Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Since 2007

"The Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000 created two new nonimmigrant visas for noncitizen victims of crimes, the T-visa and the U-visa. Both visas are designed to provide immigration status to noncitizens that are assisting or are willing to assist authorities investigating crimes. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued the U visa regulation on September 17, 2007."

The Human Trafficking Project: DOL to start certifying U Visa applications
Yes, since 2007. However, until recently, workplace violations were excluded. Now, in addition to USCIS, DOL has the authority to issue U Visas for illegal alien "victims" of employers who violate wage and labor laws, or exploit/threaten them. If the illegal employee agrees to assist the DOL with its investigation, they have an opportunity to receive a U Visa.

There’s really nothing to ponder.

Quote:
OPA News Release: [03/15/2010]
Contact Name: Sonia Melendez or Joseph De Wolk
Phone Number: (202) 693-6075 or (202) 579-7359
Release Number: 10-0312-NAT

US Labor Department to exercise authority to certify applications for U visas
Action will help victims who aid law enforcement

WASHINGTON — Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis today announced that the U.S. Department of Labor will begin exercising its authority to certify applications for U Nonimmigrant Status Visas. U visas — as they are known — are designed to help victims of qualifying criminal activities who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse and are willing to assist law enforcement or other government officials in the investigation or prosecution of those crimes.

Labor Department authority to certify U visas will be delegated to its Wage and Hour Division, which will identify potential applicants in appropriate circumstances during the course of workplace investigations.
OPA News Release: US Labor Department to exercise authority to certify applications for U visas [3/15/2010]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,911,645 times
I got pecked in the eye by a crow as I sat waiting for the coyote to drive me to America. Give me a house. A scorpion stung me on the *******. How about a free car ? I got diarrhea from a big mac as I waited for the man at home depot. Give me free hospital treatment. An old lady gave me the finger, and told me to go back to Mexico. I want to sue her for insulting my manhood. I demand 20 thousand dollars. I lost the money gambling. Give me a job with a special visa. A dog peed on my leg. I demand to become president of the United states !

rhymes with modem

Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,856,127 times
It's ONE thing to isse U-visas to those illegals who are victime of crime and who assist the authorities with the apprehension etc of the perps - but why in hell should they then be able to USE that status to bring in their relatives?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,804,096 times
Somehow, I see these as little more than another "get-out-of-jail-free" pass.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,216,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, since 2007. However, until recently, workplace violations were excluded. Now, in addition to USCIS, DOL has the authority to issue U Visas for illegal alien "victims" of employers who violate wage and labor laws, or exploit/threaten them. If the illegal employee agrees to assist the DOL with its investigation, they have an opportunity to receive a U Visa.

There’s really nothing to ponder.

OPA News Release: US Labor Department to exercise authority to certify applications for U visas [3/15/2010]
So you were okay with the law from 2007 until now?

Why do you put quotation marks around victims, as if these people arent really being victimized? You yourself wrote that their employers "violate wage and labor laws, or exploit/threaten them."

Not sure what you mean about pondering.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Why do you put quotation marks around victims, as if these people arent really being victimized? You yourself wrote that their employers "violate wage and labor laws, or exploit/threaten them."

Perhaps because their "victimisation" is their own fault? No-one is stopping them from leaving the job they have illegally and returning to their own country.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,000,905 times
Commit a crime of crossing the border illegally, and often identity theft to get hired, and get rewarded with pay courtesy of taxpaying Americans.

Unbelievable!

I guess this is the hopey changey social justice people wanted when they voted for this manchurian candidate now occupying the oval office.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,773,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It's ONE thing to isse U-visas to those illegals who are victime of crime and who assist the authorities with the apprehension etc of the perps - but why in hell should they then be able to USE that status to bring in their relatives?
How about the section which says incest victims are eligible? Does that mean dad can abuse his daughter, and in turn daughter can receive a U Visa and bring in everyone else in the family, leaving dad to come in illegally after his deportation?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How about the section which says incest victims are eligible? Does that mean dad can abuse his daughter, and in turn daughter can receive a U Visa and bring in everyone else in the family, leaving dad to come in illegally after his deportation?

What the HELL are you talking about and what does YOUR post have to do with what I said in MINE?

I'm really starting to wonder if people just hit ANY post to "quote" then hit reply...........WTF did I say I thought this was a GOOD thing?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:

I don’t endorse any measure intended to reward illegal aliens. However, now, they have yet another avenue for fraud. After all, honesty is not exactly their strong suit.

Many will abuse this visa and claim victimization where none exists; thus, the quotations. Furthermore, their victimization is self-inflicted.

Had they not chosen to ignore our laws, they would not be vulnerable to exploitation in the workplace, or otherwise. While I certainly believe all employees should be paid for hours worked, they knew the risks when they chose to engage in illegal behavior. It goes with the territory.

My “ponder” comment was in response to your emoticon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration