Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I really want to hear from Grandpa.
Most of the people who support this Law, are people who exercise racial profiling daily. This Law, just hopes to allow someone in a position of authority to do it, legally. I don't think it will survive the legality part, but it does reaffirm some people prejudices, somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:02 AM

37,185 posts, read 19,241,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One that comes to mind immediately is employment - you must be lawfully "present" in the United States to be employed. Conversely, an employer can only hire those lawfully in the United States.

Licensure - to get say a contractors license, a real estate license, a hair dressers license, one must show lawful presence.

For starters.

And, its "great grandpa" if you don't mind!
If an employer knowingly hires illegals, the owner of the business should be liable for a $10,000 fine per instance and mandatory jail time for a second offense. If there was no work for illegals they would self-deport at no cost to the government. Why not put some real serious teeth into those laws and enforce the hell out of them?

If I understand it correctly, the law that Jan Brewer signed gives LE the power to detain citizens who are not in any way observably breaking the law and in essence perform an illegal search. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is a far cry from getting a background check done for employment or licensing purposes. I hold two professional licenses myself and have been investigated seven ways from Sunday. If I was asked on the street by a policeman to produce papers proving my identity, citizenship, or "lawful presence", I would tell him to Get Stuffed and be WELL within my Constitutional rights to do so.

BTW GGpa - congratulations and God Bless.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:15 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,107,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Just obey the law of the land and you'll have no problem.
Most illegals do as well, aside from being on the wrong side of an invisble line.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:27 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,353,458 times
Quote:
And why would anyone question your "lawful presence" in the United States unless it was as a direct result of racial proflling?

How many times have illegal aliens been arrested for other crimes, made bail, skipped their court dates, and gone on about their business? Every person who intereacts with law enforcement should be screened for immigration status. They always check for outstanding warrants. What's the differecne there? Are they violating my civil liberties with a warrant check? Illegal immigration is a crime. If they check immigration status what is the difference between that and checking for warrants?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One that comes to mind immediately is employment - you must be lawfully "present" in the United States to be employed. Conversely, an employer can only hire those lawfully in the United States.

Licensure - to get say a contractors license, a real estate license, a hair dressers license, one must show lawful presence.

For starters.

And, its "great grandpa" if you don't mind!

I had to fill out an I9 for my last job. I had to show my passport as documented proof of citizenship. Guess what: I'm white. Did that violate my civil liberties?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
If an employer knowingly hires illegals, the owner of the business should be liable for a $10,000 fine per instance and mandatory jail time for a second offense. If there was no work for illegals they would self-deport at no cost to the government. Why not put some real serious teeth into those laws and enforce the hell out of them?

If I understand it correctly, the law that Jan Brewer signed gives LE the power to detain citizens who are not in any way observably breaking the law and in essence perform an illegal search. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is a far cry from getting a background check done for employment or licensing purposes. I hold two professional licenses myself and have been investigated seven ways from Sunday. If I was asked on the street by a policeman to produce papers proving my identity, citizenship, or "lawful presence", I would tell him to Get Stuffed and be WELL within my Constitutional rights to do so.

BTW GGpa - congratulations and God Bless.

Workplace enforcement has been conducted many times and it's usually met with these same protests and acccusations of racism. It seems that every attempt to enforce immigration law will be subject to this. So what is law enforcement supposed to do then?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
How many times have illegal aliens been arrested for other crimes, made bail, skipped their court dates, and gone on about their business? Every person who intereacts with law enforcement should be screened for immigration status. They always check for outstanding warrants. What's the differecne there? Are they violating my civil liberties with a warrant check? Illegal immigration is a crime. If they check immigration status what is the difference between that and checking for warrants?
If you read the other posts here you will answer your questions.

If they are not already "interacting" with LE, why would they be questioned, bothered, harrassed, or asked anything whatever?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Most illegals do as well, aside from being on the wrong side of an invisble line.

Identiy theft, fraud, tax evasion, driving unlicensed, unregistered and uninsured...oh yes- they're all very law abiding aren't they?

Invisible line? Please answer the following questions:

Should the USA allow anyone in the world into the country any time they want to enter?

Does the USA have the resources to support everyone in the world who would like to come here?

Jobs, schools, hospitals, roads, energy, food supplies, water supplies- are these all infinite resources?

Does immigration to the USA amount to a viable solution to the problems of various countries around the world and all of their citizens?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 AM

45,246 posts, read 26,482,257 times
Default Continual hypocrisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Most of the people who support this Law, are people who exercise racial profiling daily. This Law, just hopes to allow someone in a position of authority to do it, legally. I don't think it will survive the legality part, but it does reaffirm some people prejudices, somewhat.
Looks like someone is doing their own profiling.

Keep laping up Obamas talking points.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Identiy theft, fraud, tax evasion, driving unlicensed, unregistered and uninsured...oh yes- they're all very law abiding aren't they?

Invisible line? Please answer the following questions:

Should the USA allow anyone in the world into the country any time they want to enter?

Does the USA have the resources to support everyone in the world who would like to come here?

Jobs, schools, hospitals, roads, energy, food supplies, water supplies- are these all infinite resources?

Does immigration to the USA amount to a viable solution to the problems of various countries around the world and all of their citizens?
If we deport the racists there will be plenty of room for all the decent people who want to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration