Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM

16 posts, read 87,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyorchid View Post
I'm actually getting ready to move to Champaign-Urbana in the next week, too! I'm going there for a temp teaching job but plan on taking grad classes in the Spring semester. I don't really know anyone around there either, although I did graduate from Eastern Illinois (about 45mins away) in December so I kind of know the area. Maybe we could meet up? At least then we'd both know someone. Either way, hope everything works out!
Is that a teaching job at Central High School? If so...I applied for the same job Congratulations on getting it, though! The teachers at Central are awesome...really fun to hang out with. Especially the history department. They're mostly young-ish and single and all good friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_the_OWL View Post
Of course Champaign is also home to "Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches" although what exactly is supposed to be "gourmet" about the place baffles me. The thing looks big, but it is all lettuce with a tiny sliver of meat in it. Unlike Quizznos or Subway you can't choose your toppings and all they don't offer much other than lettuce and tomato. I eat there sometimes because they are the only place open at 1 a.m. but I find it a rather strange, creepy experience to go in the shop. Unlike Subway where they can get by with one or two employees there are 8 to 10 people standing there behind the counter and they all start screaming off some "script" at the top of their lungs. How on earth having 8 employees around at midnight just to make a sandwich is good business practice is beyond me, maybe that's why a bread stuffed with 30 cents of lettuce cost's $6? The creepiest thing though is the way they scream odd sounding greetings at you the whole time you are waiting for the sandwich calling me slang terms like "bud" instead of the proper "Sir" or "Mister." I swear to god this is the way it goes. I walked in and they all started screaming one after another "hi bud how's it going" "Yo bud, how are you doing" "hey bud what's happening" "Hi bud what can I get you" "Yo bud, what's up" "Hey bud, how are you" Then I order and all 8 employees echo the order back and forth at the top of their lungs "number 8 coming up" "number 8 on it's way" "you working on that number 8?" "number 8 coming along" Then they just hand you this sandwich across the counter with no bag or anything for your chips etc. Along comes more creepy scripted dialog, "here you go bud" "hows that bud" "yo bud, enjoy the sandwich" "take care bud" "goodbye bud" "so long bud" "have a good day bud" It reminded me of the creepy workplace Jennifer Aniston's character worked at in Office Space with the "flair."
This is hilarious. I love Jimmy Johns! I guess it's a good thing we have lots of choices for sub sandwiches I like the simple ingredients (it's not all lettuce, but there is a lot of lettuce, which I like. I LOVE the menu because you don't choose your toppings. It's so much easier to order and not have to think about what you want. Too many choices can be stressful and annoying.

Also it's faster than any other sandwich place. And I get the vibe that the employees are a bunch of college students just hanging out and making the occasional sandwich, but not working too hard and having as much fun as possible. Makes for a nice atmosphere, IMO.

Just had to defend my favorite fast-food joint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
ZP, you work at Central or used to? I know at least one or two people that work there.

S_the_Owl - I've been to Jimmy John's a gazillion times and nothing like that has ever happened to me there. I wish it would, though.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM

19 posts, read 88,671 times
Welcome to Central Illinois !!!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 20,133 times
Welcome to central IL. Champaign-Urbana is a great & friendly community. Lots to do here, depending on what you are into. Friday & Sat nights are great for hanging out downtown, and you will always meet new people there.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 37,200 times
Try the Monical's Pizza. Best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois