Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times

Advertisements

so do you have an english proficiency test on hand?
what if they only know phrases like "house keeping"?

how do you measure acceptable levels of english ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Skin color no. Language - why not? If someone cannot speak a word of English, it's very likely they aren't from this country. And if one chooses to live in a country and never learn a word of it's language then they can expect to be viewed as a foreigner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 PM

at the border its expected. it happens.

and again this is all in response to the silly suggestion that language is enough reason to detain and question someone. i brought the parallel of being a man of color in an urban area. and the reality is that the police dont trust no one. i know how to engage police officers. the first thing i do is check their name in order to adress them as officer garcia, or lopez or officer smith. some of them are just thugs with badges.

its happens.

therefore i would prefer that if im detained or questioned it be based on substantial reasons, not because i spoke spanish or because i was wearing sweats or whatever.

again, im all about better policing and tactics.

Quote:
I've been stopped 3 times by border patrol and asked a few questions. They're friendly enough - I think if they aren't friendly, it's because you displayed anger or something. You can't just assume it's race that gets you questioned over your citizenship. And if they've ever actually checked you then you know they don't really need to do an ID check but can determine in just a few easy enough questions.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,066,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i know how to engage police officers. the first thing i do is check their name in order to adress them as officer garcia, or lopez or officer smith. some of them are just thugs with badges.
Good tip, some of them have bigger egos than the state of Texas. I have been treated well at the border(I5?) while riding with "ethnic" looking hispanics.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 PM

another tip... KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE THEIR EYES CAN SEE!!!

to live and die in LA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Good tip, some of them have bigger egos than the state of Texas. I have been treated well at the border(I5?) while riding with "ethnic" looking hispanics.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM

50,330 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:

to live and die in LA...
That goes for everywhere and everybody. I was getting out of my car at the del mar fair and ended up at gun point because the guy and gal thought I was trying to steal it. I was trying to put the top up.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:02 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:

to live and die in LA...
That is just common sense. If 'contacted' by LE while driving; I pull over (as soon as is safe to do so) and immediately place my hands of the steering wheel. Such a move tends to put a cop at ease.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM

you would think its common sense. but lots of folks (according to my cop buddies) dont know this. most people start reaching for their wallet or purse

its easier to be still, show your hands, and wait to be engaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is just common sense. If 'contacted' by LE while driving; I pull over (as soon as is safe to do so) and immediately place my hands of the steering wheel. Such a move tends to put a cop at ease.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
so do you have an english proficiency test on hand?
what if they only know phrases like "house keeping"?

how do you measure acceptable levels of english ability.
Just like you ought to be able to use English speaking as tell between Willie Nelson and Elton John which is American and which is not. And you can use it to tell who is from Boston and who is from Alabama in most cases.

When someone can't speak English beyond "no speak ingles", they're not from around these parts.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
However - you and I both know you don't get checked for immigration status by them hearing you first. They have other things they go on. I know - because I've been stopped no less than 3 times.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM

yes, but some silly poster is saying that limited english skills is enough reason to question workers citizenship.

Quote:
However - you and I both know you don't get checked for immigration status by them hearing you first. They have other things they go on. I know - because I've been stopped no less than 3 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration