Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times

Advertisements

Once they reach our shores, they will not be returned. How can they? Apparently others also realize we do not have enough room for both illegals who are currently here, and the Haitian refugees. Since most of the current detainees are awaiting deportation, why not do it now?

Quote:
Federal authorities plan to move more than 400 detainees from the Krome detention center in West Miami-Dade to make room for a potential influx of Haitian migrants fleeing the earthquake zone, the Department of Homeland Security said Saturday.

It was not clear when the relocation process would begin, or where the detainees currently housed at Krome would be placed.

Instead, the move to free up space in Krome is precautionary -- and part of the department's contingency plan for major events, sources told The Miami Herald.

The federal government last week granted Temporary Protected Status to Haitian immigrants living in the United States before the earthquake. The status does not apply to Haitians living in Haiti, but authorities are concerned that there could be confusion about that fact, prompting some Haitians to take to the seas.
Krome detention center readied for for possible influx of Haitians - Haiti - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/americas/haiti/story/1429883.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
I am sure they are attempting to still follow the procedures they have in place for detainees while trying to make room for the possible influx as a result of the earthquake. I wouldn't worry too much about this, I'm sure they'll find a way to manage the situation.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
This will be used as ammo for that good ol "immigration reform" the pro-criminal side has been clammering for.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM

341 posts, read 679,286 times
We should be welcoming our Hatian brothers and sisters with open arms. In times of disaster, especially the one that has wiped out Haiti, we need to be there for our neighbors who suffer. Haiti is our neighbor and we need to do our part to lessen the suffering. It is obvious that Haiti cannot provide for it's suffering souls at this time. Their comes a time when empathy must trump politics and xenophobia. Being ant-illegal is one thing, but there is an old saying that goes "GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY."

Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
We should be welcoming our Hatian brothers and sisters with open arms. In times of disaster, especially the one that has wiped out Haiti, we need to be there for our neighbors who suffer. Haiti is our neighbor and we need to do our part to lessen the suffering. It is obvious that Haiti cannot provide for it's suffering souls at this time. Their comes a time when empathy must trump politics and xenophobia. Being ant-illegal is one thing, but there is an old saying that goes "GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY."
Sorry, but the answer isn't to bring them here but to help them in their own country.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
Yes, I absolutely believe we should help the Haitians. However, we should plan to accommodate those who will be coming (and they will) by removing Mexican illegals who are awaiting deportation. I say Mexican, because they account for the vast majority of illegal aliens in this country, as well as being the most ingrate and arrogant. Deport them, and there will be less of a burden on the taxpayers of this country. After all, they have no legal right to be here.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, I absolutely believe we should help the Haitians. However, we should plan to accommodate those who will be coming (and they will) by removing Mexican illegals who are awaiting deportation. I say Mexican, because they account for the vast majority of illegal aliens in this country, as well as being the most ingrate and arrogant. Deport them, and there will be less of a burden on the taxpayers of this country. After all, they have no legal right to be here.
Just be honest, how many Mexican illegal immigants do you know personally?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,869,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Just be honest, how many Mexican illegal immigants do you know personally?
Personally, I do know a few. Yes, they even told me.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Personally, I do know a few. Yes, they even told me.
Didn't ask you but now that you mention it I'm happy for you. I know some too and they aren't at all how Benicar describes them.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,869,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Didn't ask you but now that you mention it I'm happy for you. I know some too and they aren't at all how Benicar describes them.
If stealing someone else's identity, and breaking immigration laws is ok to you, then that's good for you. I certainly do not support it. An American would go to jail for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration