizens should come first? I don't buy it. Those who have wholeheartedly supported amnesty in the past have suddenly had a change of heart? Not likely. The only thing that has moved them is the fear that they may lose their seat in Congress.

Ask yourself---What could motivate Luis Gutierrez, of all people, to suggest scaling back an immigration bill? No one has been a more staunch supporter of illegal aliens than he has. My guess is Congress has seen the "Shape up, or ship out" handwriting on the wall. I, for one, am not fooled. This newfound care for the citizen worker will last only until the next election. Expect to see a lot more 'heartfelt care' for jobless Americans in the next several months.
Note that Navarrette; the flaming pro illegal alien columnist is also starting to come out against illegal immigration----------to the point he is 'requesting' the above to return to Mexico, etc.

I strongly suspect we will be seeing more (in)famous illegal alien apologists 'turn coat' as time goes on. Keep an eye on Janet Murguia, guys........she may be the next one who throws the illegals under the bus to save her own political hide.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,750,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Note that Navarrette; the flaming pro illegal alien columnist is also starting to come out against illegal immigration----------to the point he is 'requesting' the above to return to Mexico, etc.

I strongly suspect we will be seeing more (in)famous illegal alien apologists 'turn coat' as time goes on. Keep an eye on Janet Murguia, guys........she may be the next one who throws the illegals under the bus to save her own political hide.
Has any of your predictions or "premonitions" ever come true?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Has any of your predictions or "premonitions" ever come true?
The writing is on the wall; blacknight04.

Remember I 'called it' when I stated over 2 years ago that the economy would be a major impetus in forcing out illegal aliens en masse. And we were not in a recession back in summer of 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration