Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,048,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Responding to calls for an economic boycott of Arizona, the top policy analyst for Los Angeles on Tuesday identified a total of $56 million in Arizona-related investments and recommended that the City Council suspend travel to the state, refrain from entering new contracts and review current ones for possible termination.
L.A. has $56 million in Arizona-related investments - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:13 AM

BTW, other city councils in California that have called for a boycott are San Diego city council, Oakland city council just last week and Sacramento city council was going to have a meeting today to make a decision as to approve a boycott of AZ.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 AM

346 posts, read 709,789 times
Ah, I love California. Meddle with another state's business and boycott the state that provides your electricity. For a city with an unemployment rate of almost 13%, I think this boycott is a great idea - put money into your own bankrupt state. California is in such a terrible economic condition, yet they have time to organize boycotts for other state's laws? They have the right to do as they please, but is this boycott really more important than its economy? Shouldn't they be focusing on their own state and fixing it?

I have a wonderful idea. All states that disagree with other state laws should boycott!
Illinois should boycott Texas over allowing concealed weapons by permit.
Colorado should boycott Georgia over forcing motorcyclists to wear helmets.
All 49 states should boycott Louisiana for administering a different bar exam.
Texas should boycott New York for banning trans-fat.

Also, for any Arizona residents, spread the word that San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Oakland will accept unlimited illegal immigrants.

Arizona is going to be supported by Americans outside of California, Denver, Boston, and New York.

First thing tomorrow I am going to get some Coldstone Creamery.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 AM

You really think Arizona can give itself the luxery of refusing to sell electricity to California? I highly doubt it.

Besides, $56 million is really not much compared to losing well over $4 BILLION from Mexico. $4 billion boycott for Arizona...now that is alot.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM

100 posts, read 252,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You really think Arizona can give itself the luxery of refusing to sell electricity to California? I highly doubt it.

Besides, $56 million is really not much compared to losing well over $4 BILLION from Mexico. $4 billion boycott for Arizona...now that is alot.

Arizona does over 7 Billion in intersate trade with Illinois alone. Arizona does 13 Billion in buisness with Texas. (Source: United States Trade Commision and the Arizona Dept of Economic security.)

Arizona can look else where for trade and economic gain. And yes Arizona can afford to cut off california electric supply. Las Vagas's mayor has already requested that Arizona sell more electricity to them. Cites in Utah, Colorado and New Mexico are also looking to buy more power from Arizona's power plants.

So can Arizona survive a weak and overrated little boycott.....
The answer is yes!!

Arizona will survive any lame boycott!!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,330,892 times
Wow, Americans turning on their fellow Americans to support illegal immigration. What is this country coming to?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,458,535 times
Well, if the city officials for the CA cities calling for the boycott are willing to jeopardize their future career in politics, so be it. Let's start posting the names of the specific persons in each city calling for a boycott so we can be sure to replace them stat.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM

8,640 posts, read 10,171,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Ah, I love California. Meddle with another state's business and boycott the state that provides your electricity. For a city with an unemployment rate of almost 13%, I think this boycott is a great idea - put money into your own bankrupt state. California is in such a terrible economic condition, yet they have time to organize boycotts for other state's laws? They have the right to do as they please, but is this boycott really more important than its economy? Shouldn't they be focusing on their own state and fixing it?

I have a wonderful idea. All states that disagree with other state laws should boycott!
Illinois should boycott Texas over allowing concealed weapons by permit.
Colorado should boycott Georgia over forcing motorcyclists to wear helmets.
All 49 states should boycott Louisiana for administering a different bar exam.
Texas should boycott New York for banning trans-fat.

Also, for any Arizona residents, spread the word that San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Oakland will accept unlimited illegal immigrants.

Arizona is going to be supported by Americans outside of California, Denver, Boston, and New York.

First thing tomorrow I am going to get some Coldstone Creamery.
This makes sense as to why they would boycott the AZ law. They don't want the liability of thousands of illegal immigrants leaving AZ and flooding their cities to make them their new home(s).

Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,597,071 times
I'm sure AZ doesn't care. They were probably paying with IOU's anyway.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,530,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Wow, Americans turning on their fellow Americans to support illegal immigration. What is this country coming to?

Excellent point

It's very sad and I'm sure the worst is yet to come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration