Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 13,068 times

Advertisements

My 9 year old son started lacrosse this year in Maryland and it seems to be a sport he really loves. I also think it is a lot more fun to watch than his other sports of football, basketball and swimming. We will be relocating to the Peoria area this summer and I can't seem to find any teams anywhere nearby for lacrosse. I am hoping someone can help me find a team he can play on or he will be very disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcogan View Post
My 9 year old son started lacrosse this year in Maryland and it seems to be a sport he really loves. I also think it is a lot more fun to watch than his other sports of football, basketball and swimming. We will be relocating to the Peoria area this summer and I can't seem to find any teams anywhere nearby for lacrosse. I am hoping someone can help me find a team he can play on or he will be very disappointed.
As there are no high school teams in the area, I highly doubt you will find anything.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Yes, lacross is coming soon. A team has been formed in Washingon, IL. Washington is probably about 25 minutes from the northeastern most bridge in Peoria - the McCluggage/ Ironworker's Bridge - which cannects US 24 to US 150 (War Memorial Drive) on the Peoria side of the river.

Where you live may be determined more by how much your husband likes to drive to work on snow and ice than where the nearest lacross team is located. Peoria sprawls like Chicago. Do not misunderstand what I am trying to impart. Washington is a very desireable area that has a good school system and a small shopping area. But, the major shopping. dining and activities are in Peoria as are three hospitals and one of, if not, the largest park district ourside of Chicago. If lacrosse takes off in Washington, it will soon come to Peoria - and possibly formed at the park district.

What I suggest is that you look seriously at Peoria Heights for several reasons. 1-) it is located in the NE side of Peoria just north of War Memorial Drive. 2- Peoria Heights is 3-5 miles from all the major shopping areas inclueing two malls, seven shopping centers, parks, observatory, performing arts, theaters, etc.. 3- miles from the closest hospital. 4- 10 miles from everything else.. What central Illinos does NOT have is Trader Joe's, Costco and IKea. 5- Peoria Heights shares a common border with Peoria. But, it is a Village of 6500 that has spectacular views of the river valley, and lower taxes as it is in the county. 6- It is independent from Peoria and Peoria County. It has its own fire, police, etc., services. 7- It has a K-12 school system that is well regarded. It is a good place to raise children. If you have concerns call the mayor; he's a good neighbor. In the mean time here is an answer to your question.

Spreading message of lacrosse - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

I stronly suggest you come for a few days before you move to orientate yourself to the area. Peoria is probably slower paced than where you live now. There is a lot to consider. You can fly in and rent a car, too.

When you move, you will most likely come accross on 1-80. If you do I i suggest you stay on I-80 to Princeton, IL which is west of I-55 and Chicago and go south on IL Route 29 to Peoria. The scenery is beautiful and it will give you a chance to unwind from the miles of Intestate driving.

When you reach the first bridge in Peoria, you are directly below Peoria Heights. Take a right turn onto the ramp on War Memorial and go to the first light. That is the corner of Prospect and War Memorial. Elmo's Ice cream is on the corner on your left. Turn Right. You are now in Peoria Heights.. (If you go left here you will go to the main park and Glen Oak Zoo. It is on Prospect at Mclure.)

When you leave PH, turn left onto War Memorial - Elmo's will be on the right side. Cross the bridge and continue forward. You will pass IL Central College on your right. Continue. You will come to a light at US 24 intersection. Turn left to go to Washington.

Note: When you immediately cross the bridge, the rirst road is IL 116/Main Streett in East Peoria. It you turn right there are a couple of motels not far on this road. Easy on/off access. If you go the opposite way on 116 you will come to the tows of Germantown Hills and Metamora.

If you stay the night in Princeton, you will have plenty of daylight to enjoy the drive plus give Peoria Heights and Washington a good look. You can also determine how far your husband's employer is from Peoria Heights. If I knew the street where his is located I can perhaps help you a little more Note: I use Peoria Heights as a starting point as it easy to find. And it is easy for me to direct you. Peoria has a good traffic flow to drive in once you know a little bit more about it.

Welcome home. If you have other questios, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Default Thank you so much for the information Linicx

My husband will be working at Eastport Plaza on North Main Street in East Peoria. I hadn't thought of looking in Peoria Heights and Washington but will have to do some research on those towns. The towns I had been looking at were Morton, Germantown Hills and Dunlap as really good schools are my biggest priority. My husband is fine with up to a 1/2 hour commute as we live in the DC Metro area and the traffic here is terrible and it can take you 1/2 hour to go 5 miles. Thank you so much for the link for the article about the person trying to bring lacrosse to the midwest. It gives us hope that he may be able to play at some point.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 PM

East Peoria? You want Robein. It's half way betwen EP and WAshington. Very desirable area and awesome school, too. The 1/2 hour drive in the Peoria area is nothing because you don't have DC traffic and presidential motorcades to dodge. Washington is an awesome little town. It always been under-rated by snobs. Don't wast your time on research because you will find little I will send you a private message with some information about Washington and what to expect.
It's 14, 000 people.

A little pop up thing will announce you a Notificationl. Click okay and scroll down. It if doesn't woro, click close and scroll down. You'll see my name under the message.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:46 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,144 times
Anyone have a contact for that Washington team? I have an 8 year old that might be interested in trying the sport.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
Anyone have a contact for that Washington team? I have an 8 year old that might be interested in trying the sport.
The names and info are in the article I posted. Call the City of Washington, and if that doesn't work call the PJS writer.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
CCI

2 posts, read 8,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcogan View Post
Hi I'm the area representative for CCI Center for Cultural Interchange for foreign exchange students. I'm looking for a volunteer host family for a young boy from Germany that loves Lacrosse. If I find a place for lacrosse in the area I will let you know. Take care!

Last edited by CCI; 08-07-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
CCI

2 posts, read 8,512 times
Hi I found this one for Lacrosse in Chicago LakeShore Lacrosse here is the address and the website www.lakeshorelacrosse.com (http://www.lakeshorelacrosse.com - broken link)

Mailing Address:
Lakeshore Lacrosse
3830 N. Ashland Ave, Suite 2
Chicago, IL 60613

Hope this help. Take Care

Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Lacrosse contact information for Washington Illinois

Matt LaHood at ******** is the contact. Phone number was in the Washington Park District program guide. I think it was listed on page 24 or 25. My husband spoke to him and they apparently tried to run a lacrosse program last fall and the weather conditions were not good. They are going to do it as a Spring sport. He was very informative and it sounds like a lot of the games are in the Chicago area due to lack of teams in this area.

FROM MODERATOR: PLEASE CONTACT THE POSTER.*OR THE CITY OF WASHINGTON. ILLINOIS FOR THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE LACROSS CONTACT. THANK YOU.

Last edited by linicx; 09-01-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois