Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times

Advertisements

A Direct Threat

Zetas bring fear of violence to our back yard

06:58 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's a rare moment when American journalism goes into retreat. Reporters have been on the front lines of every U.S. conflict from World War II to Iraq. The presses have continued to roll despite earthquakes and hurricanes, riots and domestic political turmoil such as Watergate.

That's because the dangers and threats always paled in comparison to the goal of keeping the public informed. But today, journalists are under direct threat and in retreat at America's doorstep because drug traffickers do not like the uncomfortable attention U.S. reporters are giving to their bloody enterprise.

Last week, newspapers received word that the Zetas, Mafia-style hit squads working for drug traffickers, are threatening to kill an American reporter in Laredo. The San Antonio Express News decided to pull its reporter temporarily from the paper's Laredo bureau. The Dallas Morning News, which regularly covers cartel operations in Nuevo Laredo, also is taking precautions.

The danger is real. In the past nine months, seven journalists have been killed in Mexico, making it second only to Iraq as the deadliest country for journalists to operate. Two grenade attacks in April and May prompted Cambio Sonora, a leading daily in northern Mexico, to close.

A threat by a Mexican gang to kill an American reporter on U.S. soil should send a chill up the spine of anyone who values freedom and democracy.

One can only speculate why a group of killers, rich with drug money and obviously unconcerned about public opinion polls, would care what the U.S. news media report about them. But it's clear that these groups rule by fear. And when the public loses access to information, manipulation by fear becomes far easier.

Last month, we decried the closure of Cambio Sonora because it signaled the slow death of civilized, sane discourse in Mexico. Cambio 's reporters and editors are not to blame because it's their government's job to provide for the public safety, and it has failed.

We shudder to think that, now, we must sound a similar alert right here in Texas.

- Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:08 PM

28,948 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
A Direct Threat

Zetas bring fear of violence to our back yard

06:58 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's a rare moment when American journalism goes into retreat. Reporters have been on the front lines of every U.S. conflict from World War II to Iraq. The presses have continued to roll despite earthquakes and hurricanes, riots and domestic political turmoil such as Watergate.

That's because the dangers and threats always paled in comparison to the goal of keeping the public informed. But today, journalists are under direct threat and in retreat at America's doorstep because drug traffickers do not like the uncomfortable attention U.S. reporters are giving to their bloody enterprise.

Last week, newspapers received word that the Zetas, Mafia-style hit squads working for drug traffickers, are threatening to kill an American reporter in Laredo. The San Antonio Express News decided to pull its reporter temporarily from the paper's Laredo bureau. The Dallas Morning News, which regularly covers cartel operations in Nuevo Laredo, also is taking precautions.

The danger is real. In the past nine months, seven journalists have been killed in Mexico, making it second only to Iraq as the deadliest country for journalists to operate. Two grenade attacks in April and May prompted Cambio Sonora, a leading daily in northern Mexico, to close.

A threat by a Mexican gang to kill an American reporter on U.S. soil should send a chill up the spine of anyone who values freedom and democracy.

One can only speculate why a group of killers, rich with drug money and obviously unconcerned about public opinion polls, would care what the U.S. news media report about them. But it's clear that these groups rule by fear. And when the public loses access to information, manipulation by fear becomes far easier.

Last month, we decried the closure of Cambio Sonora because it signaled the slow death of civilized, sane discourse in Mexico. Cambio 's reporters and editors are not to blame because it's their government's job to provide for the public safety, and it has failed.

We shudder to think that, now, we must sound a similar alert right here in Texas.

- Dallas Morning News
Yanno, I'm sorry to sound so pesimistic, but sometimes when I read issues as such, I believe the American people have regressed horribly, rather then progressed to their potentials...

What can we be thinking...I think we have ourselves to blame for this...each and everyone of us, for expecting our government to always remain on the up and up.

Just look at the candidates they are throwing at us for this upcoming election...?????

We will be our own demise...sheeesh, it is so sad...and yanno what I hate hearing the most...."Oh, I don't or can't watch the news, it upsets me way to much" Well then, if you don't keep yourself educated about what is going on in the U.S. you are not a working member of the community. A community must learn to take care of itself, and not expect the government to do all their thinking for them...we've allowed the government to get this way, out of laziness...and not making them accountable....

I'm wondering, now, is it to late?

Thanks so much for the opportunity to vent...

these are the kind of things people should be reading and believing...

Old 07-17-2007, 11:46 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I'm wondering, now, is it to late?
Sadly, I think it is. Our only hope is to hold on as long as we can, take an interest in our communities, and try to make a difference. But so much is out of our control, especially with the garbage that passes for legislation that comes out of Washington these days.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 AM

28,948 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Sadly, I think it is. Our only hope is to hold on as long as we can, take an interest in our communities, and try to make a difference. But so much is out of our control, especially with the garbage that passes for legislation that comes out of Washington these days.
yanno, when I listen to the news, I can't help but shake my head thinking "We are really stupid"

We have become individulists...when our decissions are the result of a price tag, rather then the effects...then everything becomes distorted and begins to deterirate.

It is a shame...we were once a very powerful nation...now we're bullies who cannot make a decission for the good of all the people...and not just ourselves....

We never seem to learn from history...and I ponder, are human beings all that different then any other of God's creatures?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:04 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,873 times
Yes just look at our candidates! More Republicans voted against the amnesty bill than did democrats, but we have to make sure we don't let open borders candidate be elected. Wimpy Washington wimps! If we could get back Eisenhower, teddy Rosevelt, Hoover to help, can you imagine what they would think about those who are letting our country be destroyed as fast as can be?

Old 07-23-2007, 03:40 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,255 times
Default Says a lot about us and this forum

I am surprised that this thread is not getting more posts...???..But, I guess this reflects the fact that this forum reflects what the situation is in the USA today...A lot of people are just concerned with whatever the single issue is that is their concern, and are really incapable of seeing the whole picture..

A free press is a building block of our freedom...This is an important issue to everyone...

There are many print and broadcast media that are biased in their reporting - For instance, many choose to bury negative stories about illegal immigrants, while at the same time they run headline stories about any insignificant event that sheds a favorable light on them.

But, there are still many good, unbiased and fair print and broadcast media outlets.

We should be outraged, and there should be more attention given to this type of story....But, the single issue mobs don't understand the broader picture...They only want to vent about their issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration