Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:25 PM

575 posts, read 616,178 times

Advertisements

The Illinois Republican Party was quiet strong until relatively recently. The state had a Republican governor from 1977 to 2003 - 26 straight years.

Two things explain the change:

1. The Chicago metropolitan area's share of Illinois population has increased. The growth has been primarily in the suburbs.

2. The Republican party has become too conservative for many Chicago suburbanites - particularly on social issues.

So a moderate on social issues like Kirk or Rauner can still win in Illinois. But a candidate that is conservative enough to win the Republican presidential primary is doomed in Illinois.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:13 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
there are more dead democrats voting in Chicago than live republicans in the rest of the state

Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 PM

687 posts, read 915,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Illinois is a state of quiet quality, full of people who are among the most enlightened in this country. Naturally, they oppose the party of Dixie, the Republican party. They tend not to favor the supreme ignorance and bigotry that supports the right-wing causes. Thank God the state still has far more of these fine people than it does the other side.

That's why...and don't you forget it either.
So that's why Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Cincinatti, Cleveland, parts of Philly, most of D.C. aside from downtown, St. Louis, Oakland California, etc. etc. are such wonderful places to live, free of crime, clean streets and blessed with the occasional sightings of a unicorn farting a rainbow?

And have you seen Gary right next door to you? Holy smokes!!! Talk about a bastion of beauty there. You liberals sure have created some wonderful places to live. Those "idiots" in Dixie you speak of with their well constructed modernized 3k sq.ft. homes for under a quarter million on large lots who work honest jobs or run their own honest businesses don't have it nearly as good as you guys do. Besides, who needs friendly neighbors and a community that looks out for one another?

Old 03-07-2015, 11:49 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
I bet if you stripped away the titles of (R) and (D) and had people vote on the actual issues instead of a party, more of the (R) would win.

What I see is people voting down party lines.

Even though IL may have had (R) governors, let's not kid ourselves into thinking they were really conservative. They were RINOs.

The way that (D) politicians win is by playing the inequality, race and fear card.

You also have those who play the gun control card by saying guns are the reason for violence in areas and not the people. You know why? Because the politicians don't want to offend voters by saying they're the reason for the violence. I've never seen a gun shoot anyone by itself.

The (D) politicians say the (R) politicians are going to take away your government assistance.

The War on Poverty was more concerned about ensuring the black vote to Democrats more than about caring for the lives and well being of blacks. You can Google it but LBJ did say "I'll have those negroes voting democrat for the next 200 years" and he didn't use the word negro, either.

Look at Daley, one of the most powerful Dems in the state. Sold tollway and parking meter revenues. Mortgaged the future income for our children. What have the Madigans done? Look at the awful nepotism and cronyism.

Rauner comes along and wants to cut spending. Why? Because there sure isn't any more money coming in so something has to give.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:37 AM

287 posts, read 1,028,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
there are more dead democrats voting in Chicago than live republicans in the rest of the state
I know Republicans have a bizarre fetish about nonexistant voter fraud and downstaters of a certain type like to imagine Chicago is a fiery hellscape or whatever, but seriously when you're (at best) 50 years behind the times it's time to give it up.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:06 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
I know Republicans have a bizarre fetish about nonexistant voter fraud and downstaters of a certain type like to imagine Chicago is a fiery hellscape or whatever, but seriously when you're (at best) 50 years behind the times it's time to give it up.
Agreed.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:38 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
OK it's because Democrats don't have a sense of humor

Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 AM

509 posts, read 735,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Texas would be a bottom feeder state if oil wasn't so hot. Policy didn't make Texas what it is.
You are correct that oil has driven the prosperity in Texas. Where public policy comes into play is that Texas has not killed the proverbial golden goose with the kinds of taxes, job-killing regulations and corruption that prevails in much of the Midwest. Add to that the fact that Texas is a right to work state and you can see why places like Mont Belvieu or Lake Jackson outside of Houston are doing so much better than a place like Wood River, even though all three are small refinery towns.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:55 PM

341 posts, read 412,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
When I think of Midwest states that usually vote Democrat, I think about the progressives in Minnesota and Iowa, and the Unions of Wisconsin. But when I stop to think about Illinois, I don't understand why they like in the Democratic party. They certainly are not progressive, at least compared to Minneapolis. And unions don't seem to be as prevalent in Illinois as they are in Wisconsin.
Could someone help me about? Thanks!

Illinois Green Party

Old 04-05-2015, 07:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
About 20 years ago the collar counties, possibly except McHenry, were reliably GOP. Today it's about balanced. Part of it is migration from Cook, part reaction to W Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois