Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share this blog with everyone here as it gives good insight to a very real problem that exists and shows there are good (and bad) people that are in a really tough situation:

My Immigration Story - Home

Quote:
Long story short, my husband was brought here by his parents from Cuba. He has been here 47 years since he was 6 years old. We went and filed to adjust his status 5 years ago and it was denied, filed appeal right away, still waiting. We also had filed employment auth in which he already had but attorney said we had to do it as a package, we did. We call and INS sends us a letter stating we will hear something in 90 days, called back 3 times same story. Last letter now said we will hear in 6 mos.

]Kim
Lapeer, MI
Quote:
I came to the states when I was about 9 years old. I'm now 19 years old and an illegal immigrant..I can’t work or go to school like the rest of my friends. I finished up high school but am now stuck with nothing to do. How I wish I never got a taste of the American dream. I could possibly do anything that I wished for in this country but I really can’t cause of my status..My dad that brought me to the country in the first place got his papers cause he remarried after a divorce with my mom. I’m originally from Turkey and will have to attend mandatory military service when I’m 20. If I don’t attend to that I will go to prison when I go to Turkey and be kept double the time in the army which will be almost 3 years. But if I do leave now then I will never be able to come back and will have to speak the language fluently to be able to get an education over there AFTER the service. How I wish my situation was easier. I guess I am not one of the lucky ones and that is a depressing situation. To be 19 years old and cannot do anything that I desire. Cant drive, work, get an education or anything. I’m stuck in life.

Justin
Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
My husband and I went to his interview in CD Juarez in late June of 09. My husband (Agustin) has been in the USA since he was 13 yrs old. I am an American Citizen and we have three children who are all citizens as well. Adriana 14, Gabriel 9 and Miguel 5. During his interview everything was going well. The Counsel that attended him stated his case did not look bad and he may have to apply for the waiver. Turns out, he rec'd a 10 yr ban. Our immigration system is wrong in so many ways. It was such a terrible feeling to have to leave my husband in Mexico and come back home to Chicago on my own. It has only been two months but it feels like two yrs. When will our voice be heard? When will our childrens' voices be heard? Why don't we have the right to have and keep our families united?

Leonor Magana
Chicago, IL
Now I know what most of you will say "they should have thought about it before coming illegally", that's great in retrospect, but it doesn't fix the problem we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Granted, there are myriad sad stories of illegal aliens. However, our country welcomes more legal immigrants than all other countries combined. We simply can’t save the entire world. They need to fight for change in their countries of origin, because we have given all we can. Now, we must take care of our own. It isn’t mean-spirited or selfish; rather, it is self-preservation.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Granted, there are myriad sad stories of illegal aliens. However, our country welcomes more legal immigrants than all other countries combined. We simply can’t save the entire world. They need to fight for change in their countries of origin, because we have given all we can. Now, we must take care of our own. It isn’t mean-spirited or selfish; rather, it is self-preservation.
That doesn't solve this major problem where we have allowed millions of people to come to this country, start lives and then kick them out. That's a real problem that will have long term effects.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That doesn't solve this major problem where we have allowed millions of people to come to this country, start lives and then kick them out. That's a real problem that will have long term effects.
Yes, greedy unscrupulous employers laid out the welcome mat. However, the illegal workers knew they were here in violation of our laws. They had to know eventually they would have to leave. The time is now.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, greedy unscrupulous employers laid out the welcome mat. However, the illegal workers knew they were here in violation of our laws. They had to know eventually they would have to leave. The time is now.
Look at how many families of legal citizens this will effect, I cannot agree with splitting up this many. Just read these stories.

Quote:
I am a 40 year old mother of the most beautiful 2 year old on the planet. Her father is from Brazil and as of today it has been 14 month and 3 days since we were last together. On Tuesday 6/30/09 our waiver request was denied and we have to wait until 2018 to reapply. My husband was in the USA for 4 years. He paid taxes into Medicare and Social Security with a tax ID number my government gave him! Our daughter carries his picture around daycare with her everyday and cries for him every night and I get to cry after the day is done. I have reached out to Washington, Local Government, The press, The Media, Hollywood, Talk-Shows and NO ONE GIVES A DAMN! My husband left to get documents to prove he has no criminal record in Brazil, which he did! He had no criminal issues while he was in the USA. But they only have to say I don't prove Extreme Hardship. I just have a lonely heart. I would like the person that said that to live a day of my life and see what extreme hardship really means! That must be why they never meet with the American relative. It’s much easier to say no to a piece of paper then the face of a mother, wife and a small child! My heart goes out to anyone caught in this nightmare and shame on those that pass judgment without knowing ALL of the faces of immigration.

Diane Batista
Phoenix, AZ
This isn't even about sympathy, this about the long term effects of kids growing up with broken households.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Look at how many families of legal citizens this will effect, I cannot agree with splitting up this many. Just read these stories.

This isn't even about sympathy, this about the long term effects of kids growing up with broken households.
If she loves her husband so much and is concerned for her child, she should join him in Brazil.

As for the Cuban being here for 47 years and only 5 years ago decided to 'get legal', well, I have no sympathy for him.

What is the 19 year old doing about his status? Is he trying to become a citizen or just whining and moping about his situation?

Please.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:

I have no sympathy when someone dallies with a known criminal and crys foul due to the latter being punished for his (or hers) misdeeds.

In the case of an Amrican having a child with an illegal alien: maybe said parents need to walk the talk in not separating the family as in the former following the latter back to its home country

Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:

The children are only “legal” due to the manipulation of the 14th Amendment. While I feel compassion for the children, their parents must accept responsibility for violating our laws. Sadly, families are often separated when a parent breaks a law. However, at least these families have the option of remaining together in another country. Children of incarcerated citizens have no option.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Who's "we"? It wasn't your everyday American who allowed them to come. It is the fault of our government and no, "we" aren't paying the price for their neglect of securing our borders and not taking other steps to deter illegal immigration. We are supposed to be a government for the by people and by the people. We are holding them accountable to that pledge.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 13,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Who's "we"? It wasn't your everyday American who allowed them to come. It is the fault of our government and no, "we" aren't paying the price for their neglect of securing our borders and not taking other steps to deter illegal immigration. We are supposed to be a government for the by people and by the people. We are holding them accountable to that pledge.
Where did he say anything about not securing our borders?
Do you know what reform means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration