Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,584,624 times

Advertisements

Yet, they refuse to demand anything from their own governments.

Quote:
The Fast for our Families is indefinite: the fasters intend to consume only liquids until President Obama listens to "the voices of American families that have been torn apart by the deportation system," as they wrote in a letter to the President on January 6.

The fasters include Francisco Agustin, a Guatemalan farmworker who suffers from a job-related disability, and Jenny Aguilar, a Honduran mother who has lived in the United States for 18 years and raised her three U.S.-born children here. The immigration agency forces Aguilar to wear a GPS monitoring device on her ankle. "I am fasting because of all the injustice and damage to families that Immigration [enforcement] is causing," says Aguilar. "I want to be free and have a different life for my children."

Another faster was previously deported to Mexico for driving without a license. She has two U.S.-born children, ages four and six. Wilfredo Mendoza and Jonathan Fried are United States citizens who joined the fast in solidarity with their immigrant friends, family and community members. On January 6, Guatemalan-born artist Sabastián Caño joined the other fasters at St. Ann's Catholic Mission in the Miami suburb of Naranja.
Jane Guskin: A New Immigrant Revolution Takes Shape: Wake Up -- It's Happening NOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Jane Guskin: A New Immigrant Revolution Takes Shape: Wake Up -- It's Happening NOW
They do demand things from their own governments. Many people want change in their home countries. When you have large disparities in wealth resulting in a small upper class, a VERY small middle class, and a large underclass...coupled with backing and support of the upper class from a certain super power, it's pretty hard to get things done. Ah, the politics of the third world. Nothing really changes since the neo-colonial structure rarely changes.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,666,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
They do demand things from their own governments. Many people want change in their home countries. When you have large disparities in wealth resulting in a small upper class, a VERY small middle class, and a large underclass...coupled with backing and support of the upper class from a certain super power, it's pretty hard to get things done. Ah, the politics of the third world. Nothing really changes since the neo-colonial structure rarely changes.
Hey, got a link to some news articles about the poor in other countries demanding something from their governments?

If there is a 'very small' upper and middle class in these countries then what are the masses waiting for? They should be boycotting everything and refusing to work their menial jobs until reforms are put in place.

But, maybe that's just too hard for them or nobody thought of that yet. Just do the EASY thing and make demands on the USA!

It doesn't matter how much 'support' the minority have from any country.
Strength in numbers. That's what counts.

Stop making excuses. And post those links.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,252 times
[quote=Fox Terrier;12457568]Hey, got a link to some news articles about the poor in other countries demanding something from their governments?

Google search. Too many links to list.

If there is a 'very small' upper and middle class in these countries then what are the masses waiting for? They should be boycotting everything and refusing to work their menial jobs until reforms are put in place.

It's called subjugation. Many of these people are so poor that if they don't go to their "menial jobs" they will not be able to feed their families. It's not like here in the first world. Boycot what? Again, they typically buy only essentials.

Here's the situation. You live in extreme poverty. You simply make enough money to provide food, shelter, and clothing. That's pretty much it. Every once in a blue moon, you can buy a non-essential. So you expect people en-masse to forgo wages (thus, can't provide food)?

Those protesting are usually the intelligensia of the nation. You will also have those that are above subsistance, but still poor, protesting as well (not as much). The extreme poor, simply can't afford to do so.

In the United States and Europe, few people are in that level of poverty. Thus, it's easier for the masses to protest.

In places like Mexico, the lower middle class is larger than in many other developing nations. Also, you have a larger intelligensia than in many other developing nations (small when compared to Europe or the US, but large when compared to Africa or SE Asia). So you do have protests going on.

But, maybe that's just too hard for them or nobody thought of that yet. Just do the EASY thing and make demands on the USA!

You don't have a good understanding of the developing world it seems...

It doesn't matter how much 'support' the minority have from any country.
Strength in numbers. That's what counts.

That's not all that counts. Money and power account for A LOT as well...

Stop making excuses. And post those links.

Search yourself. Again, too many to list.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,666,654 times
Did a Google search. There was only one posting that mentioned any uprising of the poor in Mexico. I didn't check any other country, though.

This is from 1995.

Where are the 'too many' articles you claim?
Of significance in this article is the paragraph about some Indian group staging a revolt and the Mexican government immediately giving in to most of their demands!

The Social Contract - Homegrown Pressures for Reform

Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,763,174 times
Quote:
Quote:
The fasters include...Jenny Aguilar, a Honduran mother who has lived in the United States for 18 years and raised her three U.S.-born children here. The immigration agency forces Aguilar to wear a GPS monitoring device on her ankle. "I am fasting because of all the injustice and damage to families that Immigration [enforcement] is causing," says Aguilar. "I want to be free and have a different life for my children."
If she 'wants to be free and have a different life for her children', she should enter the US and apply to for citizenship like many other LEGAL immigrants have done. I guess 18 years isn't enough time for her to do this?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM

183 posts, read 243,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

I have agreed with you on just about everything 'cept this. Were the pot calling the kettle black.

Quote:
Its not just other countries its here in the U.S. They have the same problem we do. They might be demanding things from their government- Im not sure but if they are obviously they arent being heard. Now again I state pot meet kettle, we have this problem because were not being heard. We dont all rally together and make demands from OUR government and even if we did they wouldnt listen to us because were American, they dont care what you have to say unless your from another country. Were stuck here in this country, we cant afford to leave or cant leave in general to another country so we have no other choice but deal with what the government does no matter how badly its screwing us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If she 'wants to be free and have a different life for her children', she should enter the US and apply to for citizenship like many other LEGAL immigrants have done. I guess 18 years isn't enough time for her to do this?
I completely agree here. If thats realy what she wanted you would think she would want a citizenship here badly enough shed push to get it.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,571,834 times
I'd LIKE to make a few comments here, regarding the tough spot these folks find themselves in, and how, though they're illegal here, one STILL has to feel a lot of sympathy and compassion, and a lot of mixed emotions.

However, most of my comments would probably eventually mention 'Third World' conditions and cultural practices....and every time I do this, someone 'bawls me out', since there really IS no such thing as the 'Third World', and all cultures treat their members equally to all OTHER cultures..

So I won't comment, other than to say I feel a lot of compassion for these people, but at the same time I realize that we live by a system of laws, which we must continue to do, if we don't want to end up in the 'Thir......'

.....well, I guess I should say, if we don't want OUR system, here, to fall apart.

I'd like to say more, but don't want to provoke a 'firestorm'.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,876,502 times
They make demands from hard working American taxpayers because they take us for naive,over priviliged suckers.They need to take personal responsibility and own up to their own stupidity.Most of these idiots have no business having large families,out of wedlock children,early teenage births,little or no education/skills and expect the world to provide for them.The other day on nightly news with Brian Williams he reported in Haiti that the average daily income there was $2.00 a day,you don't need to be a Rocket scientist to figure out what kind of future awaits you.
Mexico's peasannts need to own up to the fact that poor education,high birth rate and poor job oppurtunities= poverty.They like to state how hard they work,there's a difference between working hard and working intelligently.A lot of us are getting real tired at hearing this,if it was actually true Mexico would be an economic powerhouse,not China.Instead Mexicans continue to shootthemselves in the foot,most of their problems are self inflicted.They need to take their demands and whining back home.There will be no revolution back home,because of the corruption and the fact that most of them will continue to sell each other out for whatever personal gain that they can get for themselves.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:57 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,403,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Hey, got a link to some news articles about the poor in other countries demanding something from their governments?
Do a google search on the Zapatista revolution in Chiapas, Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration