Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM

105 posts, read 298,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_the_OWL View Post
They didn't even try to cut spending, just reach into our pockets. The educational racket is one of the worst, they keep using slogans about education to sucker the gullible public into raising their salaries and increasing the bureaucracy. I remember they wanted more money for the wasteful School District 26 back in the 80s. When the voters turned it down they responded by punishing the kids. Of all the things to cut, (there are self styled "experts" heading the district making $300K, $100K is too much) they cut the bus service to one pickup for an entire neighborhood, making us all walk nearly a half mile to a busy road where the bus would come pickup 30 kids at once. These Union Rats need to be treated the same way Reagan dealt with the Aircraft Controllers.
Exactly. People who are making way too much money plus a Govt. pension probabaly. Fire 'em all and hire some people that will work a decent wage without complaining (there's plenty that will).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymaple View Post
First off, abolishing the death penalty is just stupid and shows that we don't take serious crimes seriously. After the tax hike Quinn says "We're going to face some hard times with the cutbacks" or something along those lines. So we pay 66% tax increase to face more cutbacks? This is what Illinois should do, but of course they won't:

-Cut off all support of illegal aliens (school, medicare, foodstamp, SS, housing)
-Begin cracking down on illegal aliens and employers. If caught employing illegal aliens you should have your business license revoked and pay 50k per head. Deport all illegals that are caught.
-Raise taxes for 1-2 years to pay for a major crackdown on illegal immigration
-Decrease all of the foodstamps, healthcare, college grants and unemployment

Take away the tons and tons of illegal aliens draining IL and the corrupt politicians that keep getting voted in again and again. Once the state cleans up it's illegal alien problem then lower property taxes and make it easier for businesses to survive and maybe IL will start gaining some population because right now the only migration to IL is from illegals the rest of the people are leaving.
Oh yeah.. And then everyone else employed at the business might lose their jobs too? How wonderful.

How about NO MORE CORPORATE BAIL OUTS and start spending less tax dollars on prisons, police and criminal justice. Obviously not in places that need it but most of Illinois isn't the hood. People caught smoking pot or committing misdemeanors shouldn't be incarcerated on the tax dollar's dime.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oh yeah.. And then everyone else employed at the business might lose their jobs too? How wonderful.

How about NO MORE CORPORATE BAIL OUTS and start spending less tax dollars on prisons, police and criminal justice. Obviously not in places that need it but most of Illinois isn't the hood. People caught smoking pot or committing misdemeanors shouldn't be incarcerated on the tax dollar's dime.
In the long run Americans will lose alot more jobs to illegals if we let them continue, rather then stop the problem now. Take a trip to Southern CA where almost every single job is taken by an illegal. It's already started happening in Chicago. Wonder why CA is in such bad shape? Every single public service is being raped by illegals and then people say "cut schooling! raise taxes!" just so they can hand out more money to the illegals so that they can be voted in next time round. Then the people who actually pay taxes and work move out of CA and some more illegals take their job, send their anchor children to college and school on the taxpayers dime, gets food stamps and welfare, free healthcare, subsidized housing and the list goes on and on. IL could clean up their act but they won't. More people will taxpayers and contributors of society will move out as more illegals move in and it's the CA story all over again.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times
I wonder if Boeing regrets moving their corporate headquarters to Chicago from Seattle a few years ago. Never really undertood why they did that.Maybe these new taxes won't affect them much.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
In the long run Americans will lose alot more jobs to illegals if we let them continue, rather then stop the problem now. Take a trip to Southern CA where almost every single job is taken by an illegal. It's already started happening in Chicago. Wonder why CA is in such bad shape? Every single public service is being raped by illegals and then people say "cut schooling! raise taxes!" just so they can hand out more money to the illegals so that they can be voted in next time round. Then the people who actually pay taxes and work move out of CA and some more illegals take their job, send their anchor children to college and school on the taxpayers dime, gets food stamps and welfare, free healthcare, subsidized housing and the list goes on and on. IL could clean up their act but they won't. More people will taxpayers and contributors of society will move out as more illegals move in and it's the CA story all over again.
Maybe if those in economic power hadn't shipped all the industrial jobs to China, there wouldn't be so many unemployed people.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Hallooo..... the illegals were working in Chicago in the 60s and hiding in the shadows. They did not want to get caught and deported either.

Here is a question: If you get your wish, who will pick the crops that lay fallow in the fields?. Who will work in the blood and guts in the packing plants and slaughter houses? Who will mop the floors and clean up after sick patients in the nation's hospitals? How many Aericans do you know that want those jobs?
I don't know any. The last generation of Americans who were willing to work in terrible conditions to eat and have a place to sleep are now 80-yrs old or dead.

Yes. more Americans may lose jobs. Our job is to create jobs that pay a living wage that are not easily outsourced. This is our challenge. Can Americans rise to the occasion? I think we can.

Quote:
In the long run Americans will lose alot more jobs to illegals if we let them continue, rather then stop the problem now. Take a trip to Southern CA where almost every single job is taken by an illegal. It's already started happening in Chicago. .. snip....

Last edited by linicx; 01-17-2011 at 04:47 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Unfortunately, it's not just the income tax.
We have the highest gas prices in the country b/c of all the taxes.
Highest cigarette taxes (which I'm actually OK with).
Highest sales tax.
Next time you get your cell phone bill or cable bill, count the number of taxes and fees added on.
Soon to be the highest parking rate.
Soon to be higher toll road rates.
The list goes on and on.

Like any of us on this board, politicians aren't going to cut back when they get access to more money, they're going to increase spending. Guaranteed.
My gas bill is around 5 bucks a month, plus 25 in taxes. equalling out 30. I only have gas for my stove.

Quote:
I know several restaurant workers/cab drivers that are illegal. It isn't uncommon at all.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Hallooo..... the illegals were working in Chicago in the 60s and hiding in the shadows. They did not want to get caught and deported either.

Here is a question: If you get your wish, who will pick the crops that lay fallow in the fields?. Who will work in the blood and guts in the packing plants and slaughter houses? Who will mop the floors and clean up after sick patients in the nation's hospitals? How many Aericans do you know that want those jobs?
I don't know any. The last generation of Americans who were willing to work in terrible conditions to eat and have a place to sleep are now 80-yrs old or dead.

Yes. more Americans may lose jobs. Our job is to create jobs that pay a living wage that are not easily outsourced. This is our challenge. Can Americans rise to the occasion? I think we can.
Yeah, I know they were here back in the 60's but no where close to the amount that there is now. They were also hiding as you said. Now they're out in the open like they own it. Americans have been known as farmers and workers of the land ever since this country was founded. When the dust bowl happened and the Okies fled to CA, there were plenty of Americans picking crops for a much lower wage and worse conditions. Meat packing jobs used to be a great paying job in America done by Americans. It wasn't that long ago. I do agree with you that Americans aren't like they were such as the ww2 generation. Btw, not trying to fight or anything it's just my view on the matter.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Who will mop the floors and clean up after sick patients in the nation's hospitals? How many Aericans do you know that want those jobs?
I don't know any.
Yeah right..

I know many young people who are looking for a job, any job.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Yeah right..

I know many young people who are looking for a job, any job.
I think alot of people in Chicago would definately take about any job and I also think that goes for the small towns and farming areas in centeral and southern IL. Granted that there are a ton feeding off the system there are alot that would jump at the chance. All these jobs people say illegals only do are all jobs that was considered good for an American to have 15 years ago. Construction, landscape, meat packing not to mention a teens first job flipping burgers, cleaning, picking orchards, helping out with the harvest depending on your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois