Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
FRAMINGHAM — State Sen. Scott Brown, R-Wrentham, today filed legislation that would require the state Attorney General to receive and document proof of citizenship or right to work in the United States for wage enforcement cases.

“This is a responsible and effective immigration reform that prevents those who are here illegally from receiving the same benefits as taxpaying Massachusetts citizens,” said Brown in a press release. “It also cracks down on employers who hire illegal immigrants at lower wages by communicating with federal authorities and holding them accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”
Brown wants to exclude illegal immigrants from wage abuse cases - Milford, MA - The Milford Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,877,304 times
I totally disagree with this.First off an employer should be fully prosecuted for any and all wage abuses.Secondly if determined to have violated the law by hiring illegals they should be fully prosecuted for those violations also.
We should make it as difficult as possible for violating those 2 seperate issues,maybe next time these dirtbag employers would treat all their workers fair and follow the Immigration laws.Let them spend their ill gotten profits on the lawyers and courts,then when they realize how expensive it is they might try to run their business legally. They should also have provisions to reimburse ICE for all legal costs for housing and deporting said illegals.This is a half-*ssed measure to give lip service to abused workers while knowingly exempting abuses toward illegals and to further protect Big Business when they hire illegals.If these companies insist on hiring illegals they should be slammed from every angle,maybe then they might give it a second thought.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,574,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I totally disagree with this.First off an employer should be fully prosecuted for any and all wage abuses.Secondly if determined to have violated the law by hiring illegals they should be fully prosecuted for those violations also.
We should make it as difficult as possible for violating those 2 seperate issues,maybe next time these dirtbag employers would treat all their workers fair and follow the Immigration laws.Let them spend their ill gotten profits on the lawyers and courts,then when they realize how expensive it is they might try to run their business legally. They should also have provisions to reimburse ICE for all legal costs for housing and deporting said illegals.This is a half-*ssed measure to give lip service to abused workers while knowingly exempting abuses toward illegals and to further protect Big Business when they hire illegals.If these companies insist on hiring illegals they should be slammed from every angle,maybe then they might give it a second thought.

I agree. Much as I'm against illegals entering the country, I'm MORE against any affluent, well-connected scumbag who'd rip them off and exploit their want and their vulnerability. That is one of the FEW instance in which a parallel can be drawn between illegals, and slaves. It's the exploitation that adds a particularly odious layer of 'disgust' to the whole ugly scenario.

Sorry, but I will not advocate 'getting back' at illegals by giving a 'pass' to those who exploit them. It hearkens back too much, in my mind, to the days several decades ago, (before illegals got so much attention) when most employers treated them well....but occasionally, there were employers who'd hire an illegal crew, 'work' them hard for several days, then simply call 'la migra' just before payday. A few even bragged about the practice. Sen. Brown's legislation is a step 'back', in that direction.

I can't condone pressuring the 'little guys' while giving their tormentors carte blanche to escape their responsibilites.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Without unscrupulous employers, illegal immigration could not exist. Granted, they shouldn’t be working in this country, but I cannot condone exploitation in any form; be it illegals exploiting the taxpayers, or employers exploiting illegals. Wrong is wrong. If charges cannot be filed against these employers, how is the government “cracking down” on them?

I read an article of a study conducted comparing LA, Chicago, and New York. This form of exploitation is rampant. I am very anti-illegal, but these employers are simply scum. They all need to be prosecuted and sent to jail. I am sickened by so many aspects of this illegal immigration issue, and the employers and our enabling government are at the top of my list.

The article.

Quote:
Low-wage workers in the Los Angeles area are even more likely than their counterparts in New York and Chicago to suffer violations of minimum wage, overtime and other labor laws, according to a new UCLA study being released today.

The study found that almost nine out of 10 low-wage workers surveyed in Los Angeles County had recently experienced some form of pay-related workplace violation, or "wage theft." Almost one in three reported being paid less than the minimum wage and nearly 80% said they had not received legally mandated overtime.

Los Angeles employees also reported working off the clock, not receiving proper meal and rest breaks, being forced to work despite injuries and facing retaliation from employers for complaining or trying to start a union. Almost one in five Los Angeles restaurant employees and others receiving tips reported that employers or supervisors illegally pocketed all or part of their tips.
L.A. leads New York, Chicago in abuse of low-wage workers, survey says - latimes.com

Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 25,823 times
Default FreeThinkUS

"Without unscrupulous employers, illegal immigration could not exist. Granted, they shouldn’t be working in this country, but I cannot condone exploitation in any form; be it illegals exploiting the taxpayers, or employers exploiting illegals."

Well said Benicar,

We must crack down. Here in Mass there was just an uproar about The Patriots, Bob Kraft. The Stadium hired an outside vendor that was using illegals to clear snow for this weekends game. A random stop was done and a few were detained and 49 others were released to return on their own to defend their status. The vendor was fired from the Kraft Organization but there has been no word of Penalties. Sorry I forgot to save the link. Please check The Boston Globe Online. There were 4 stories including one from today.
Google freethinkus. We are in the top 5. Stories are there as well.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 PM

119 posts, read 197,350 times
This would have been a better story if it just said....

MA: Brown wants to exclude illegal immigrants.

I think the opposite of what others think. I think every business should use illegal labor as much as they can and then NOT pay them. I am sure some business owners would get killed, but for the money you save by not paying them you could probably hire some security and save a few bucks.

That'd learn em.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,253,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
In this case we have employers hireing illegals. Illegals who are knowingly breaking the law simply by being here and compounding it by breaking a number of other laws. I have no sympathy for the illegals. They are willing partners in this mess. They deserve the abuse they invite. This is the reward they have earned.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In this case we have employers hireing illegals. Illegals who are knowingly breaking the law simply by being here and compounding it by breaking a number of other laws. I have no sympathy for the illegals. They are willing partners in this mess. They deserve the abuse they invite. This is the reward they have earned.
You are right on. Illegal aliens have no rights. If illegals are screwed by a criminal employer illegally hiring illegals too bad. If illegals weren't so dumb they would realize that they are probably going to be screwed by the criminal employers if it's at all possible for the criminal employer to do so. It's just as illegal for an illegal to work for a criminal illegal employer as it is for a criminal employer to hire an illegal. For an illegal to be able to have legal recourse against a criminal employer illegally employing them is the height of assininity. I believe in a scorched earth policy toward illegals and illegals getting screwed by criminal employers would be part of that scorched earth policy toward illegals. On the other hand I want criminal employers of illegals to be caught and fined out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration