Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times

Advertisements

More Americans killed by illegal aliens than Iraq war, study says

Is it just me, or does our current government have a penchant for things that cause American citizens to die in large numbers?

Who elected these people?!? Oh that's right, we did. Hey, we couldnt help it -- the pickins were damn slim.

Have any of you sensible people out there (and there are many on this board) considered running for public office so that I can actually have a chance to feel good about my vote in 2008?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 01:23 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
It's sad to read something like this. Our government has known for years illegals commit extremely violent crimes, yet they do nothing but argue over how to give them amnesty.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
I agree - it's discusting. Why are we fighting a war over there, when we're being invaded by illegal criminals here. It's pathetic.

I don't think our Gov't gives a crap about it's own people. They just want our money, taxes, and blood.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Car accidents still kill 20 times more people than that every year. Let's get rid of cars first.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Car accidents still kill 20 times more people than that every year. Let's get rid of cars first.
I'm still lobbying to get rid of cancer, heart disease, and natural causes. Think how many lives it would save.

Obviously you're missing my point. There is an applicable solution to the deaths being caused by war and immigration. The fact that our government has not even made a half-hearted attempt to apply such a solution is what I'm questioning.

Car accidents are different. We can take steps to eliminate some of the root causes, like we've done with stiffer DUI penalties and anti-cellphone laws, but accidents are still going to happen. This is 2007, not 1807; eliminating cars in a country of over 300 million would crush our economy, generate mass chaos, eradicate jobs, make millions unable to work, eventually resulting in starvation, unchecked crime and poverty, and ultimately, more deaths than cars could ever cause.

But nice try playing devil's advocate.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:48 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,147 times
Default It is a question of scale

The 3,000 soldiers (out of a few hundred thousand) is a pretty big proportionate number, but will be dwarfed by many things when held up against the entirety of a country of 300 million.

As an example (this is from a John Stossel special a few years ago)

500 people (mostly toddlers) die each year drowning in 5 gallon buckets

1000 people a year die falling down stairs.

Since 9/11 was almost 6 years ago, that means the terrorists killed the about the same amount as buckets, and half that of stairs. It doesn't mean that we should then just ignore 9/11.

Illegal immigrant crime is a problem (especially to the victims and their families), but take into consideration that as a Demographic, illegal immigrants are about half as likely to commit a violent or property crime as a citizen.

Last edited by Evlevo; 05-29-2007 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 PM

452 posts, read 1,132,328 times
This was a thread a long time ago,

//www.city-data.com/forum/immig...-murdered.html

9,625 American citizens are killed by Illegal criminal immigrants each year(this number dwarfs the number of U.S. personel who die in COMBAT every year)

45,625 American citizens have been killed by illegal criminal immigrants since 9/11 as of the date of this study.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Illegal immigrant crime is a problem (especially to the victims and their families), but take into consideration that as a Demographic, illegal immigrants are about half as likely to commit a crime as a citizen.
Please tell me this is a joke. 100 percent of illegal immigrants are criminals, hence the word "illegal".

I'm pretty sure that number is quite a bit lower for American citizens...

Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Please tell me this is a joke. 100 percent of illegal immigrants are criminals, hence the word "illegal".

Clarified my previous post to say "violent or property crime"

If your standard is "any crime" then both will be at about 100%

Speeding, jaywalking, being off on your taxes (even by a few dollars), not returning the 'extra' 5 cents if the clerk gets the change wrong... they are all violations of the law, hence "illegal". Yes, sneaking over a border IS worse than an overdue library book. I was however speaking about the "crime" that usually comes to mind.... robberies, murder, home burglary, etc.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:04 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post

No, every European here is illegal as well as those illegals. But one thing is for certain. We need to put up a wall on the souther border with towers for Military snipers. They can practice shooting all those immigrants and so when war comes. People will know that we have the best snipers in the world because they are shooting at over three million illegals so they most definately have good aim. I'd also like to mention that Mexico shouldn't try to push a moral agenda on us about immigrants. While they(mexico) has one of the harshest immigration policy in the world and they have their military on the southern border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration