Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
There are a plethora of laws against hiring illegals. The problem is a lack of enforcement, not a lack of penalties. Guess what happens when employer sanctions are proposed? Business groups sue, and pro-illegals scream racism.

Stupid little fines are not enough to dissuade employers from hiring illegals. We need REAL penalties, like having their complete business operations seized (or their home if they are an executive of a company they dont own, or a home owner employing illegal help). Let that happen a couple times, and I can bet there wont be a single job for an illegal around.

By the way, I dont know what "pro illegals" you are referring to, but most people I know, on all political sides, believe that something needs to be done about illegals. The only "pro illegals" are the business and home owners profiting from the illegal labor, and possibly the illegals themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't disagree that we should go after companies that hire them. I think we should do both. Why can't the borders be closed - or at least significantly diminish the illegal traffic across them? Other countries seem to be able to do it.

Other countries have very stiff penalties on businesses that hire illegal immigrants. Additionally, if you couldnt figure it out, the US is the most money grubbing country on the planet. Our business owners have no problem selling out fellow Americans to line their pockets. Other countries do not have such a problem. For instance, go check out how Japan works......now that is a country that has 100% Japanese pride.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Other countries have very stiff penalties on businesses that hire illegal immigrants. Additionally, if you couldnt figure it out, the US is the most money grubbing country on the planet. Our business owners have no problem selling out fellow Americans to line their pockets. Other countries do not have such a problem. For instance, go check out how Japan works......now that is a country that has 100% Japanese pride.
You're right about the laws of hiring. That's another place where there has been a lack of any real effort.

By money grubbing, do you mean seeking profit? Many Japanese companies make quite a profit. In China, it's the government, but they seek money as well.

I agree that business should be prosecuted for knowingly hiring illegals. I also think we need more security on the border.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:

By money grubbing, do you mean seeking profit? Many Japanese companies make quite a profit. In China, it's the government, but they seek money as well.
Japanese countries do make profits, but its rarely at the expense of Japanese workers. Japanese companies are actually famous for being notoriously loyal to Japanese suppliers and labor, even to the point of it increasing their expenses.

There is a reason why over 98% of Japan is Japanese, dispite being right next door to many countries with very cheap labor. Foreigners are not welcome, and its made abundently clear.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Japanese countries do make profits, but its rarely at the expense of Japanese workers. Japanese companies are actually famous for being notoriously loyal to Japanese suppliers and labor, even to the point of it increasing their expenses.

There is a reason why over 98% of Japan is Japanese, dispite being right next door to many countries with very cheap labor. Foreigners are not welcome, and its made abundently clear.
I don't have a problem with that at all.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
the quickest way to stem the illegal immigration issue is for americans to vote with their wallets. if americans stopped consuming from companies that hire illegal immigrants then these business would have to change their hiring practices to stay in business. the problem is that most americans don't care how products get to the shelf as long as they are cheap. it makes me laugh sometimes when i see "buy american" bumper stickers in walmart parking lots. but i digress, if companies were to start using all legal labor, prices would certainly increase. would enough americans continue to pay the increased cost derived from 100% legal american labor to create enough of a critical mass to force all employers to rid their policies of hiring illegal labor? i don't know what the answer is, but i'm guessing it's no, otherwise it would have probably happened already.

vote with your wallets america!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with that at all.
Neither do I, but good luck getting American business owners to adapt the same attitude. They have been selling us out for decades.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the quickest way to stem the illegal immigration issue is for americans to vote with their wallets. if americans stopped consuming from companies that hire illegal immigrants then these business would have to change their hiring practices to stay in business. the problem is that most americans don't care how products get to the shelf as long as they are cheap. it makes me laugh sometimes when i see "buy american" bumper stickers in walmart parking lots. but i digress, if companies were to start using all legal labor, prices would certainly increase. would enough americans continue to pay the increased cost derived from 100% legal american labor to create enough of a critical mass to force all employers to rid their policies of hiring illegal labor? i don't know what the answer is, but i'm guessing it's no, otherwise it would have probably happened already.

vote with your wallets america!

I think some of the problem with that is it is hard for Americans to even begin to identify companies using illegal labor. Its easy to know a company is outsourcing, but when they are using illegals, its usually very hidden, and only when someone gets in trouble are Americans made aware on a large scale. Even then, most employers getting busted for employing illegal immigrants end up on the back page, not even an after thought.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
I think some of the problem with that is it is hard for Americans to even begin to identify companies using illegal labor. Its easy to know a company is outsourcing, but when they are using illegals, its usually very hidden, and only when someone gets in trouble are Americans made aware on a large scale. Even then, most employers getting busted for employing illegal immigrants end up on the back page, not even an after thought.

It's not hard: WeHireAliens.com--Illegal Alien Employer Database brought to you by the FIRE Coalition

Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
on the left, there are all kinds of animal rights groups, environmental groups, civil liberties groups, etc. that are out there to let americans know which companies are abusing their power. why does the right not have something similar that lets americans know about the use of illegal labor? if the knowledge was there, would the average consumer even care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration