Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

I currenly live in bankston Alabama. I want to know more about galena illinois. Its cool down south here. How is illinois in comparison to Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
If you want to start a Bankston vs Galena thread, then go to the City Vs City forum and start one. If you are just curious you can find a wealth of information on Google, Bing, Cd-Fourms and the assorted Wiki's

Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM

24 posts, read 102,926 times
Galena is very different from much of Illinois. Whereas much of the state is flat farmland, the area around Galena is hilly and very scenic. It's a popular ski area, and there are many interesting shops and restored buildings that make the town a nice vacation spot.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,190,359 times
If you think Alabama is cool, then IL will seem frigid.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Galena is in what's called the "Driftless Area." It's the one part of the upper Midwest that didn't get scraped pool-table flat by advancing glaciers. Visually, the Driftless Area looks a lot like the Appalachian foothills you'll find in northern Alabama.

Most of the Driftless Area is situated along the Wisconsin/Minnesota and Wisconsin/Iowa border, but a very tiny corner of northwest Illinois is in the Driftless Area. Galena sits in that corner. Additionally, Galena's downtown core has a large percentage of buildings and homes dating back to the Civil War era (yes, that's what we call it up here), which is a rarity in the region. So, combine these two rare features and that makes Galena a major, major tourist attraction. And since a good many of those tourists are from the Chicago area, Galena's vibe is a lot more metropolitan than your average Midwest small town. A lot of Galena property owners are from the Chicago area and use Galena as their weekend/vacation home. Which brings me to another point, Galena real estate is notably more expensive than your average middle-of-nowhere small town.

Comparing Illinois to Alabama... if you'll pardon the pejorative, rural Illinois is a lot less redneckish than Alabama. I would also say that upper Midwest culture is a lot more introverted, so it may be harder to get more than a superficial "hi how are you today" conversation from someone until you've been around long enough not to be a stranger. Until then, trying to initiate a more in-depth conversation will have some folks thinking you're nosy and meddlesome. This is increasingly the case the further north you go. Other than that, I would say rural Illinois has much of the same basic populist-conservative "middle America" values as the rural South. Except in heavily tourist-trafficked places like Galena.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,321,471 times
I lived in Galena for years and would love to go back. Their darn property taxes is keeping me at the moment. But... that is one neat town. The country is beautiful and hilly and you have a ski lodge down the street pratically. Go for a visit you'll love it but it can get quite cold in the winter. I remember having to hire someone to dig my septic tank at -3 degrees one year.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,283,896 times
Lowest here (in Chicago area) was -27F a decade or so back if I recall. But it is regularly below 0 F for many days normally every winter. Snow cover can be iffy though and many winters lately we have alot of freezes and thaws which plays h*ll with the plants.
I love Galena, would not mind moving to that area. but alas IL taxes may drive us out of state if we are able to retire someday. I am sure alabama taxes are way lower.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,321,471 times
I feel the same way you do gardener. It is the taxes. I would be selling my ranch here in Oklahoma way more than what I would buy in Galena (I know the prices there by heart) but my prooperty taxes would be many thousands less on my property here at a higher price ownership than in Galena. I didn't really think about property taxes when I lived there; I guess I thought that was normal. But now looking at retirement, I am not sure I want to pay those taxes on less of iincome most likely in retirement.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 50,398 times
I am thinking of buying a home in Galena. I am curious if there are "bad" areas of Galena. A home I'm interested in is off of Franklin and Division.. Can someone from Galena tell me if this is suitable area regarding perhas more crime than normal although I'm aware Galena's crime is way under the average. Also, I am curous as to why of a town of only 3000 or so their Hispanic population is significantly above the city average in Illinois. over 11%.. is this due to the resorts there? Thank You anyone with more info.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagun61 View Post
I am thinking of buying a home in Galena. I am curious if there are "bad" areas of Galena. A home I'm interested in is off of Franklin and Division.. Can someone from Galena tell me if this is suitable area regarding perhas more crime than normal although I'm aware Galena's crime is way under the average. Also, I am curous as to why of a town of only 3000 or so their Hispanic population is significantly above the city average in Illinois. over 11%.. is this due to the resorts there? Thank You anyone with more info.
There is no bad areas of Galena. There aren't even any remotly sketchy areas in Galena. There are simply areas where the housing stock is less expensive than in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois