Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
If there is not one adult with legal documentation in the household, they cannot get the earned income tax credit. Most of the undocumented immigrants work hard. If we were humane and figured out a way for the immigrants to buy insurance, the ER visits would not be necessary. What if the shoe was on the other foot and it was you that was born in Mexico? Wouldn't you do everything humanly possible to improve the life for your family?
Oh yes they do, and if you really knew illegal neighbors then you would have a clue how they do it.

I know - because I actually do have illegal neighbors and I know what goes on.

One guy - I'll call him Jorge - and his girlfriend had 4 kids. The 4 kids of course brought them food stamps (household size determines amount of food stamps issued), WIC, free meals at the Head Start for the kids, free health care -- not a dime in doctors bills had to be paid. The girlfriend never worked here -- doesn't have to, the kids bring in plenty to live off. Jorge does work but he doesn't have to pay taxes or child support - he does send money to his other family back home in Mexico now and then. He gets a free place to stay thanks to his kids and girlfriend here.

Well - it's not Jorge's name on the birth certificates. It's this guy Carlos's name and Carlos is a disabled green card holder living off SSI. That puts him in the low income category.

I couldn't figure out why this was done until it was explained that it was for the EITC and child tax credits. Carlos does report his very low income at IRS time - plus the 4 kids that aren't even his. The big EITC and tax refund with the 4 child tax credits is like winning the lottery and the 3 adults split it.

Don't think this isn't done all the time - these people aren't especially bright, but they have it all figured out but I don't think they figured it out all on their own. Word spreads -- and it's extremely easy for the illegals to get EITC checks. I'm sure there are many other plans in place - family members here legally who claim the kids and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 AM

163 posts, read 240,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh yes they do, and if you really knew illegal neighbors then you would have a clue how they do it.

I know - because I actually do have illegal neighbors and I know what goes on.

One guy - I'll call him Jorge - and his girlfriend had 4 kids. The 4 kids of course brought them food stamps (household size determines amount of food stamps issued), WIC, free meals at the Head Start for the kids, free health care -- not a dime in doctors bills had to be paid. The girlfriend never worked here -- doesn't have to, the kids bring in plenty to live off. Jorge does work but he doesn't have to pay taxes or child support - he does send money to his other family back home in Mexico now and then. He gets a free place to stay thanks to his kids and girlfriend here.

Well - it's not Jorge's name on the birth certificates. It's this guy Carlos's name and Carlos is a disabled green card holder living off SSI. That puts him in the low income category.

I couldn't figure out why this was done until it was explained that it was for the EITC and child tax credits. Carlos does report his very low income at IRS time - plus the 4 kids that aren't even his. The big EITC and tax refund with the 4 child tax credits is like winning the lottery and the 3 adults split it.

Don't think this isn't done all the time - these people aren't especially bright, but they have it all figured out but I don't think they figured it out all on their own. Word spreads -- and it's extremely easy for the illegals to get EITC checks. I'm sure there are many other plans in place - family members here legally who claim the kids and so on.
This is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you for explaining it better than I could.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
This is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you for explaining it better than I could.
You're welcome -- anyone who really knows illegals knows better than to believe they're all straight up honest and all work for every dime they get.

I would actually have to say the group of illegals that only works for anything they get is a minority. Certainly not those having many children here because they come as cheap labor, not labor that can afford large families.

I'd actually like to see one example of an illegal that isn't committing felony document fraud, and is paying all his taxes, supporting all his children himself, paying for a health insurance plan and everything else that people in this country must do.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 AM

163 posts, read 240,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're welcome -- anyone who really knows illegals knows better than to believe they're all straight up honest and all work for every dime they get.

I would actually have to say the group of illegals that only works for anything they get is a minority. Certainly not those having many children here because they come as cheap labor, not labor that can afford large families.

I'd actually like to see one example of an illegal that isn't committing felony document fraud, and is paying all his taxes, supporting all his children himself, paying for a health insurance plan and everything else that people in this country must do.
If there were any illegals here like that then I might actually consider a limited amnesty for THEM (and only them) to be a good idea.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:48 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
If there is like where I live, there are professionals who for a small fee know all the ins and outs and do all the necessary paperwork for them. Actually a pretty lucrative business I'm thinking.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:40 PM

88 posts, read 111,372 times
Default Send them here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I seriously doubt they're going anywhere but CA or back to Mexico. Immigrants tend to go where there are large numbers of others like them.
I wish they'd come to Philadelphia and drive out the other Spanish speaking immigrants. Having lived in CA for two decades, I'll take the hard-working, well-mannered Mexicans over the car-thieving welfare-sucking Caribbean freeloaders any day. At the very least we'd have more great cheap Mexican restaurants to choose from.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM

210 posts, read 408,324 times
Default more to learn

I have more to learn about immigration in the southwest and Albuquerque area but the undocumented neighbors I had before were more hardworking and honest than any white neighbor I have ever had.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Spaceman View Post
At the very least we'd have more great cheap Mexican restaurants to choose from.
More Mexicans here too please. We could use some of their eateries around DC as well. Tired of Central American fare parading as Mexican.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-31-2010 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Fixed quotes

Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
A friend of my parents has a small farm. He has had constant problems with "legal" local labor (US citizens) who show up late for work or don't show up at all. He has hired undocumented workers who show up early to work, every day, and work harder than the local people do. Who would you hire if you were him? He doesn't want to hire the illegals but can't get by without them.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
A friend of my parents has a small farm. He has had constant problems with "legal" local labor (US citizens) who show up late for work or don't show up at all. He has hired undocumented workers who show up early to work, every day, and work harder than the local people do. Who would you hire if you were him? He doesn't want to hire the illegals but can't get by without them.
You honestly are going to insist that illegals from Mexico are the only people in the world who work hard and are honest? That is a load of bull -- I'm sorry but you are a racist. There is no "race" that has some genetic hard work gene.

I've met black Americans who work harder by far than any immigrant. I've known Carribean legal immigrants who are fine workers and upstanding individuals.

If you people are truly so impressed with only people from Mexico who manage to get here illegally - can I suggest that instead of bringing all them here, that you relocate to Mexico and you can immerse yourselves in all those great qualities they have that no other people especially Americans have.

The truth is, they might work cheaper and that's what it's all really about. Dirt cheap servants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration