Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times

Advertisements

Breaking news, just in. Texas State Representative Debbie Riddle was just on Fox News with Neil Cavuto. She announced that Texas is going forward with proposed measures very similar to Arizonas. Arizona, Oklahoma, and now Texas, finally the citizens are taking a stand.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
The Northern Rockies states and the Dakotas also not yet overwhelmed by them. Perhaps the cold climate has kept them away. But then again, New York and Illinois is loaded with them, states not known for nice weather, so who knows?
neuyorican?--not sure exactly how they spell the term. But shouldn't we count Puerto Ricans in there as illegal immigrants too? I mean, they're going to get stopped and questioned, so why not give them the same punishment too.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
As a stanch democrat & very much a Obama lover & supporter, I hope all states do. If they don't the illegals will by pass AZ & flood other states.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:46 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
As a stanch democrat & very much a Obama lover & supporter, I hope all states do. If they don't the illegals will by pass AZ & flood other states.
Especially CA

Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
possibly oklahoma and texas.

unfortunately, my home state of new mexico is too full of pander-bears to follow suit.
dont be too sure about that, once we get Richardson out of office NM will be a different place, ABQ already voted in a Republican mayor, and there are plenty of Republicans runing for Gov. this year and I think only 1 or 2 Democrats.

its mostly the out of staters that move here that would probably be against it.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
neuyorican?--not sure exactly how they spell the term. But shouldn't we count Puerto Ricans in there as illegal immigrants too? I mean, they're going to get stopped and questioned, so why not give them the same punishment too.
ANY who are illegally are privy to this law when enforced. Illegal is a crime, not a race.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
ANY who are illegally are privy to this law when enforced. Illegal is a crime, not a race.
Puerto Ricans are considered U.S. citizens.

Once Cubans set foot on U.S. soil, there is no procedure for having them deported back to Cuba.

It seems the only ones who get in trouble would be Mexican immigrants, and people who "look Mexican" would be hassled for identification--even if they and their parents and parents' parents have lived in the U.S. for years. As has been pointed out, they are not going to ask me for my green card just because I CHOOSE to speak with a fake Irish accent.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Puerto Ricans are considered U.S. citizens.

Once Cubans set foot on U.S. soil, there is no procedure for having them deported back to Cuba.

It seems the only ones who get in trouble would be Mexican immigrants, and people who "look Mexican" would be hassled for identification--even if they and their parents and parents' parents have lived in the U.S. for years. As has been pointed out, they are not going to ask me for my green card just because I CHOOSE to speak with a fake Irish accent.
What part of this don't you get? LE has to make legal contact first (and it doesn't matter what your skin color or ethnicity is) in the course of investigation of a crime FIRST. It could be a simple traffic violation. Under those cirumstances LE has always asked for I.D. (nothing new here). If they cannot produce a valid I.D. then and only then can status in this country be asked or investigated. Do you understand now that there is no racial profiling in the above scenario?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM

And what "crime" were they investigating when they stopped me for merely walking down the street--a brightly lit street, at that? I wasn't loitering. I wasn't RUNNING--as if I was making a getaway. I wasn't interacting with other people (possible drug buy). I was merely walking home after work.

Police harass people for no reason--they don't have to have a "reason". They can stop anyone they like on a whim.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
And what "crime" were they investigating when they stopped me for merely walking down the street--a brightly lit street, at that? I wasn't loitering. I wasn't RUNNING--as if I was making a getaway. I wasn't interacting with other people (possible drug buy). I was merely walking home after work.

Police harass people for no reason--they don't have to have a "reason". They can stop anyone they like on a whim.
Why didn't you ask why you were being stopped? You have the right to know, ya know. You may have thought you weren't doing anything suspicious but maybe they were looking for someone who looked like you. Don't jump to conclusions. Most cops don't stop anyone just to harrass them for the fun of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration